[FeatureRequest] Select you own icon for a device

Yes. But at the moment it’s only functional for certain apps like Device Capabilities’ Adv. Virtual Device, and Home Assistant Community.
When you pick a custom icon during the device adding process, you can replace icons afterwards as well, as many times as you like.
Besides uploading your custom icon, both apps provide for tons of ‘on-board’ icons to choose from.

So, in theory, Athom should be able to implement similar functionality imho :wink:

This is no new info for me, that it’s possible in some Apps. But I guess it’s technically not the same if you use a App or inside of the Homey App.

Thanks @Doekse for the update, appreciate that.
I can only find the door sensor. However, I think the others will come with an update.

For the non-technical users (like my wife), it would be great to have more intuitiv (or simple?) icon which is related to the event. She is using the app to check a temperature or if the washing machine is still running. :slight_smile:

Because of that I would prefere for example for a temperature sensor an icon with a thermometer, instead of a sensor case with a small thermometer
Unbenannt
for a motion sensor
images
Water sensor
grafik
smoke sensor
grafik
grafik

I hope that was understandable what I tried to explain. :open_mouth:

I had in mind it is about device tiles. Here almost all of these tiles are device tiles, from apps, not Homey app tiles.
Which icons are you referring to?
The Energy and Climate buttons at the top?

I meant these tile icons, just to clarify

I’m talking about the device tiles, not the widgets what you call Energy and Climate buttons.

In my opinion it will be definitely a different, if the developer of a Homey device/tool app add a feature to be able to upload an own icon inside his app, or Athom implements the feature in the GUI of the smartphone/tablet app.

Btw, please let us end to this discussion. We both seem to have no idea if it’s possible, and if so, how much work it will be. This should be answered by Athom, to which my question in post #61 was addressed.

So If we are talking about zone the following are an issue for me

• Driveway
  • Porch
  • Entrance / Lobby
  • (ok) Hallway
  • Mud Room
  • (ok) Lounge
  • (ok) Kitchen
  • Butlers Kitchen
  • Pantry
  • (ok) Dining
  • Elevator
  • (ok - kinda) Stairs* 2x
  • Powder Room
  • Balcony
  • (ok) Garage
  • Rumpus
  • Living Room
  • Wine Cellar
  • Guest Bedroom
  • N+1 Bedroom (only icon is a single bed)
  • Walk in Robe
  • Office (I use the library)
  • (ok) Study
  • Utility/Server Room
  • (ok) Laundry
  • Kitchenette
  • Alfresco
  • Ensuite
  • (ok) Toilet
  • (ok) Bathroom
  • Landing
  • Third floor hallway
  • (ok) Master Bedroom
  • Master Ensuite
  • Dressing Room
  • His WIR
  • Retreat
  • Shed
  • Garage
  • Underhouse

None of these exist … but a tent and 1980 telephone exist … Would be great to see more options. Just throw a search on it, let us choose what works for us. And the same applies to the devices.

Purely just off the top of my head : No chandelier there isnt even a physical light switch (for in wall smart switches and dimmers), (virtual activity) , shower, Cars, couch, bed, clock, doorbell, multi sensor, person, cupboard door, letterbox, Tap, exhaust fan, light heater, diffuser, electric blanket, wine fridge, bullet camera, internal camera, garage door, outdoor heater, step lights, aircon, heater, split system, water fountain, solar heater, solar, home battery, doors and windows (for contact not window coverings or locks) etc.

Having to explain to her what the motion sensor in each and eveyroom looks like is actually a really issue. So much so I created virtual sensors (with the same icon I uploaded) for each and every room

As mentioned by Warmduscher, a set of icons related to the purpose rather then the physical look would be really useful. (power?)

It’s not just about icons that don’t exist, it’s also about providing common icons we can use across the house - ie my wife doesn’t care that the motion sensor in the bathroom is a present e sensor, the one in the study is an aeotec, the one in the lounge is a fibaro and the one in the garage is hue …… let us use a si how icon for all the devices we choose so as to make a better experience. That could be as simple as letting us use any icon from any app we have installed?

All the icons a very much “euro” the light switches and sockets in australia look nothing like the ones in the app.

Finally the device icons feel to be very opinionated - not everyone lives in an industrial themed house, yet there are two light globes in a glass jar.

If your worried that this could be overwhelming, make all the icons available - but put a search on it - then set it to be an experimental feature that has to be enabled. Microsoft Office actually search online for svgs for icons in powerpoint.

3 Likes

I fully support the post from jamie.
Thanks @Jamie to bring up also my topics in a better English. :rofl: :joy:

Another batch of icons coming your way :wink:

4 Likes

One still on my wishlist would be some kind of water tap for my garden watering controller (or maybe at least some plants which look more outdoorsy?)

A tap, both indoor and outdoor, are on the list!

2 Likes

Hi,
some technical details about device icons and how our apps are using it (or bypass :-)):

• Fixed icon: You add a svg file to your app and define the file path in your driver JSON file.
    Then the device is showing this icon (and only this).

• The indivudual upload is done in this way:
    The app offers an upload view.
    If selected, a user svg file is uploaded into the /userdata/ folder of the app named unique for the device.
    The device definition gets this file path&name on pairing. So the device loads the uploaded file.
    In such a file is replaced, simple the file is replaced with another one. It’s not possible to change the device icon path afterwards

• The HA Comminuty app has a MaterialDesignIcon access. Harrie (MqttHub) allowed me to copy from his app. It uses a font file including icons to show the list. After selecting an icon, it’s downloaded from materialdesignicons.com (or https://pictogrammers.com now).

• So Homey could add a default pair view for device icon selection using https://pictogrammers.com like HomeAssistant is doing

• Or as small solution: The device definition (device JSON) could hold an array of svg’s and the device settings could allow the selection of one of them. I already suggested this on Slack to Emile.
    grafik

I think the biggest issue with integrating some external sources is that you are potentially overloading the user with icons which don’t necessarily make sense in the smart home context (mdi alone has over 2500 icons) and they are very painful to search (as most icon libs don’t provide alias names).

Also from Athoms perspective I kind of get that they want devices to follow a somewhat consistent style (see Driver Icons Guidelines) which for example Material Design Icons don’t follow at all.

All that said I still think that there should be at least the possibility to upload custom svg icons (maybe even globally to your Homey so you can reuse them) for people who really want them. And also access to some official assets to create icons which are more consistent with the existing ones would be great.

2 Likes

Hi,
could Athom create a Github Repo and upload SVGs there?

And about the icon guidelines… The last icons with cars and switches are a bit off, or? :thinking:
For my taste a bit too childish and playful for the adult homey :sweat_smile:

We already have a GitHub Repo that can be used to request official icons if you are building an App, it can be found here.

In regards to your comments about the guidelines they are quite simple;

1. The canvas size should be 960x960px.

2. Always use the full canvas, so the icon is displayed properly.

3. If possible use an angle from the right side instead of front facing.

4. Make sure to use the right line width (40px for the outline, 20px for details and 10px for minor details)

The switches are designed for use in the UK, US, and Australia, so they may appear slightly different from standard EU light switches :wink:

1 Like

Ah yes, I remember.
It would be nice if also capability icons can be added there.

1 Like

Good point! Will check that.

1 Like

My own created ones

For those who are interested in some specific device icons… I’ve shared my custom icons here: Homey Device Icons by Bas

4 Likes

For those in need of an icon.
Lots of choice here: https://thenounproject.com/

1 Like

And here a simple editor (crop svg)
Click on “all tools” at the top to see the tools available

1 Like