Cycle Hue Scenes with IKEA Tradfri Strybar Remote

Hi! Does anyone know if there’s a way to set up an IKEA Tradfri Strybar Remote to cycle through Philips Hue Scenes with the “next” and “previous” arrow buttons? Or any other non-Hue remote for that matter.

I am looking for a similar behavior like the Philips Hue Dim Switch has.

Currently, I can use the arrow buttons only to set a specific scene.

My setup

• Philips hue lights are connected through the Hue Bridge in Homey
  • IKEA Tradfri Strybar Remote is connected to Homey without the IKEA Tradfri Bridge/Hub

I solved this with a variable.

Philips Hue Scene +
When…
– Right button was pressed
Then…
– Calculate variable HueLights as {{HueLights +1}}

Philips Hue Scene -
When…
– Left button was pressed
Then…
– Calculate variable HueLights as {{HueLights -1}}

Set Philips Hue Scene #1
When…
– Variable HueLights has changed
And…
– Variable HueLights is 1
Then…
– Set Hue Scene #1

Set Philips Hue Scene #2
When…
And…
– Variable HueLights is 2
Then…
– Set Hue Scene #2

Create the same flows for Hue scenes 3-5 *¹

Switch from the last Hue Scene (No. 5) to the first Hue Scene (No. 1) by pressing +
When…
And…
– Variable HueLights is 6 *¹
Then…
– Set variable HueLights to 1

Switch from the first Hue Scene (No. 1) to the last Hue Scene (No. 5) by pressing -
When…
And…
– Variable HueLights is 0 *¹
Then…
– Set variable HueLights to 5

*¹ In this example I assume that there are 5 Hue scenes in total.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! As a software developer I feel pretty stupid now haha. This is a lot cleaner than the way I did it. I manually set the scene variable number after each click and the corresponding scene. Even your improved example still seems like a lot of work… Too much work to be honest haha. Is there a more streamlined way of doing is? I could look in to making an app for homey if some could verify that something like this is possible (not sure what the api looks like or if you even can access switches from other brands like IKEA)

I don’t know if there is an other, easier method. I also don’t know if it’s possible to develop an app for this. But I know where to find the API documentation… :wink:

1 Like