[BUG] TP-Link Kasa devices get "rate limited" error every day

Reading is more useful than wishing :wink::wink:
Only I didn’t check which models are supported. So pls follow the link to see:

2 Likes

I actually use that app. But it does not support all my Kasa devices. But thanks for your input :roll_eyes:

Thats a bummer, sorry.

I used to use that app as well, but the firmware updates on my bulbs and the app no longer works.

Any updates on this?

No news and it looks, based on the original date, it will not be a solution.
I decided to return the product to Amazon and if they solve it, I will but it again

I do have an update! We’ve had a call with the development team at TP-Link and I can give the TDLR;

The TP-Link Kasa API currently relies on polling to retrieve updates from devices, meaning Homey must periodically check with TP-Link to get the status of your devices. While this method works, it leads to significant, often unnecessary, network traffic since Homey continues to poll for updates regardless of whether device statuses have changed. We have previously suggested to TP-Link that implementing webhooks would be a more efficient approach, where TP-Link would actively notify Homey whenever there’s a status change in a device.

Additionally, TP-Link has introduced their Tapo line of devices, which operates on a different API. We’ve now launched an official Tapo App and are encountering the same ‘rate limit’ issues, despite assurances that this new API would prevent such problems.

In our meeting today, TP-Link announced their plan to offer a webhook-based API for their Tapo devices. This API will also support the older Kasa devices. However, before we can provide a definitive solution, our team needs to review this new API. After that, we will need to rewrite both the Tapo and Kasa Apps to utilize this updated approach.

It appears that TP-Link initially underestimated the impact our requirements would have on their API and is now actively seeking a solution. Please be assured that we are doing everything within our power to resolve this issue efficiently. TP-Link’s cooperation, however, has been less than optimal in facilitating this process :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I’m very happy to see that this is being worked on so diligently!

1 Like

I was able to turn 2 lights on and off about 10 times in a row and didn’t get the rate limit messages - seems pretty good to me

Not sure if there have been any further changes?

Has been pretty good up until about a week ago, seems to be mostly getting the rate limited again now :confused:

Could be that TP-Link has put the limits back in place, I unfortunately haven’t heard back from TP-Link in regards to the API. We are planning to transfer the Tapo App to the new webhook based API soon so hopefully that will also bring some good news for Kasa :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I still get this error very regular

2024-06-05 10:06:10.678 [xavier] [INFO] Red Wine Fridge is now available
2024-06-05 10:16:09.046 [xavier] [INFO] Red Wine Fridge is no longer available [Rate Limited]

It lasted 10 minutes after becoming available again before it was rate limited again.

Or in the last 6 hours (for a single device)

You can see from the times - its very predictable I would guess related to polling.

Starting to happen to me but luckily I only have two plugs.

Looks like I’ll be throwing them in the bin as I cant see it being resolved if people have been talking about it for two years and its still happening.