Backup

Hi,

Just got new stuff from the Homey store today that expanded my Homey devices again, it is getting more and more complex and important and the fact that there is no backup possibility yet is starting to become a more and more frightening idea. The Trello board and lates behind the magic show now plans or progress anymore, so I was thinking about some form of work-around.

Is there anything we could export and import from / to homey already? Even if it is technical? Could we for example export/import a list of the Z-Wave ID’s / configuration?

Is there a way to export the list of devices and flows to readable form so I at least know what to reconfigure in case of catastrophe the way it all works now?

Any workaround even if it is not implemented within the GUI would easy my mind a bit on this. I’d almost put Homey in a safe at the moment.

Hope to hear from you,

Best regards,

Arjan.

Backup and restore is announced for V2.1. it is mentioned in behind the magic july. There is An app for flow backup but nothing more than that.

I use Homey Flow Viewer when I’ve changed some flows. I print the overview to a PDF file. So I have an overview what flows and settings I use.

1 Like

https://apps.athom.com/app/com.gruijter.insights2csv

This app can be used to export all insights to excel. No restore funtionality though.

Thanks! I’ll try those. Is there also something to export/import Z-Wave devices? I have some of my Z-Wave switches build in to places I don’t want to reach ever again, so setting them to learn mode again would be a pain.

When is the Athom team planning to launch backup? Before backup is in place, it is a no-go for me to buy Homey. Since I am planning automate all heating, lighting and security for a my whole house, I cannot risk that all settings are gone if the Homey breaks down. And I have to say that is rather surprising that this is not supported from day number one from the Athom team…

v2.1 https://blog.athom.com/behind-magic-july-2018/

Backup & Restore

Homey v2.0 has a new settings storage (based on SQLite), and from v2.0 Homey Apps are automatically using this improved storage as well.

Homey v2.1 will then include Backup & Restore functionality, which backups your Homey’s settings to the cloud. We’re still uncertain if the Homey Smartphone App will include Wi-Fi Setup at launch, but if we didn’t make it, Homey v2.1 certainly will, because it’s required for this feature.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Jamie! What is the actual launch date for this 2.1 version supporting backup?

There is no release date for v2.1, work on v2.0 is complete but is awaiting the new smart phone app.

I must say that I was feeling exactly the same as @kentok, not being able to do a backup and restore is serious almost deal-braking lack of functionality. Ok, as long this will be soon I can accept this and will wait any bigger or to say serious deployment until backup is available.

This is an essential feature, I would have expected it before a major update, not after. How many honeys got stuck in the irreversible update process to 2.0?
Last year my homey froze up. Athom could not restore it. I had to rebuild my 60 node zwave network from scratch. Very annoying. Never want to that again!
Is there a release date for 2.1?

No, there is no date yet but Athom said in one conversation that they are planing to create import / export possibility for migration to new Homey pro in next two months cca. I see this import / export as almost backup solution.

As long as it can reconstruct the mesh networks with same controller ID…
Anybody from Athom who can confirm this?

Probably that’s the problem they’ve been working on all this time…

any news regarding the full backup and restore functionality in homey / homey pro?

1 Like

For a workaround / Community solution see:

Version 2.3 was released and still no backup. As someone whose Zera died and recently had Homey drop all my Hue lights; backup would have been a huge time saver. My Homey setup is too large and complex to simply just start again.

When there is no backup, any crash make me seriously think about changing platform (as the effort is the same). Don’t make me do it Homey!

Thank you so much for your thread here. I’m a also a newbie. But I would like to know about it.

There is a community-built Backup&Restore app: Community Backup & Restore for Homey v2 [Alpha Version]

Be aware that it is not capable to backup and restore the Z-Wave or Zigbee network. It needs an Athom supported solution for that. There could be a workaround, it is also suggested within that thread, but I could not test is.