[APP][Pro] Watts Live MQTT

Watts Live MQTT integrates the smart power meter from Watts.dk into Homey.

The smart meter supports sending live data to a MQTT broker, and this app consumes that data, and exposes the smart power meter inside Homey.

To use it you will need a MQTT broker. If you don’t already have one, the excellent MQTT Broker app for Homey works just fine.

Once you’ve setup the broker, and created a login for the Watts Live device, you can then proceed to the actual setup of the device. Watts has a description for setting it up with Home Assistant, and you can skip step sections 1 and 2.

Next up you need the MQTT Client app for Homey, which you need to configure to connect to the broker running on your Homey Pro.

Finally you can install the Watts Live MQTT App. It automatically detects and connects to your MQTT Broker via the client app, and detects all Watts Live devices sending data to that broker.

Production metric are not included on initial setup as there is no way to tell if the device has production or not. Instead these can be enabled from the app settings once installed.

1 Like

I get this error when trying to add Watts Live MQTT, I have followed the instructions and know the MQTT Broker is working as I can subscribe to the watts topic using a MQTT client on my PC with the same settings as I used with the MQTT client on Homey, but it does not find anything.

When you look at the watts topic, does it say /watts/+ or does it say /watts/some identifier/ ?

If it’s a plus sign then your watts device is not connected to the broker.

Also, is your Honey MQTT client connected ? You can check the logs of the client to see if it connects.

When I get the time, I will implement MQTT directly into the Watts app, as this seems to cause more trouble than I anticipated. It is however not trivial to do, so it will take some time.

The watts topic is “watts/some identifier/measurement”

I am not sure what to look for in the client log other than it subscribing to some sys topic.

Thanks for the quick reply and for making this app, I have been looking forward to be able to integrate watts into Homey :smile:

I think I may have an idea about what goes wrong.
Can you try out the test version and tell me if that fixes your problem ?

I get the same error “Der er opstået en ukendt fejl [null]”

the MQTT message I receive from watts looks like this

{
  "positive_active_energy": 23513810,
  "negative_active_energy": 0,
  "positive_reactive_energy": 13500,
  "negative_reactive_energy": 22035350,
  "positive_active_power": 5013,
  "negative_active_power": 0,
  "positive_reactive_power": 0,
  "negative_reactive_power": 523,
  "voltage_l1": 235,
  "voltage_l2": 230,
  "voltage_l3": 233,
  "current_l1": 0.5,
  "current_l2": 12.43,
  "current_l3": 9.21,
  "positive_active_power_l1": 58,
  "positive_active_power_l2": 2807,
  "positive_active_power_l3": 2148,
  "negative_active_power_l1": 0,
  "negative_active_power_l2": 0,
  "negative_active_power_l3": 0
}

I just published a new version to test with more/better error handling, and more error messages. Could you give that a try ?

I’m not seeing any crashes in Homey, so I’m kinda shooting blind here :slight_smile:

Still fails with null, I have tried creating a diagnosis report with id
335427e7-62a8-478f-849d-fad5d8ca68f3

Thanks, using the diagnostic report I think I was able to replicate the issue on my local Homey, and I have pushed a build to test that fixes the problem for my instance.

Could you give it a try before I promote it from testing :slight_smile:

Yes, now it works :smiley: I can select and add it and it shows all the values. Thank you!

1 Like

Is this working anywhere? Did anyone avctually manage to connect it? I get the same error; simply the text “null” when clicking the “connect” button on the devices

It certainly works, and I’m chasing down the “null” error, but essentially it just means it cannot find your device.

The most common problem with not finding a device is because MQTT is not properly configured.

I’m working on, but nowhere near finished, a built in MQTT connection instead of using MQTT Client as that seems to cause much confusion.