[APP][Pro] Support for ONVIF compatible cameras (Release 2.0.41)

The reply I got back from FOSCAM was:

Hi Adrian,

Thank uo for getting in touch, unfortunately motion detection will not work through ONVIF and this is common with most manufacturer.

Usually the basics work like live viewing and recording but anything else extra like motion which is software based may not.

Kind Regards
Foscam UK

So it seems they do the motion detection in their app and not in the camera. I’m not sure I agree with the statement about ‘common with most manufacturer’ though but my experience is only based on a few cameras.

Luckily I picked up a ‘box damaged’ camera cheap from Amazon so I didn’t waste too much money to discover this.

Ah, ok. The statement that motion is software based is not true. The camera does onboard motion detection. I use that to record streams to the sd card, and that works very well. The camera can also send an email on motion, and more fancy stuff. So it beats me why they didnt implement it in Onvif.

Anyhow, thx for your research🍻

I can’t find a way to prove or disprove that :wink:
The only way I can access the camera is through their app (apart from snapshots) so I have no way of knowing where that processing is being done.
I haven’t put an SD card in the camera yet so I don’t know what that unlocks but all I can do is get notifications on my phone when motion is detected but where does that come from :thinking:
If you find out anything then let me know as I would also like to make this work.

Adrian, I installed 0.0.16. I get the same error messages as at 0.015. I sent the log. The motion detection has stopped responding since version 0.0.14, in version 0.0.13 it worked.

OK, I will keep investigating.
Regards motion detection, I am not seeing that being switched on in the log. There should be the message ‘###### Waiting for events ######’ coming up just after ‘Supported Events:…’ if motion is switched on.

Adrian, you’re right. I forgot to turn it on in the app. motion detection works.

1 Like

I have found that the call to listen for events was in the adding camera section and not the general connect to camera section so it events would be enabled when adding a camera (but I think the option is switched off at that point) and also when the option is toggled. But it would not be called when the app starts up. So I that will be changed in the next update.

Can you confirm if the ‘NOW’ image is working or are both the ‘NOW’ and MOTION EVENT’ still broken?

Motion event works but Now event does not

When you say ‘event’ do you mean image, as in are you seeing the images themselves?
The reason I ask is the log only shows an error for the event image and not the now image.

And you say motion event works, so does that means you see an image there or just the alarm indicator activates?

I don’t see an image

1 Like

Adrian I see the choice Motion Event in Ben’s post 4 days ago. I don’t have this choice

I had sort of come to that conclusion :slight_smile:
That confirms to me that the image is not working for either method.
I will continue to search for answers.

There is a new test version (0.0.17) that allows the snapshot URL to be overridden in the advanced settings. If the new setting is blank then the app will use the URL that is returned from the ONVIF getSnapshotURL function. However, if this URL does not work then you can enter the full URL to one that ‘hopefully’ does work.
If the URL requires your login credentials then you can either enter directly them as part of the URL or you can use #USERNAME# and #PASSWORD# as placeholders that are replaced with the previously defined user name and password.

@Octo maybe you can try this to see if another URL works for you.

Another test version (0.0.18) that adds ‘Authorization’: ‘Basic …’ headers to the image fetch commands.

1 Like

Yet another test version (0.0.19) that:

• Added the Authorization’: ‘Basic …’ headers to the event image fetch commands (previous version only added it to the NOW image).
  • Added an option to the advanced settings to switch Authorization html headers on / off. If you see the ‘Forbidden’ or ‘Unauthorised’ error message in the snapshot view then switch this option on.

I have added a description / instructions for the app to the first post.

A new test version is available (0.0.20) that adds Digest Authorization with auto detection when non, Basic, Digest headers are required.
Hopefully this should solve some of the ‘Unauthorised’ errors when fetching the snapshots form some cameras.

1 Like

Hi Adrian, just to let you and everyone know that your Onvif camera app works great together with my new app for face recognition. It is pending approval in the appstore at the moment :slight_smile:

https://community.homey.app/t/29058

large

1 Like