Well. I performed another reset and this worked as well. Me not having Sunny explorer installed (I’m a Linux Mint guy, for a year now) tried another way. Disconnect the DC side (solar panels) of the inverter, disconnect the AC side (by disabeling the fuse). Then wait a little while and reconnect all, and SMA Energy app is working fine again!
Yeah, that’s what I do in “lazy mode”. It reboots the inverter and solves it as well.
But this should best be done while dark: disconnecting DC power from active solar panels can cause huge electric arcs, which can damage or even destroy your DC switch. Not to mention risking fire.
Me too, for 20y already I guess ![]()
On linux you’d be able to browse to
as well. I do this on my Android phone.
Good thing you marked my solution as potential dangerous. When I was doing this there was less than 100W coming form the solar panels. But bad luck, the Energy App can’t find its way to the inverter once again, real short after I thought I’d found the solution. I’m not able to login via ip, trying to make a connection via ip the browser says itś timed out. Might be because I have an SMA inverter for 14 years now. Don’t know if they had logging in via ip at that time. I remember I had to work via Bluetooth and Sunny Explorer.
Hm. The contact from SMA Energy with the inverter has broken today for the third time. The built-in solution to repair the connection from SMA Energy also fails. Any other ideas? I have a Sunny Boy SB 5000TL-21 and the connection was stable for years. I read that latest two releases of SMA energy are trying to fix the Modbus connection failing. I think this might broke my connection. Might be a problem that I’m on port 500 and not on default 502.
Made contact with my inverter with Sunny explorer. After setting my port to default 502, my connection with SMA Energy seems fine again.
Hi @Richard_B are there any plans to add support of SMA EV charger?
Hi,
I’m having trouble connecting my SMA Sunny Tripower STP 8000TL-20 to the SMA Energy app in Homey.
My setup:
- Homey Pro 2026
- SMA Energy app v2.10.3
- SMA Sunny Tripower STP 8000TL-20
- IP address: 192.168.1.187
- Modbus TCP: enabled
- Modbus TCP port: 502
- Modbus Unit ID: 3
I have tested the connection using QModMaster. QModMaster connects successfully to 192.168.1.187 on port 502 and receives Modbus responses from the inverter.
However, when I try to add the inverter in Homey, it still fails with the same connection timeout.
I read that a test version was released to address similar Modbus connection issues. Unfortunately, I cannot find or access the test version; the Homey App Store only shows the public version 2.10.3, which was updated on August 12, 2026.
Could you please let me know how I can access the test version, or whether there is another solution for the STP 8000TL-20?
Thanks!
Here you go

