[APP][Pro] Power by the Hour [Feature Requests]

do you have links where the source data can be found? And are you sure the MIBGAS Gas prices are not available via EEX? See source data here: Spot

I already implemented THE from EEX exchange. See source data here: Spot

assuming GB has different pricing from IE, please provide links where the source data can be found.

Yesterday I switched to dynamic prices (from budget energie (the bastards :rage:) to Zonneplan), so Iā€™m looking at the functionality of the DAP devices and how this can help me make best decisions on when to use appliances in the house that use a ā€œlotā€ of power.

Most of the capabilities to the DAP devices are restricted to the next 8 hours (as @TKroon already mentioned above). And all trigger cards (with LOTā€™S of possibilities) can only be used when the moment is there that a price meets the desired criteria.

In my case, if have some household appliances that cannot be switched ā€œsmartā€ at that moment, but can be powered on with build in timer (washing machine, dryer, dishwasher). So I would like to now, in advance, at what time to program the timer.

So Iā€™m thinking of the following use case: When I wake up, the homey gives me a notification in which I can read at what moments of the <next x hours/day till midnight> the prices are low (in block of hours), so I can plan the day and decide when to do the washing or program the timers.

So this needs functionality/information of the trigger cards, but not triggerd at the moment the price is low, but in advanceā€¦ :thinking:

Maybe I missed something, maybe this has overlap with @TKroon his request and maybe this is a new feature request :slight_smile:

1 Like

You already can see the lowest hour of today and tomorrow in the device tile. Besided that, what I do myself, is send all prices of today and tomorrow to my own telegram as soon as they are fetched. I created a trigger flow for that, and the 24 prices are attached as json tag.

Yes thatā€™s correct, but whatā€™s more interesting for appliances that run for a couple of hours, is the range of hours around that lowest price point (when does it start and end). And maybe there are more periods with low prices. So maybe what Iā€™m looking for is more like the periods (hours?) of the day that prices are below the day average?

Yes thatā€™s a good suggestion to try.

Is this json only available in this trigger card? This 24-hour information is useful for some of my wishes. Can it be retrieved from the device at another moment in another way (for instance in homeyscript)? Maybe you can create an ā€œandā€ card variant of this trigger card so this json can be used in other flows triggered by other eventā€™s? And as nice to have generate a json with these hour+price values for <0-24> hours from now if price is <higher/lower> than <given price/tag>. :innocent:

Workaround for me could be to store this json in a logic variable and use it from there.

v5.4.0 adds the possibility to enter multiple fixed price markups to your Day Ahead Pricing device (DAP) based on Time of Day and on weekends. This was requested by @spndk for use in Denmark. Power by the Hour | Homey

Fill in hour1:markup1;hour2;markup2 etc. E.g. if starting at 6am the markup is 0.3, and starting at 10pm the markup is 0.1 fill in the following: 6:0.3;22:0.1

1 Like

Hi

please add the option to change source device for a power by the hour device,

so that for example you need to remove and add the source device you keep all the history without having to manually input that data to the new power by the hour device

2 Likes

Hi @TKroon In v5.6.4 I added a new condition card where you can select the cheapest hours from all known future hours. Please test and let me know if it works ok for you: Power by the Hour | Homey

1 Like

Thank you for your effort! I will test it and let you know.

However, it doesnā€™t match my usecase exactly at the moment. How I like to use it:

When I plug my car in at home, Homey fetches the battery level. Homey also monitors our calendars, and knows (based on the location of the events) when the car is needed again. So I got a couple of variables:

State of charge
Hours till needed
Remaining charging time

Ideally, I only charge at the (rounded up) ā€œremaining charging timeā€-hours, within the ā€œhours till neededā€-hours.

Example: I need the car within 21 hours, and the car needs to charge for 4 hours. I would like to charge at the cheapest hours. Of course, I know the prices of the next day become available in the afternoon. But then I expect PbtH to only use the available hours. So if I select in the next 21 hours, and only 10 are available, it only uses those 10 hours until the prices of the next day are published.

At the moment you have a flow card that looks like it, but it has a required period with a maximum of 12 hours.
AND-card: the price is one of the lowest in the hours before hour
(translated from Dutch. Original: De prijs is een van de laagste in de uren voor uur)

Ik heb vandaag vier keer de melding gehad dat het een van de 2 laagste uren van de dag was. Als ik de grafiek van PbtH bekijk, komt dat in ieder geval overeen. Maar het andere screenshot is van Enever, waarbij toch duidelijk is dat er verschillende tarieven zijn.

Rondt PbtH toevallig af? En als er twee waarden 10, en 2 waarden 11 zijn, ziet dan de 2x 10 als laagste, of 10 en 11? In het laatste geval zijn er dan vier laagste waarden. Geen ramp, maar goed om te weten.

Welke uren waren dat?

De vier groene balkjes uit het screenshot hierboven.

2 tot 3 uur
3 tot 4 uur
13 tot 14 uur
14 tot 15 uur

Morgen zie ik weer 4 groene balkjes, dus ik houd het in de gaten. Naast een pushmelding, noteert Homey het nu ook in een log, zodat ik het terug kan zien.

Je zult iedere dag 4 groene balkjes zien, want zo zijn de groene balkjes ingesteld.

Would it be possible to aggregate several PBTH devises in one ā€˜motherā€™ devise?

Use case:
I have a PBTH setup for Gas, Electricity and Water. I created a VD to show the daily values ā€˜at a glanceā€™. I could create extra VDā€™s to show 'current month / this year / last year" as well.

It would be cool to have a ā€˜motherā€™ PBTH devise that shows all utility cost (sum from the Gas / Electricity / Water PBTHā€™s)! That way a yearly budget in ā‚¬ could also be entered.

I feel that drifts too far from what I want to do with PBTH. But you could use the GROUP app or the Advanced Capabilities app to create a combined VD.

1 Like

I understand you!

Thanks for the reply and the great App!

1 Like

Goedemorgen! Vandaag kreeg ik weer vier meldingen. De prijzen liggen heel dicht bij elkaar, en het lijkt erop dat je ze afrondt. Dan is het logisch dat hij meer dan twee uren als laagste twee uren ziet.

De flow kaart werkt verder prima, en blijkt betrouwbaar de afgelopen tijd. Dank je wel!

1 Like

The flowcard is doing exactly as expected. It is not rounding off. You are forgetting that ā€˜all future known hoursā€™ have one less hour every new hour.
At 2 am 0.2718 was indeed one of the 2 lowest coming hours. And at 3am, 4am, 5am the price was also one of 2 lowest hours. :hugs:

2 Likes

Haha Iā€™m sorry, youā€™re right of course! Thanks!

1 Like

Requested by @LecramR and @Daniel_S : add Victron as battery device.

Source code Victron app: GitHub - ricott/homey-com.victronenergy

@LecramR @Daniel_S I need to know from you the capability names. Please go to Homey Developer Tools
And select your battery device. Create a screen shot of the capabilities, similar to this one of Sessy:

Please tell me which one represents battery charge (0-100%), and which one is the power flowing in/out of the battery. Also I need to know if charging is a positive or negative number.