[App][Pro] PaperTrails Log - Advanced Logging and Log management (v0.6.3)

Correct. But if you put a $ in front of the first word, it is omitted from the log.
The word in front of the subject (or whatever it is called) remains “Trail”.
i would have expected (based on the config screen) that the application name “Trail” would be replaced with the word with the “$”

After successfully connecting the PaperTrails app to my Qnap syslog server, I am looking for two applications to evaluate the message remotely.

First, a terminal/console app that I can use during development (vscode) to analyze the issues. And secondly a tiny web app to have an overview of my system on daily use ?

Can someone help me ?

I know that, but that’s just the server, what I’m looking for is the web app for the visualization.

I’ve some problems with papertrails, multiple times every day I get a pause symbol and papertrails stopped working. After a reboot of the app it works again. I’ve made a flow to restart papertrails every night, but unfortunately I’ve got the same problem.

The problem started with homey v7 or 7.0.1.
Is there a way to fix this?

Homey early 2019
Homey V7.1.0
App V6.8.0.743
Papertrails V0.6.3

What an awesome app!

I’ve implemented the connection to my.papertrailapp.com, and things are showing up in /events when I am using the flow-cards.

However, if I am using the functionality in homeyScript to post a log-event, it only shows up on the log-screen of the app itself.

Is this a bug / missing feature, or am I configuring something wrong?

I have selected the “Enable syslog for all log additions” option.

Hi Arjan, it happened here too the other day.

The cause in my case was a recent created flow, which triggers and logged every minute.
Alongside all the other logs being written in the meantime, it was too much I think (every flow writes a log here).

Homey decides to pause the app, to prevent Homey or other apps from going down; the criteria used are unknown to me.

So when I removed the log card from the ‘1 minute flow’ the ‘pause problem’ was gone.

Thanks Peter,
I’m gonna look for the flow that write allot of times. For me it’s the same, almost every flow have to note the flow name on papertrails.

1 Like

Hello Geurt,
EDIT
Everything is OK again since 3AM.
Homey was yesterday evening at 7PM soft rebooted by my.

Papertrails suddenly gets paused every time the last (half) hour, I can’t find or think of what I’ve changed.
The memory useage of PT goes up to 130MB’s.

I took the liberty of sending a crash report (although it did not “crash”).
Diag.ID: 52cd088a-e012-49e2-95e8-81fdeddc91cf

Insights:
24h:

Month:

Thanks for this great app and no hurries.
Peter

Any news yet on adding the THEN description to ELSE flowcards when adding them by the Papertrails website, @Dijker?

Sorry for asking again; it’s just that the app (and site) is so damn helpfull… :slight_smile:

Doesn’t this work, Henk?

No, in the ELSE Papertrailscard, THEN is written.

1 Like

Ah, I see!
Does this work?
Prefix for Then: [leave empty]
Prefix for Else: [ELSE]

No, it still adds THEN cards in both THEN and ELSE.

Are you a contributor to this website then? Of should @Dijker solve this?

I’m just trying to help, only @dijker can fix it if it’s a bug.

1 Like

I’d the same issue a while ago with the pause and high use of memory (don’t know or it was up to 130). There where a few flows (Transitions of multiple lights in the whole house) written down every second a new line. Deleting the Papertrails card solved in this flow for me solved the problem

1 Like

Hi Peter,

did you ever find a fix for this? Its happening to me all the time without any clear logic. I’ve spaced out all my scripts to execute every 10/60 mins with delays between each. It runs great for a while and then out of the blue it fails every 5 - 10 mins. The Pause is triggered by the memory shooting to 100+ MB but there doesnt seem to be clear reason as to why it would work for hours at 20-25 MB and then shoot up.

Hi Greenwell, it didn’t occur anymore.
Can you filter out any ‘machine-gun’ like log write actions?
It seems related I think.

Thanks Peter. I managed to calm things down substancially. After checking I didnt have any flows executing ever 1 sec but I had a flow per data object. When I bundled them all into one flow things improved a lot.

1 Like

I do have a similar issue.
PaperTrails log Add to the log is OK using flow-cards.
However, trying from HomeyScript only shows up on the log-screen of the app itself.
PaperTrails to syslog has proven to be very useful, hence.
Thank You for PaperTrails!

Sorry to nag perhaps, but any news on this, @Dijker?