[APP][Pro] FTP Client - Control FTP Servers through a directory-based UI in the Homey App or Web App

Hey @Peter_Kawa,

Drag and Drop now available!

Just drag all files or folders on your local storage around in Homey Web or Homey Mobile :slight_smile:

Try it out!

1 Like

Is it possible to upload a snapshot from a camera or device via the tag card to a FTP server?

I was looking for something like this, currently you only can send there snapshot tag cards using email or a push message, it would be great if it where possible to send them also to an FTP server!

2 Likes

What camera? Blink for Home app has built in SMB/FTP export.
But it should be an easy thing for Arie to add such a flow action.
Arie can use the Blink code as blueprint.

2 Likes

Hey, good idea, i’ll add this, because, yes, this can easily be made: you can already upload and download files yourself, it’s easy to create the same for an image tag.

Any more good ideas i can add?

2 Likes

Great idea by @B3rt , to get rid of the mails/messages with cam snapshots, when it’s not neccesary to watch them immediately :wink:
Well, that brings me to the next (bold) idea,
will it be possible to fetch an image from an FTP server device and process it in a flow?
Like, similar to an available snapshot from a cam?
Maybe with a wildcard name selection:
Fetch today's image(s) from [myFTPserver], (part of) the name = [17:]
This should select all images between 17 hrs and 18 hrs
(assuming all cam snapshots have timestamps in their filenames).

Just a thought, might be impossible with multiple images :wink:

1 Like

For example the doorbell camera or any other camera.

Of course most camera’s can send snapshots to ftp servers themselves, but this cannot be triggered by Homey, sending a snapshot of a camera is triggered by the camera itself, i would like to use the FTP option so when a flow triggers an event that i then upload the snapshot at that moment to an FTP server for saving/backup, whatever.

For example:
doorbell is pressed → show picture of doorbell camera on TV (using pipup) → send push notification to user with snapshot (of the person who pressed doorbell) and NEW → save that snapshot also via FTP to NAS for backup etc.

In theory all kinds of tag cards could be saved this way…

1 Like

Sure, but i’ll implement it a bitt different then how you describe it, and make it to be combined with json handler i think. Because that one handles arrays and collections.

But what you all want: yes. Ill look into it asap.

1 Like

Tia and no hurries ofcourse Arie.

Do you mind creating a feature request /ticket at bitbucket for it?

1 Like

Ofc not, and will do, if you unhide the ‘Issues’ button :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Done!

1 Like

It’s Live: FTP Client App voor Homey | Homey

3 Likes

I installed it, but can you explain to me how i connect to a FTP server?

So after installing I add a new device, it finds 2 FTP servers, 1 of my TV box (this one i do not want to use) and a custom FTP client.

I have a synology NAS, this is not found by detection…

So i add custom, then it is added, via settings i add login details and theni use repair to see if it is connected and it is.

But how do i upload (or download) a file into or from the FTP server?

Hey Bart,

Right click / long-press-on-phone on or within a folder to upload.
Right click / long-press-on-phone on a file to download, or double click.

Most things should work like on windows or file-browsing on a phone.

Are you sure you Synology has Bonjoir on?
Configuration → File Services → Advanced → Bonjour (mDNS).
This is how FTP devies are found, and when i have it turned on, the FTP Client finds my Synology NAS without any issues, it just requests a username and password when trying to connect.

Hi Arie,

your FTP client works great.
I just tried setting the client directly to a directory e.g. :
192.168.1.180/hdd/homey
Is it possible that this does not work (yet) ?

setting up the ftp homey was nice and easy. now I try to upload a file I don’t see a confirmation button anywhere? I’m working on Android, will be PC work again. :grin:

Afaik it starts uploading as soon as you selected a file. When it can’t upload it probably has (permission/connection/ssl issues), this screen stays this way (dunno if a time-out or error msg is configured)

1 Like

so you can’t see what he is doing or uploading or not?
It seemed with installation that it works, but I can’t upload anything yet. I don’t see a single Homey folder either.

If you are unsure, you can always check the directory of your FTP server to see if the file has been uploaded.

1 Like

For server connection only IP and port can be used.
The path is changed after beeing connected.bSo you need an device setting to set a default path to change to. Or the string can be splitted into ip and path so the device can do the steps independent.