[App][Pro] ETA google maps

I’ve started developing a new app that uses Google Maps to fetch the estimated travel time (ETA) from work to home (Homey’s location). I’ve been using it to announce at home that “Dad will be home in XX minutes,” and my wife gets a message that dinner should be ready in X minutes. I thought it was a funny touch, but my wife didn’t find it as amusing!

Verwachte Aankomsttijd Google Maps App voor Homey | Homey

9 Likes

So you changed it for the next weeks to ‘Start Dad can start to make dinner’ :thinking: :smile:

Will it work together with the app Map my location?
Does it support different locations or only work - home? So in case you have different appointments at different locations, is it also possible to calculate ETA?

Ik slaap weer op de bank vannacht :sweat_smile:

i’m creating extra actions to make it possible to fill in your own adresses.

i’m not familiar with the app “map my location”, so i don’t know.

1 Like

The app is now live with the extra actions and a condition card.
3 actions.

• from the work address (settings in app) to the homey coordinates.
  • from somewhere to the homey coordinates.
  • from somewhere to somewhere else.
  • all three give the travel time in minutes in a tag.

and a condition that you can use if a traveltime is greater than the given minutes.

1 Like

Great app, @Ron_van_Gestel!
Would you be willing to extend the app further?

I.e.: some while ago Life360 disabled evt connections to Homey.
I used it to see when someone left or entered/left (a certain area around my) home, or entered/left a certain location.
It would be great if we could set a location and a radius and have some flows for entering/leaving.
So without setting a route.
Would such a thing be possible?

@Ron_van_Gestel Another night on the couch when your wife reads your description?

Nice app. Some suggestions/questions:

Get ETA-card is now route from work to home (I expect); What about home to work in the morning?

Would it be possible to use time of arrival or departure-time as inputs? In the evening I would like to know my travel-time for the next day :slight_smile:

You calculate the route by car; what about the other modes of travel?

Do you have any additions already on your to-do?

@Henk_Renting: I use Siri Shortcuts for that. I’ve created a automation that starts a Homey flow when I leave work. I don’t know of Android can do the same.

Hello Henk,

Thank you for your positive feedback!

The functionality you’re asking for—detecting when someone enters or leaves a specific area—isn’t currently within the scope of this app. For such use cases, you would typically need a geofencing app on your phone. Apps like Geofency, Locative, or even IFTTT can trigger Homey flows based on your location.

Personally, I use Geofency, which sends a webhook to my Homey when I leave work. Another option could be using Siri Shortcuts as suggested by Woodsoft.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Ron van Gestel

@Hielke_de_Jong :smile: Haha, my couch does sleep great!

You’re right, the current setup calculates the time from work to home. It should be fairly straightforward to reverse it and calculate the time from home to work. When I have some time, I’ll look into adding that feature. In the meantime, you can use the flow card to manually enter the addresses.

Regarding your other suggestions, they seem possible as well. I’ll consider those ideas and see what I can implement.

As for me, I don’t have any additional features in mind yet. My goal was to get my travel time, and I think it’s really cool that others can now use this app too.

Was not much meantime :smile: Thanks

1 Like

Would it be possible fetch the distance to a location? I would use it to calculate the minimum charge required for my EV.

I really love the idea behind this practical app, however no matter what I do i get the following error:

ive tried generating a new Google maps API key, but I encounter the same problem. Any thoughts? :slightly_smiling_face:

try to remove the next card and add it again

if google doesn’t know the adress or can’t find a route you also get this message. from where tot where do you want to go?

I’ve successfully added the distance as a tag to the Get-ETA card. This enhancement will allow you to access not only the estimated time of arrival but also the distance to your destination directly within your flows.

I plan to update the app shortly to include this new feature. Keep an eye out for the update, and feel free to share your feedback once you’ve had a chance to try it out!

see Verwachte Aankomsttijd Google Maps | Homey

1 Like

Hi,
I am not yet familiar with Google API keys… but which API key should I enable?
the “Google maps for fleeting API”? or “Google maps booking API”?
Or is this something completely different and am I wrong?"
Thanks

Thank you! I’ll check it soon :slight_smile:

Im trying to define travel time from my home adress to work adress. Not too comfortable sharing those here, but could message you if you have the time to guide me a bit?

Hi,

Great app🍻, but I am missing one thing, since I am mainly using public transport to work.
Is it possible to get ETA with public transport?

I see that the card “Travel time from A to B by X” dont have public transport.