[APP][PRO] Blink for Home

With all the updates and no problems (I know from), the app got pushed to stable version 1.0.0 some days ago.

If you like the app, it would be nice to write a short review. It’s so dark without stars :star2: :star2: :star2: :star2: :star2:
:smiley:

2 Likes

New test version: 1.0.1

Athom decided to hide flow action with existing result token (for AdvancedFlows) in standard flows, even th the action is implemented to work in both versions.
So I had to add a second action card for standard flows without flow token. This way, this action can be used in standard flows again.

In AdvancedFlows, you will see both actions, one with flow tags and one without.
grafik

The actions are doing the same - creating a snapshot.
With th eforst one, you can use the image directly in your AdvancedFlow in a following action (send push message)
With the second one, you can create a snapshot and react in the corresponding trigger event to send a snapshot.

Testversion 1.0.3 adds a possibility to store motion alert videos on a SMB share (Cloud and local storage).

The motion alert trigger has a new technical tag providing the video ID of the motion alert related video.
grafik
This tag is present in the motion alert for the account and camera devides. So you can react on all motions alerts (using the account device) or on events on specific cameras (using the camera device).

This video ID can be used to store the video using the new action card:

Use the video ID tag in the action card. Use the camera name tag if you want to get filenames including the camera name (ensure there are only filename compatible charaters in the name). You can leave this field empty or just insert a text you want to have in the filename.
Using camera specific trigger, you can store videos in camera specific folders using a separate SMB share/folder in the action card.

Example: stored video file with camera name:
grafik

Reading cloud videos ist very stable. But reading videos from SyncModule could result in http errors if the SyncModule is handling other requests. For this case you can add en error handling in your flow - perhaps try three times and make a timeline message if this was not successful.

Testversion 1.0.4 adds a trigger for a recorded liveview video. This does not activate the motion alarm. You can use this trigger to upload liveviews to a SMB share as described in the last post.
Liveview recording is only possible in the Blink app on your mobile with an active cloud subscription.

Hint for flow triggered video recording:
If you are using the camera flow action to record a video, the video gets recorded by the camera as if triggered by movement.
This will result in a motion alert including the activation of the motion alarm capability of the camera device and the triggering the motion alert flow trigger. So you don’t need a new flow to record such videos to SMB.

is it possible to add support for the doorbell? thanks

Hi,
possbile yes. But I don’t own a device (no usecase), so I would need a device or at least access to a Blink account with a assigned doorbell to determine the API Urls with a network sniffer - the API is not official or documented.

Edit: I found some URLs in the web. Seems to work like a outdoor camera. So all finctionality of battery cameras should be possible. But please note, that not instant alarm on button press will be possible. The motion alert is only possible based on new videos. So you will still have a time lag like now for all other cameras.
But for test I still need access to a device/account…

1 Like

if you want i can send you my credentials in private…

New test version 1.1.0: Added Blink Video Doorbell
grafik

This is a first test version with the new Video Doorbell. It provides nearly the same functionality like a Outdoor Camera.
Motion alert is still only possible on reading of new videos from cloud storage or SyncModule. That means you won’t get instant a message from your Doorbell. It’s not possible to get push messages as they are only sent to the registered Blink App on your mobile phone.

I didn’t find information about possible events for button presses. I still have to investigate…

Please install the test version if you would like to test this device. Please report issues here with screenshots and a description.

Special thanks to @Davide_Zamo for supporting the implementation :+1:

perfect…without button press but perfect.
thanks

Thanks for the feedback.
What happens in the Blink app on a button press?
A push message I would assume. And a recorded video? Or is the video recorded on motion before someone rings?
I still wonder how the button could be used in Homey…

after button push there is a message and chime ringing on alexa and blink app…after some time, the lenght of video recording i assume, i can also obtain homey notification…

Alexa notification let me think on some message sent by the doorbell. if i can help to find the event, let me know…

Inviato dal mio Galaxy

-------- Messaggio originale --------

But you get a motion alert like for other cameras, right? Then it’s triggering a video recording like normal motions, too. I’ll contact you via PM that we can check some details together…

New test version 1.1.1: Added trigger for button press on Doorbell cameras.
You can use this trigger for the doorbell device itself or general for the account device if there are more than one doorbell.

Hey @RonnyW what I was referring to - as a FR - was the capability to send/load the last - locally on USB - recorded video(s) to somewhere. I’m not talking about SMB rather hand it over. The mobile Blink app can share/upload a recorded video to any app. No idea if there’s APIs or else for that.

I have to device your question a bit…

1. The app is mainly based on event on user side.
    So if the check for new videos (new video means a motion alert oder doorbell ring has accoured), a trigger is started (motion alert trigger for camera or account device).
    So all events are based in “one” video. It could be there are several motion alert and several new videos created during the check interval. That makes it hard to use only the lates video somewhere. You would miss the others.
  2. The motion alert trigger has tokens for Advanced Flow to read the snapshot image (for cloud storage only) or the recorded video (a parameter for passing to the SMB action card.
    Images can be passed between flows/cards with the image tag. But videos not. Homey has only text/boolean/number and image tags.
  3. All is based on automated work. That’s why it’s designed that you can store a image/video at the event to a network storage. There you can collect/manage all your videos.
  4. I can’t imagine a good way of reading/showing video (even as list) in the Homey GUI. A possible way would be the use of the repair view to show a html page with a video list. What would you like to do then? Klick on video and open it in the browser? This won’t wok as URL because on the needed authorization. So a video download peraps? I can’t say if this would be possible in such a view.

I can check if it’s possible to list videos i a device view. I can’t say if it’s possible to download a video via Homey GUI and react on that in the mobile phone (perhaps based on the file type).

Thanks for taking the time to think about my FR. I can share some more context. Ideally, I’d like to receive any video via a messenger (Telegram). Now, there’s a Telegram app which can actually take videos and send them. The problem is the trigger, if there are too many triggers – like someone is triggering a motion alert every 2 seconds – the Blink module stalls at some point. Hence, this approach - getting videos via Telegram Notifications - doesn’t work. That’s why I thought the better approach is to get the videos from Blink directly. Afaik you can store them to a network share. Hence I was wondering if there’s an additional way to load the videos somewhere, like sftp, potentially … or imap

You can only pass data (text, images …) between apps via flow tags.
Are you using Homey app for messaging? This would need to be able to receive a text token with base64 encoded video and perhaps decode it back to mp4. I’m sure that’s not possible.
And all is working inside Homey, not in your phone. So no access to phone apps at all.

FTP would be possible, but why not SMB? Thats much easier to setup for users on a NAS than setting up a dedicaded FTP server.
That’s why I decided to use SMB. And I don’t want to add more variants due to the app size and memory usage. Such packages are real memory killers.

I only have Homey running on this network nothing else locally that I could mount ;-).

This app here takes an image or video from your Blink app in a “Then” card

Not really. It takes (public accessible) URLs. But the Blink video URLs are not accessible outside the app due to authorization.

@thobu
I checked all possibilities for working with mp4 videos in Homey or in Homey apps.
The only use case would be to send the video as file with a messenger app. But these apps are only using (public) URLs and no files (byte or base64).
I experimented with a video list. But that’s not useful, too. A html page is only possible for app settings page or device repair. Device rerpair is already used for account to re-auth. And app settings dialog is no good place for account dependent videos.

But: I added FTP exportin the new testversion. I tested with my NAS and ftp port 21.