[APP][Pro] Amazon - Alexa

Apps is far from perfect, I am attempting to backwards engineer, that is do things I am really not meant to be doing which is completely undocumented, the work of over 10,000 of the smartest engineers in the business, they are constantly adding, changing how they work with out warning. All of which is getting hard and harder to do as they no longer even have an alexa app for me to dive into and watch the network on.

There is a really good reason why it is a pro only app, for the community and these features are not part of the ‘offical alexa’ work by athom.

Like I have said a bunch of times, I do this because some people find it useful, but if it is no longer fun for me to make this application available to the public - I will just delete it from the store and continue to use the privately - like I have done with the Arlo app.

If anyone wants my help to help them, if you supply enough info, ill do my best, but with out information - there is nothing I can do. Sorry.

Please keep your app public,it’s the app i use the most on homey and in every my flows i have your app active!
It’s just a person whose complain and nobody else have disconnections issues so the problem is on his side ,not your app fault👍
We have already lost your Arlo app sadely, please not your Alexa app​:grin::blush:

1 Like

Hi Jamie, I absolutely love your app and use it on a daily basis :heart: I have been lurking here without posting for some time now and from what I can tell, you have said this a lot “if its no longer fun for me, then I’ll delete the app and use it personally” or something of sorts, I would hate for that to happen… :frowning: Cause like I said I really love your app but it also makes me wonder, what if I decide to donate? What about the people who has already donated? Doesn’t this seem a bit unfair towards them then?

1 Like

Berna_T I appreciate the kind words, and your review, but also how you finished the post is kinda the problem.

I remember ever donation I have received, I remember who gave it and I truely appreciate it. I smile every time it happens and plan when I’m going to get my coffee:)

If at anytime any of the 14 people who have donated over the last 4 years would like their money back, I am happy to return it in full no questions asked.

I don’t ask for much,

1. Be nice, remember I don’t HAVE to do anything.
  2. if it’s not working then give me as much information and be descriptive so I can help you.
  3. Read the messages in the thread, especially the FAQ.
  4. This is just something I do for fun, in my spare time, after I finish work for the day, when I’m not spending time with my wife and family.
  5. if you don’t like the app please feel free to uninstall it. I won’t mind at all. No one is forcing you to use it.
  6. if you like the app, give it a nice rating or buy me a coffee, it motivates me.

But I don’t owe anyone anything.

4 Likes

When explaining it like this I completely understand :slightly_smiling_face: I wish you developers got paid, that would be so much more fair, I can imagine it not being easy to develop these apps and please accept my apology for how I ended my post, I meant no disrespect, sometimes it’s easy to forget that you’re doing this for free :heart:

1 Like

All good, back on track has anyone else noticed that some devices after a couple of days show as “unavailable” with a repair button.

But the repair buttons doesn’t really work, and when going to the app settings the app says it’s connected?

Restarting the app seems to resolve the issue?

1 Like

Yes, i had this yesterday with two devices. The red shield gave the app not connected reason, while other devices actually still could have full interaction, and the app settings did show the connected status.
So those two devices were clearly wrong.

Thanks for this hard work, this getting ready tor new homey requires a lot of rework and compatability testing, just because we need to get ready. My own small apps are already keeping me busy in my spare time, and i see how many commits you do. So i sure you are burning many many hours just to make sure it keeps working for those new homeys. Commitment that i can only deeply respect. Thanks again.

I still have a rc 10 error on my apps decrypt code thats hard to solve without a new homey. If i manage i can help you out again.

I have released version 3.5.12 to the test channel and submitted for approval to roll out to everyone.

• This adds 5 new ‘sounds’, and also updates the app so that the sounds are pulled directly from amazon rather then hardcoded. Meaning if they ever add more sounds (unlikely) they will be added to alexa.
  • It fixes an issue with the filters on the sounds, so it will now work correctly.
  • It fixes an issue with the voice flow ie. having another voice say something, so now the voices will be selectable
  • It adds a new flow, you are now able to message yourself (owner of the account) from a device, this shows as a push notification on your phone from “amazon alexa”.

Please note, that if you attempt to add smart devices from alexa - and you have more then (approx 100), the pairing screen will throw an error and you will be unable to add any devices. This is a bug in homey, specifically the phone app, please send any requests to fix this to Athom directly.

4 Likes

Hello Jamie, first thanks for the great work! Keep it up, and Athom should reward you for it :+1::muscle: :wink:

I would like to suggest the option to turn off the echo show screen of my show10 when I turn on my verisure alarm.
My alarm set the status to say sleep or away and it would be nice to turn off the screen based on a status by alarm so energy is conserved and that the cats have a more dark living room :thinking::+1:

Regards Ray

Setting the brightness is possible, ill add it to the todo list.

1 Like

@RayCokes Sorry, looked into this and it doesn’t look like this is possible I attempted to set the brightness on a Echo Display 5 Gen1, Echo Display Gen 2, Echo Display 8, Echo Spot. - It didn’t work for any of them.

At least thanks for trying Jamie​:+1::+1:

Is this the place for placing a request for a 3rd party device?

If so. Can you add support for the Samsung Soundbar HW-Q950T?

Thank you!

@Jamie is the echo show 10 inch added soon? And able to get text shown on display like an announcement?

Any news regarding to the implementation of this device Echo Dot gen 5? Plsss :slightly_smiling_face:
@Jamie

1 Like

No sorry, I dont have any news on the Echo Dot Gen 5.

I have however released an update to the test channel

This adds support for the

• Echo Show 8 (Gen2)
  • Echo Show 10 (Gen1)
  • Echo Show 15 (Gen2)

I don’t own these devices, i’ve ‘guessed’ at how they should work, so please test and let me know if it works.

1 Like

Thank you!! I really wanted echo show 15 :heart: I’ll try it out and see how it works :blush::blush:

It works!! I just tested the basic settings and then a simple routine and it works. Thank you so much for all your help and this amazing app :pray::blush::blush:

@Jamie thanks for eco show 15 support!

It was only while I was doing this that I realised the echos how 15 has a built in fire tv, I might have ot get myself one of them. Would you recomend?