[APP][Pro] Amazon - Alexa

Please read the instructions on how to add a new device - second post from the top.

@Jamie thanks for your hard work and its great to see the app going from strength to strength. Please can I ask for the following Show to be added.

1. SVG of the new device in the same aesthetic as the other icons I have.
    https://file.io/SLtnUN6ErlBN
  2. An image of the device ideally 2000x2000px in the same aesthetic as the other images I have (white background etc).
  3. The name of the device, and its average power usage.
    5.41 Watts With mic and camera on (Safety & Compliance Information for Echo Show 15 - Amazon Customer Service)
  4. The unique identifier of the device, I can normally find these out with some help and a diagnostic report.
    a108a136-356f-4d0a-8e06-312e8c7c95bf
  5. Someone to test each and every feature of the app upon new device and report back if any features do not work.
    No problems, happy to do so
2 Likes

Echo Show 10 (3. Generation)

1. SVG of the new device in the same aesthetic as the other icons I have.
  2. An image of the device ideally 2000x2000px in the same aesthetic as the other images I have
    Dropbox - EchoShow_10-3.Generation.zip - Simplify your life

It would be nice when you add this device.

Standby: 6 Watt
Alexa record: 7Watt
Music/Video: 8 Watt

I donā€™t know how to find the unique identifier :frowning:

Hello Jamie,

The App stopped working again a few days ago :frowning:

Before throwing the whole thing through the window I checked a few things :wink:

I noticed I was still on the test version (that you rightly advised me to install to solve the previous problems) and that it had then been updated a few times, up to 5.3.10

Tried to update that one but it didnā€™t change anything. Then it took several trials to go back to the ā€œregularā€ version, which I finally got after about an hour, 5.3.8, had to reconnect to the Amazon account and now everything is back to normal.

Right now, to avoid further problems, I disabled the automatic updateā€¦ Is there any way to get an Email notification when an update is available, and an option to roll back to the previous version if the new one isnā€™t working properly for ā€œmeā€ ?

Try connect to the same local network Alexa use. Then restart app. That fix this for me. So when my plugs etc, all connected to Alexa loose contact now and thanā€¦ That fix it. I have 2 local network. Have to be the one Alexa is on to work.

@Grim - If this is meant to be a reply to my case, it doesnā€™t address the issue but thanks for trying :slight_smile:

My stopped working a few days ago alsoā€¦ All work in Alexa, not homey Pro. Why i reply. Hope you solve it. The way you explained it, sounds like same problem.

Thanks Peter I would love this to be added also

Hello @Jamie
Hello community

Many thanks for your app and your work on it.

I have an amazon echo dot geen5 but i donā€™t have the option to include it.
Is it supported ?
If yes how can I include it.
I already tried with the amazon echo dot gen4 but didnā€™t see any device

Looking your help

@Grim : if you read my post, problem is solved, I gave the solution :wink:

Darnā€¦ :frowning:

I switched to the official version (5.3.8) which solved the problem at first, but this night it disconnected by itself againā€¦ Was much simpler to solve (just reconnect) but still very annoying.

There is no difference in how v5.3.8 and v5.3.10 connect to the server.

Hi Jamie,

thank you for your efforts to keep the app alive and up to date!
Would be great if you could also add the ā€œEcho Dot Gen 5ā€.

1.) SVG: Not a pro in this, hope this will work for you: EchoDot_Gen5.svg

2.) Image:

3.) Name: Echo Dot Gen 5
Power usage: 1,58W (no load), see: Safety and Compliance Information for Amazon Echo Dot (5th Generation) - Amazon Customer Service

4.) Unique identifier: C2N6L4

5.) Sure, happy to support best I can.

KR,
Stephan

2 Likes

Thank you for this incredibly comprehensive app! Is it somehow possible that alexa asks a question and you can use the answer in the homey?

I know. But it works without Going back to older version :+1:

Thanks @Jamie, is there any way to go back to an earlier working version, then ?

Honestly,

I can not answer that. ā€œits stopped working a few days agoā€ is frustratingly un-useful, so far I havnt received enough info to do anything at all.

Its like ringing (112 / 911 / 000) and saying you have a problem ā€¦ but

1. never actually telling anyone what your problem is
  2. never telling the operator where you live
  3. never specify when the problem occurred - right now, a year ago, next year?

So unless I get more information, the best answer I can give to you saying ā€˜Its not working for meā€™ is to reply with ā€˜It is working for meā€™.

Sorry I am tried ad nauseam of say the same thing over and over,

@Jamie

I described the symptom I noticed, Iā€™m not the ā€œdoctorā€ here :wink:

My best guess was it disconnected, as I wrote above, when you updated the test version to 5.3.10. But you replied that thereā€™s no difference in the way it connects since 5.3.8.

Indeed, when I rolled back to the official version which is now 5.3.8 it worked 24hrs but then disconnected again. This morning, 23hrs later, itā€™s still connected.

So I asked if thereā€™s a possibility to roll back to an older versionā€¦

Rolling back is not an option, and wont help you, App has been using the same connection library for 5 months. It was updated 5 months ago, because the old connections stopped working.

The issue you are seeing will continue and the alexa app will be deleted when Athom release v10. (Which was the purpose of the new version of the app).

To continue with your analogy - yes you go to a doctor and tell them that your leg hurts, its a burning pain, that started yesterday while I was running its about a 4 out of 10 on the pain scale and the muscle is harder the normal. Not ā€œDoctor ā€¦ my body isnā€™t workingā€.

It not working could mean, its connected but voice commands donā€™t work, its not possible to connect, the application crashes and stops working, the application is slow, you can connect new devices ā€¦ but not old ones. Certain flows are not working correctly, the settings page crashes when you try and reconnect, the new repair button doesnā€™t open the connection, when you enter your login details - even though they are correct you still can get devices, there is an error message when you try to do an action, or it throws and popup when connecting saying something undefined. etc etc etc.

So ā€¦ it sounds like the application is working, but it disconnected after about 24 hours, it even reconnected when you manually attempted it (no idea if you had to log in or not, or if you used the settings page or repair). Could be anything, power, internet connection, wifi to homey.

Seems like telling you about issues only brings more and more life lessons because, of course, your application is perfect and supposedly Iā€™m a kid who needs some spanking.

So Iā€™ll just keep an eye on the communityā€™s shares.