[APP][Pro] Amazon - Alexa

@jamie please can you share the source code or give access to the code so I can help? I have noted that with the recent firmware deployment (Alexa), a lot of core functionality of your plugin has been broken. Routines now need a device (Other than the Alexa device) to invoke them and so on. Its such a great app when it works this, just a shame it seems you are working on this on your own and struggling to help everyone!

4 Likes

Does anyone have the issue, that the Alexa App stops working after a while? I have flows which let Alexa say something. But once or twice a day, I need to disconnect and reconnect the Alexa App to get it work again. If there is no solution maybe a „reconnect“ card would be helpful.

Currently, as it is, it is totally useless. But I love this app, actually.

1 Like

I use the app for the same requirement. The issue is well known.

In my case, the connection has remained best for weeks when restarting the app hourly via Flow.

1 Like

Is someone still working on this app?

It would appear not

@Joka , tried restarting Alexa app automatically with a flow every hour as you said, but no success. After restarting, the Alexa app remains too often unconnected, so I need to go to “Configuartion” and click there on “Reconnect”.

@Jamie , can you offer a flow card which can trigger the reconnection? At least this would help to keep the App alive - if a permanent solution is impossible.

1 Like

I was not precise enough. I do not use the restart card but the Enable/Disable card:

Maybe it works better, good luck!

App v3.8.100

Kannst Du noch den Echo Show 15 hinzufĂźgen.

Danke😀

2 Likes

I really wish someone was still working on this app, it’s such a good app when it works and I’m really dependent on it on a daily basis but as it is right now it keeps crashing and it constantly needs reconnecting.

2 Likes

Same here struggling since months. I think the developer discontinued it. If so it would be nice to push it to github or so and make it open-source so that the community can take care.

Regarding my issue: I started to use VoiceMonkey (alexa skill). It is quite inconvenient to use with Homey but it works - reliably.

Overall I am quite disappointed of the whole thing, incl. Homey. I am checking alternatives now like Home Assistant. I like the idea of Homey, I have tons of „smart“ stuff and I thought I can safe a lot of time, but the opposite is the case.

So far as I know, the app has not been abandoned. The problem is to deal with Amazon Alexa. It seems not easy.

The problem is the reconnect issue. I always need to manually click on reconnect. Then it is fine for couple of hours. Until it gets disconnected. Why can the app not monitor it and trigger a reconnect automatically?

Very often reconnection is not enough since the the app is still connected (or at least it thinks so) but it does not work. I know it’s a pain in the ass.

I can understand that its very hard for the developer to fix the issues but others have offered several times to help fix them now, even to take over if need be but still no word, this is what I personally don’t understand, this complete silence. But I do respect the developer for all the hard work until now, so please don’t get me wrong about that, cause I love this app.

2 Likes

I do understand your frustration. It’s the same for me.

No response from the developer in 6 months. Has this App been abandoned ?

Hey everyone,

No this app has not been abandoned, it however pretty low on my priorities. If you look back through the thread, the same connection issue has existed since the beginning, and many various attemped were made to ‘fix it’.

However a work around was found to just reset the app every 12 hours, which forced it to refresh and get a new cookie and as far as I am aware continues to work.

Hey @Jamie that workaround does not work consistently. It works sometimes for a week, but sometimes it fails within a hour again. So in general, for the people suffering these disconnects the app is unreliable. Even if those workarounds have been applied.
For me sometimes it unauthorized again 10 minutes after re-login and restarting the app.

It doesn’t work for me either. The app disconnects every single day. I really respect you for all your hard work and its because we all love this app so much that were so passionate about it but a few people has offered their help to support you with it, maybe you could accept it? Share the code? Just an idea… :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

In order to start flows with Alexa the Alexa App in Homey has to be installed. Everything works fine and all flows I want to use work the way I expect them to work. BUT: during the day the connection of the App with my Amazon login data seems to get lost. All Alexa items are shown with a red triangle and an eclamation mark in it. No flow with Alexa work then. So I go to the App section in Homey, choose „configure App“ and retype my user data and connect to Amazon. After that everything is fine again, the red mark vanishes and a hint is shown that Alexa is connected. Here I could klick to disconnect. Next day: same problem again, connection lost without having changes or restarting Homey or the App. Is this a know issue? What can I do?

1 Like