Enter the world of smart lighting
App Store Page: Twinkly App for Homey | Homey
Twinkly is the new generation connected LED light strings, controllable via smartphone. The most advanced lighting technology at your fingertips, ready to make your decorations truly magical.
Important note for existing users: Versions prior to v3.1.0 used an unsupported method of communication, which kept interfering with the original Twinkly app. From v3.1.0 on, those devices will still work but are now treated as legacy devices. It is highly recommended to pair them anew using the new cloud based driver as soon as possible.
- Make sure you have your Twinkly lights configured using the Twinkly smartphone app and that you have them connected to your home network.
- Ensure that your devices’ firmware is up to date.
- Add your Twinkly as device in Homey, it should be discovered by the pairing wizard.
I took over the development of this app on 2021-03-02. Thanks a lot to @Phuturist who originally created this app. I will try my best to keep this app alive and stable, and if possible improve it in future.
- Using the legacy driver may disrupt functionality of the original Twinkly App.
This is a known problem caused by that unofficial api. The latest version supports the official cloud api, which also is under continuous improvement. Please migrate your devices to the new driver as soon as possible.
Cloud Driver Issues
Please be aware of the following issues. These are currently under investigation by Twinkly.
- Status Message: Could not get OAuth2Client
If for any reason your authentication becomes invalidated, please go into one of the devices advanced settings and do a “Repair” from there. You might need to restart the app from the settings menu afterwards (“More…” → “Apps” → “Twinkly” → ‘little gear icon’)
- Status Message: Device seems to be offline
This message is issued by the Twinkly api itself. You can not do anything in the app or Homey to work around this. It literally means that your Twinkly is not connected to Twinkly’s MQTT server, for whatever reason this might happen. Doing a power cycle of your Twinkly will enforce an immediate reconnect.
v4.2.x (in internal testing)
- Added: Effect selection action flowcard is now available to retail devices as well.
- Changed: API backend has been upgraded from polling to event based, massively reducing the traffic caused by the app.
- Changed: Commands api is now using a managed command execution rather than a fire and forget strategy. This should actually populate any commands failing up to the UI and the flowcard system.
- Added: Ability to select on device stored effects, using action flowcard, for Twinkly Pro devices.
- Fixed: A potential problem where the app could possibly crash due to the retrieved hue value being slightly out of range.
- Updated: Athom OAuth library.
- Fixed: A potential problem where newly added grouped devices would not turn on.
- Fixed: A rare race condition during device init could unexpectedly crash the app.
- Fixed: Device capabilities are now limited to controllable capabilities correctly.
- Fixed: An issue where the device status polling would not get disabled for devices which have been removed from Homey.
- Fixed: A bug during status polling which would cause device infos not get updated if the device supports color temperature mode only.
- Fixed: A potential bug when handling on/off versus dim value changes.
- Fixed: A status info problem which would cause devices show available even if the API reports them as offline right after Homey device initialization.
- Fixed: Toggling device back on now restores the last mode known by Homey.
- Fixed: Device status in Homey should not bounce back to previous status anymore.
- Fixed: Device on/off commands should be much more responsive now if toggled within a short period of time.
- Updated: Improved unavailable error messages, now giving more information on what is wrong.
- Updated: Homey oauth2 library.
- Updated: The device unavailable status should now indicate when it is unavailable because of it being controlled by another Twinkly in group mode.
- Added: Support for the official Twinkly cloud api.
- Added: Support for Homey Cloud.
- Deprecation: This version deprecates the old lan protocol. Devices will still work but you should consider migrating to the cloud driver as soon as possible.
- Fixed: Dimming not working on SDKv3 version.
- Fixed: Potential memory leaks when uninstalling/updating the app. Note: This only fixes the issue for upcoming updates/uninstalls. You might want to consider rebooting your Homey after this update.
- Few minor under the hood changes to improve performance.
App ownership changed
v3.0.5 - 2021-02-22
- Update to SDK3 (requires Homey firmware 5.x)
- Added dimming capability
- Minor improvements
v1.1.1 - 2019-12-18
Added an action card for switching demo mode on or off.
v1.1.0 - 2019-11-18
- Autodiscovery has been added to make pairing easier
- An action card for setting your Twinkly lights to a solid color has been added as extra functionality
v1.0.3 - 2019-02-07
- FIX: improvements to pairing template for firmware 2.x
- FIX: code refactoring in driver (replace callbacks with promises)
v1.0.2 - 2019-01-21
FIX: small fix to avoid app crashes when reconnecting after a disconnect
v1.0.1 - 2018-12-02
- FIX: small improvement that might fix issues for some people
v1.0.0 - 2018-11-25
NEW: initial version
Nice! And just when Twinkly is found at the Black Friday sales. Guess I have to buy one (or a few)
I’ll let everyone in Homey homies know about your app!
Just bought one. Will try when I get home.
Wich version did you get? And can you tell me where? I’m looking for the smallest Twinkly version, but the only one I can find is at Intratuin at 50 euro’s (wich isnt’t that expensive, but Black friday discount would be nice haha)
Bought the 175 led. In sweden from kjell.com
when do you think this app is available in the appstore as a beta
Someone else that has problems with connecting to a local network. Have tried everything. Only the direct that works.
When Athom approves the app, that sometimes takes a day and sometimes a week. Out of my hands.
Yes, it’s buggy. Took me a while to get it connected as well. On Android you could try to purge the app settings and cache and try again.
Awesome, was thinking of starting an app for the Twinkly lights myself but am lacking time. Will try after Sinterklaas Thanks!
Version 1.0.0 is published in the app store. It has been tested with firmware version 2.0.22-mqtt but it seems it does not work properly yet with firmware version 2.0.23-mqtt which is currently in beta. When this hits stable the app will need to be updated. So you might want to stick with 2.0.22-mqtt until the Homey app has been updated.
Got Twinkly Strings (225 leds) connected with static IP and firmware 2.0.22-mqtt but for some reason cannot get it to work with the Homey app, on/off doesnt do anything. It works fine through the Twinkly app.
Different LED strings seem to be using different commands. I need to figure out which LED string uses which command.
Anyone experiencing this issue can help me fix this by doing a CLI install of this Homey app version which contains extra debug logging, This should tell me what is going on. Just run this version from command line and first control the Twinkly with the smartphone app than try to control the Twinkly with my Homey app. The logging should show the status your Twinkly is in (something like off, effect or movie).
Please report your findings here.
i do also have the 225 string and it works
Update: It seems to be working suddenly now (strings 225).
Good to hear, would you consider updating your rating in the app store as well.
Just bought the 175 version. Need to test this before Christmas I guess
v1.0.1 - 2018-12-02
- FIX: small improvement that might fix issues for some people
Seeying the reactions here and on Github this improvement probably wont have much effect. If the Twinkly app is not working for you make sure you select a predefined effect within the Twinkly smartphone app, then close this smartphone app and pair your Twinkly with Homey. That should make sure you are able to turn in on and off.
I’ve used it for turning my lights on and off, but I’ve had problems using the Twinkly app to change effect. Been on support with Twinkly devs all Christmas trying to figure out what’s going on.
Seems to work fine now after deleting it from Homey…
I kept getting “Unauthorized” “NSErrorFailingURLStringKey”, “NSLocalizedDescription = Unauthorized”.
I’d like it to work with Homey, but for now I’m just cutting the power with a power strip instead.
I also have some problems with effects abruptly stopping and restarting when looping (especially the Glow effect and white LED).