Zone inactive for x minutes triggers, while there is motion, leaving me in the dark

Hi Rrrr,

Thanks for starting a topic on this one.
To me, the title doesn’t reflect my experiences.
The ‘zone is inactive’ trigger works flawless here, so I think the title should be
“Zone inactive for x minutes triggers, while there is motion, leaving me in the dark”.

So here’s my setup:
2x Pro19
Sensors:
-Aqara zigbee motion + contact (per Homey, and later on per HA zigbee2mqtt),
-Sonoff zigbee contact (per HA z2m),
-DIY presence & motion wifi per ESPhome

I do not own sensors which should be polled

I encountered the fact the ‘zone was inactive for x minutes’ trigger issue when I started with Homey, say Q4 2020
After that, I did not want to do any further tests.
What’s the point tbh, when it seems not to be a generic ‘bug’ of the timed zone inactivity detection.

I keep ‘promoting’ the use the ‘zone is inactive’ trigger with use of an additional Chronograph timer, like this:

because of the advantages:

1. with a Pro19, the steps between the lower values are far too large, pretty useless to me;
    I can only pick 1 or 5 or 10 minutes, while I like to be able to fine tune it, say 0.5, 1.5, or 3mins
  1. with a Chronograph timer I can set a free to choose duration time from 1s. in steps of 1s.
  2. chronograph timers survive a power outage / reboot, because they don’t just count down, they count towards a timestamp, created by timer start time + duration time.
    This way, your lights / devices still will be turned off after Homey has started, while there’s no activity

‘zone is inactive for x minutes’ trigger don’t survive a reboot (as well as onboard flow delays)

1. it’s possible to use a numeric variable as timer duration value. It’s easier to finetune, or even set different inactive times for different situations

@Marius_Stensrod smart fix!

2 Likes