Zigbee unstable since update to second last update

Hi,

Since the second last update Zigbe network is unstable. Worked for 2 years. Not changed devices and now, buttons (ikea) stop working. Lights (Trust) stop responding.
But the do show up in the developer tools.
When i switch a trust light of, homey says: Cannot communicate with device.
When i unpower a light, and give it power again. I can control it one time.

I have enough routers but they are hardly used. That might cause the problem. But how can you change that? Re-pair every switch after every reboot?

So a bit more digging. It really seems to be a stability issue. Zigbe lights take a long time to respond. And sometimes, when i turn of a light, it goes off, but homey thinks it is still on.

1 Like

version number please

Homey model please

While everyone should have zigbee issues in case the firmware is the cause, and it doesn’t seem to be the case, try to think of other things which changed around the time you installed “the second last update”;
Also,

1. did you replace the PSU and cable for a well known brand 5V / 2A (or more) PSU already? Does it change anything?

Not stability, it seems very much like interference, OR a bad PSU;
2. Are you aware of the fact wifi can interfere with zigbee?
3. Is your Wifi channel changed? Is it fixed to 1, 6 or 11 in the first place? What’s your zigbee channel atm?
4. Did any nearby neighbour install an other wifi system which can possibly interfere? Did you measure which wifi channels are busy in your location?

Wifi vs zigbee channels:

1 Like

Thank you for your answers. They clarify a lot.
Model: Homey Pro (Early 2019)
Version: 8.1.6

I can look into how crowed the Wi-Fi and Zigbee channels are.

I have the original PSU. That was not a problem so far.
I’m looking why an update (or reboot) would cause this much trouble. But the trouble looks a lot like you would have with a bad power supply…So i will change that to. Maybe the Homey is just a bit busier with the new software… Or something.

2 Likes

Good day,

I have the same problems. ( slow response of zigbee items or not responding)
I contact Athom for support and get answers very fast. They can help you with this.
If you have backups you can restart also your zigbee network. But please ask support by Athom they have clear steps what to do.
For me it looks like it is working at the moment.

1 Like

I´m having the same issues since last update, around 25 devices (Zigbee), I have my Wifi on Ch13 and Zigbee is on Ch15 (Can´t seem to change Zigbee channel btw…)

All of my Zigbee devices works sporadically, get “timeout 5000ms” all the time and lights never works without delay, it can take around 5-15min before an power on happens etc.

I have a Homey Pro 2023 (10.0.0-rc.133.).

Should be possible here https://tools.developer.homey.app/tools/zigbee. Not sure if it still is the case for Pro 2023.

I don’t think it’s possible to choose your zigbee channel anymore. Instead it chooses one automatically on set up and requires a full zigbee reset to change.

Good morning. I have the same problem with my homey pro 2023… since the last rc139. big latency on my zigbee network

1 Like

Status update:

I reset my Zigbee network today and re-added all my 29 devices. Everything worked fine during the repair-process of the devices, I tested power on/off for every dimmer I added after it was added. There where no latency at all this far. But after a little while I lost connection to my HP23 in the app, I was monitoring ping for the HP23 during this whole process and I lost around 14 replys during this “outage”, I also checked my network and the Homey was connected to Wifi during this “outage” from what I can see.
Anyway, after this “outage” the latency was back, now nothing is working as it should and the delays are extreme when I don´t get “timeout”.

I also tried to remove the latest added devices without luck. As I wrote earlier, I do not have overlapping any Wifi (my own or neighbors) and Zigbee channels.

I created a diag bundle: 85A803EB

EDIT: After the “outage” I can also see the CPU usage hoovering around 70% instead of around 40-50%.
I do not currently have any battery powered zigbee devices connected.

small precision for my case : since the last update it is my switches double aqara switch and double aqara relay for which I have problems. indeed my flows concerning the switch 2 switches and relays work very difficult and with a lot of latency. switch 1 of the switches works correctly

Interesting, 3 of my devices are Aqara Zigbee devices…

Edit: Tried to first remove my Aqara devices and then uninstall the Aqara app, after 1min my HP23 froze and is now unreachable, can´t ping, can´t be reached through the app. But as last time, I can see that the HP23 is still connected to my Wifi.

How do you check Homey “is still connected”?
When ping gets no response, there is no (usable) connection imho…

What does Fing tell you about Homey / it’s IP address?
RU sure there’s no other device with the same IP?

In my Unifi Controller, can see that the MAC is still connected to my SSID.

I’m very sure that this isnt a network issue, when I can reach the Homey again I can see that the 1min and 5min CPU avg is around 1% with a much higher 15% avg.

I think i am going to assume it is related to the update since i am not the only one anymore and i did the update at 2:00 at night. The chances that my neighbour was setting up WIFI that could interfere are nihil.
Besides the update, nothing changed in my case.

What models of devices are you using?

This is the list:

When their wifi’s 2.4GHz channel setting is on “auto”, there always is a chance it changed channels on its own, while the neighbour is asleep :upside_down_face:

BlockquoteWhen their wifi’s 2.4GHz channel setting is on “auto”, there always is a chance it changed channels on its own, while the neighbour is asleep :upside_down_face:

Yep. Exactly in those 5 minutes… It might happen… but i doubt it seeing the other tickets.
Also my power supply, that was big enough before the update might have started supplying less power.
Or… there is a bug in the software…
Let’s pick the thing that happens the most :stuck_out_tongue:

I created a support case last week, first response were standard troubleshooting of network connectivity for the Homey which I´ve already followed. Let´s see what next response will be.

Updated to the new 10.0.0 release today and that did not solve my Zigbee issues.

Here´s my devices (for some reason I can only see the route for my Z-Wave devices):

EDIT:
I also noticed one more thing now, since the issues started the avg CPU load and temps has risen at the same time as these issues started. From around 15-20% CPU load to 40-50% CPU load with temps following…

Heres a drilldown for yesterday, alot of 80%+ peaks that are making my avg high (around 120min apart).

Further troubleshooting has also been made, I´ve disabled my 2.4ghz altogether without it helping, and disabling all AP´s except one. My SSID is placed on channel 3 and my Zigbee network has channel 25 now (didn´t overlap before and does absolutely not overlap now). The airquality on 2,4Ghz looks clean on Zigbee channel 25 in terms of available SSID´s. Below is a printscreen from Unifi Controller (discovered SSID´s last week, the peak on channel 6 is mostly cars driving by).

Below you can find some data on ping from a server to my HP23 (not onsite that´s why it´s 11ms). Other wireless devices is flatlining without any errors, basically flatlining at 11ms.

In my grafana dashboard the outages are also very apparent.

2 Likes

Getting back to this thread. Athom helped me with looking for the problem. It looked like a power issue. They shipped a new adapter and it worked fine for a while but then it started again.
It seems that 2 Ampére is not enough. I bought the VOLTCRAFT VC-13082880 USB-charger. Especially that one since is can to 4.5 Ampére and at least 3 Ampére. And now the Homey is snappy again. Zigbee works fine and fast again.

Try it, and if it does not help, it does not hurt either since 2A is barely enough anyway.