Want to write my first app for a wifi enabled device, looking for a boilerplate

Can someone help me starting to write my first app?
I have two Blauberg Vento Wifi enabled single room ventilation systems and want to manage them in Homey.
They work with UDP packages and indirectly with http requests.

Where to start? Is there some boilerplate? Or a peek in well documented code with similar functionality for another device?

1 Like

Shelly devices use mDNS discovery and HTTP requests, perhaps its app can serve as a starting point? https://github.com/jghaanstra/cloud.shelly

2 Likes

Thanks.
Will check this one out.

Hi, I’m interested in the same ting, so here is my 5 cents. The fans use UDP and this is the one I have https://blaubergventilatoren.de/en/product/vento-expert-a50-1-w#downloads (though branded as “Swedish” Flexit). There is a Connection to Smart Home document with some syntax. Let me know if you make any progress?
Amund

I´m also interested in the same. Please update on any progress. Thanks!

Sorry, was too busy lately to set this up. Even too busy to reply :wink:
Still too busy to look into this as I got some other priority projects.

@Amund_Westbye I have a whitepaper with all the UDP values in it, so that’s arranged.

Hi, Maybe this post will make it easier for you? https://community.openhab.org/t/looking-for-binding-blauberg-air-handling-unit-with-heat-recovery/34027
I’m also considering to buy this Blaud Unit but not an expert on UDP protocol. Will keep an eye ion this post to see if you found time.

So, still no app for Blauberg?

Still no app for the Blauberg Vento fans?

1 Like

hi,
i have a few more blauberg ventos. but i still can’t find a suitable solution.
Have you managed it?
Documentation is there - but too sparse for me

I’m also wanting to port an AC system that I was easily able to write for Hubitat but due to the lack of information and documentation from Anthom I’m really struggling to duplicate the app for Homey.

Must say I’m super surprised at how little support there is for developers who wish to expand the market for Homey. Heck, I’d even pay for a support service like Apple or Google have so that I can ask questions and get considered replies.

And yet, there are a lot of community-built apps in the app store :man_shrugging:t3:

I have not had a single community member bother to even reply to any questions of help or assistance, so if that is occuring, then it is probably due to some other methods of communication or knowledge being transferred around. You can always provide more to help document and communicate and I have no doubt for some folks they feel they have enough details to be productive (or more time to stumble around in the dark to figure it out for themselves) but I can state for a fact that the community at Hubitat Elevation® not only help new developers but the authors of the device and system are more supportive than what I’ve seen come out of Anthom/Homey. I hate complaining, but I’d rather say something than just sit here expecting it to change on its own.

If you have specific questions, Homey’s Slack channel (specifically #developers) is probably the quickest way to get answers.

Posting on slack hasn’t provided any better response. It just seems the community and the developers of Homey seems to not really care about growing the community anymore… that’s a shame. I guess this is why Home Assistant is so popular including the much less sophisticated Hubitat - better communities that actually help new people get started etc

…and there could be way, way more if a little more help and assistance was available.

So what was the OP about ??

Imagine if teachers and educators also said, well 10 kids understand this maths or science, so what’s wrong with all you other kids who don’t understand???

I still don’t know what your questions are in detail :man_shrugging:
That’s why you don’t get answers. Nobody can give you a complete blueprint you want to have. you have to do the first things by yourself. Discover the Homey API and the style of Homey apps. Try out some test cases - using the really comfortable documentation and API referene (including a lot of examples).
And then - if you really have questions about implementation we can answer, you will get a lot of responses.

So try to ask same way in HA forum and I think all users will wonder about the queston, too.

1 Like

I answered your question on Slack by providing links to a few apps that you could look at as an example, as well as linking to the overall developer documentation :man_shrugging:t3:

But as @RonnyW already said: you’re not posting any specific questions that people can help you with. It’s also unclear how much of an effort you have put in already, like creating a bare-bones Homey app to figure out the specifics of how Homey apps work, and their terminology.

1 Like