The new Homey Pro — Ask Me Anything

They’re on it! Great to hear. They’re also actively hiring new people so I guess it would only go faster after this.

6 Likes

Adding to that: The new app looks great! First-batch purchasers (non-Devs) will now receive e-mails for installing the beta/early app preview.

3 Likes

Not quite for devs indeed, but I just found this mentioned @ Slack, there is now an issue-tracker-ish page for users;
There’s also a link to the Pro 23 firmware changelog,
and, an ETHERNET connection HOWTO :wink: :wink:
https://homey.app/en-us/wiki/hp23-early-access/

6 Likes

Quite some risks they have to manage during new product rollout: new hardware,new firmware,new app. Hopefully the circuitboards are fine and no unexpected interference between the cm4/esp32 and the power regulators for instance

I think they have tested that quite a lot already. The new Homey Pro has probably been in production like1-2 year prior to we knowing. The hardware & contacts with manufacturers and chipmakers would have started WAY before we getting the device, as is testing the new Homey. I’m not to worried about interference.
Long-term board issues are something else, as is software and firmware. But it would be picked carefully. Also, Firmware and Software can be fixed and the Homey has a recovery mode so I think we’ll be set.

Let’s just hope they do a lot of software updates and support, as much as (new) app upport, supporting App developers and migrate all older apps that are still being used a lot.

Just got a new email on March 10, 16:19:

Your order #47XXX has shipped.

Can’t wait! Great! Expect your new Homey Pro soon, people!

Just received mine today :partying_face:

Restoring a backup from the old one doesn’t seem to work yet, so hopefully, that will be added soon. (you can restore, but it won’t connect to devices without reconnecting, and seems to have issues with apps, although they seem to be installed, they are not)

You mean from Cloud backup or not at all?

restore was from a Homey pro (v2019) to a Homey pro 2023 . It shows all devices, just not connected, but also you see apps under the app section of the app, but as soon as you change something you see an error message. Also in storage it doesn’t show any space taken for the apps install, so maybe that also explains why devices aren’t connected, and it’s just a minor bug.

Received the Homey Pro about an hour ago, so this is just a first test, will do some more testing tonight.

And it was announced they are still working on restoring backups from older versions, so didn’t really expect it to be flawless, pretty sure it will be fixed soon.

1 Like

Give it some time, it could be the apps are queued to be downloaded.

1 Like

Yeah, thought that might be it, but 0 network traffic yet, just reset the Homey 2023 and will try again tonight to see what happens.

UPDATE After resetting and restoring a backups, now it’s downloading all apps instantly and some devices already work (other apps still downloading)

Update2: Zigbee devices restored from a backup don’t seem to be working yet, will still test a bit more. Also not all apps (even compatible ones) will be installed from the backup, but after manually installing them everything works fine

2 Likes

The new beta app is still very slow and randomly crashing on my Galaxy S21 connected to an old Homey, 2018 model. New Homey is on its way but I was hoping that it was also working better and faster on earlier models.

My older Homey is working fine on my S21(+), just an manual backup gives an error.

It was announces that Zigbee devices would need to be re-paired after restoring a backup on the new HP23. Or do you mean something else?

I have just removed the beta app from my devices. Permanent crashes, very slow, the widgets only work partially and the variables are no longer displayed. The app is simply not usable.
I will try it again in a few weeks.

4 Likes

So there is a restore option without having purchased Cloud backups? I’m asking because currently Cloud backups do not work for me (insufficient space…)

+1, quite a disappointment :disappointed:

I used cloud backups, not sure if there is any other option

1 Like

No you need a successfull Cloud Backup!

The other option is rebuild from scratch…

edit: clarified

? There is some other Cloud backup solution? Or you mean I need successfull backup

So, I’m not the only one… Same experience here. However, variables are displayed on my app… So, what are you missing exactly?

No, you just

Find them here: