The new Homey Pro — Ask Me Anything

Hey Emile,

In the Device Capabilities App voor Homey users can create Advanced Virtual Devices for which they can set custom icons for the devices and also for the capabilities(!).
With the upcoming new Homey Pro, i need to find a way for users to migrate.
But the current device and capabilities icon paths refer to the /userdata folder.

Question:
How can i facility a migration to the new environment for the DC app?

Seeing how many users have this app installed in the recent months that the AVDs is live, i really want to (fully, including custom icons) support migration.
Also considering the VD app is the second-to-most used Tools App and is no longer maintained, so it will not work on the new Pro, i would really like to be able to get this app working on the new Pro, so people have something to transfer to.

All my apps are already sdk3, but, as far as i can tell, i need a way to a) have a local path available and be able to reset the iconpath for existing devices (or new ones if app developers can include a migration script or something) or b) set the icons of devices and capabilities directly with an icon from stream/memory/url/etc.

Using the ManagerImages cannot be used for this atm, because of dynamic urls and urls cannot be used, only paths (and there is the issue of the app loading after icons for devices and capabilities are loaded).

And, there are more apps out there that need a solution to the /userdata folder missing, if the want to support migration to the awesome looking new Homey Pro, like i do!

And yes, ofc DC and AVDs can and will be migrated, but if the icons are empty it would be kind of wierd and irritating for users.

N.b. For me it is not a big deal, i don’t (yet/really) use the AVDs myself, only develop it for others who want to use Homey as a Dashboard.
And with the Homey Controller/Satellite Apps i’m creating, other usaches of the /userdata is no longer an issue for me, i only want it on the satellites i’ll be having around the house! But there are quite a few other people who would probably love a migration and a functioning new AVD app.

N.b.2. And seeing how 86(!) people have already signed/liked the petition about this app, which is by far the most likes ever on this forum, it lookes to me that people really love to be able to fully customise there (virtual) devices.
So i really hope we can look for a solution together, willing to adapt and update my sourcecodes and apps.

7 Likes