Sattelite mode on the new Homey Pro

How exactly does the sattelite mode works with the new Homey Pro and the Homey Bridge?

I heard something in the Keynote about acting as a repeater.

Does this mean it will act as a regular repeater for for example Z-Wave?
Or is it more like a repeater but bridged via WiFi or ethernet?
The latter is usefull for me. Ethernet and WiFi has coverage in the whole house. It would be great if I can extend all protocols and standards via Ethernet to somewhere in the garage.

But just acting as a repeater in a mesh is just the same as a standard powered Z-wave device.

3 Likes

What about bluetooth will it be extended, too?

e.g. Home Assistant has now a bluetooth proxy (works fine with the xiaomi plant senors & HA)
ESPHome Bluetooth Proxy

Butā€¦ butā€¦ a zwave or zigbee smart socket does the same and runs local

Can the old Homey Pro also act as a repeater?

3 Likes

Sad to hear that Zigbee and ZWave only act as a repeater in Sattelite mode. The question was answered in the AMA.
So it works just like any other powered device in the mesh network.

That means you cannot extend the functionality to a room with poor coverage where you have WiFi or Ethernet. For example a garage.
Only 443 and IR are bridged that way.

@psvjw @David this might be interesting :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Thanx!

1 Like

And @psvjw and @David, if you need something specific, just let me know.

You now (when itā€™s released) can already start flows on the ā€œold homeyā€.

Thuse, you can keep it as a separate entity with its own Zwave devices, which you can control through the New Homey by flows.

4 Likes

Iā€™d like to know this too! Anyone tested this? Is adding a homey bridge in sattelite mode extending the BLE range?

Thanks for the Bluetooth proxy tip. Iā€™ll use that with HA and transfer my aqara plant sensors to that system then

I asked support a month ago:

Satellite Mode already works for IR and 433, Zigbee and Z-Wave are being worked on, but it is not possible to say exactly when this will be fully operational.

I canā€™t seem to find an answer but conform the latest SW release satellite mode is available for Zwave devices. How do I configure this? Is it only available for the Homey bridge? I want to spread some zwave devices over my HP2019 and HP2023.

With the old Homey App, you could connect the HP2019 as a zwave client. Than it wouldbe use as extender.

And yes, the official firmware uses the bridge as Sat.

Arie, I think he might or will need your Homesh apps to use a Pro2019 as Sat when using app v7.x?

HP2019 could be used as zwave client (before with the old Homey Mobile App).
Meaning, the HP2019 itself would becaume a zwave client to another (Homey) controller.
This would mean it would be just another ā€œrouterā€ in the zwave mesh network.

However, if you want to install other devices on the HP2019 completly, with the apps on that HP2019, then yes, you will need the Homesh app to do this.

Yes, I have been using the Homesh app now for a long time and very happy with it but it always needs a flow.
But I wanted to use my HP2019 as a zwave/zigbee client to easily transfer some devices. I understand that this feature has been discontinued with the new Homey app?

Please explain what you mean with ā€œtransferā€?
Do you want to extend the z-wave range to reach further away?
Do you want to use WiFi to extend the z-wave network?

It is currently not possible to have the HP2019 as a satellite, except for the Homesh app. I wanted to extend the Zigbee network and spread my devices over the 2 Homeys but keep the flows etc on the HP2023. So transfer=move

To do this you need the Homesh app.
Including zigbee (or z-wave) units on different Homey will create two different mesh systems.

Best approach is to include all to one Homey and have routers (non-battery units like lamps, relays, wall-plugs) spread out in the environment/house. Doing this you will have one big mesh system.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I said

is there any news regarding BLE and satellite mode?

When using a bridge as satellite on a HP23 is the BLE function also extended to the satellite so the BLE range/reception is also possible via the bridge?