Ring Doorbell and Camera support for Homey

@DaneedeKruyff looks like when homey reboots it’s stopped working ….

Seen that too, could you please answer these questions

I didn’t notice your post earlier, sorry for that.
The flow should work on Homey Pro Early 2023, at least it worked when I added the option to choose the desired sound on an earlier firmware version. Unfortunately I can’t test it right now.

• Could you please restart the Ring app, and next run the flow that should ring the Chime.
  • After that please send a Diagnostics Report from the app.
  • Also, please share a screenshot from your flow (easiest to use https://my.homey.app for that)

No problem, I read your on a vacation :slight_smile:

I restarted the app and ran the flow below:

First got the network request failed and then another error showwing: “Object object”

Diagnostic report: 113b13b4-981a-4cbf-a0bb-f7a0441983d3

Hope might see an easy fix, if not enjoy your holiday and let me know afterwards please :sunglasses:

The “Object object” and “Network request failed” have nothing to do with the app, that’s just Homey’s web client, if you force refresh those errors will disappear. (At least for a while).

I can see nothing wrong in the log and that flow also looks fine to me so I’m not sure why it isn’t working for you. I’ve just tested it at my Homey and there it works.

• How many chimes do you have?
  • Have you set up multiple locations in you Ring account?

Test version promoted to stable version

Version 2.10.20

• Added Smart Alerts to Doorbell and Cameras
  • Minor translation fixes

This version that has been in test the last weeks brings Smart Alerts to you Doorbell and Cameras. To be able to use this functionality you will have to have a subscription at Ring, then you just have to enable this functionality on your device in the Ring Smartphone app.
Go into the device and select Motion Settings. Next scroll down and click on Smart Alerts and click Enable Feature. After confirming the message about the slight delay this function will bring you are taken to the setting of Smart Alerts. Here you can set if you want to record and/or alert per Smart Alert type. Click on Done when you have made the desired selection.

Now you’ve setup your device you can start using the Motion Type tag that’s added to the The motion alarm turned on flow card.

The different types will be in the language you’ve set Homey to, they are displayed on the tooltip. To get comfortable using them, I suggest to make a test flow like this:

IMPORTANT: There still is a problem with receiving notifications from Ring. There’s a fix in the ring-client-api that partially solve this, I will publish a test version with the new ring-client-api as soon as possible.

3 Likes

Do you plan to add Ring Intercom in the future?

1 Like

I have a ring security camera. I use the motion detector with flows for this. For example to send a snapshot to my google home. Now the motion detector no longer works via homey. It does work via the ring app (so the ring camera is not defective). Have already restarted the app, deleted homey restarted app, reconnected and created new ones (same flows). The motion detector still does not come in. If I also look at the motion detector on the ring app in homey, it is not detected either. If I want to test the flow, it does. Is it the app itself or something else with me? I have the version v2.10.20 on homey. Hopefully you have an answer to this???.. thank you very much.

Sorry for the google translate

What you are describing is exactly what is caused by the recent change Ring made in their API. Please follow these instructions to the letter: Ring Doorbell and Camera support for Homey - #98 by DaneedeKruyff

This will fix it untill the next time the Ring app is restarted.

Currently not. It is very hard to build and maintain support for a device I don’t have and I have no plans of purchasing one as I have no use for it.
If there is someone out there that has the device and can do a Pull Request I’m willing to look into it.

okay thanks. I’m going to check this out and follow. hopefully it will be resolved then.

So if I bought and shared access, could you try it?

Yes it is working. Thank you

I could but I can give no guarantees if this is going to work.
Also, as there is a problem with recieving notifications from Ring right now I want to be sure that is fixed first before adding new devices to the app.

Thank you for your message. I tried this, but it did not solve my problem. The Ring app kept losing the connection to the doorbell and the chime often. I just checked today and movement notifications stop here on May 13th. I deinstalled the app, but was unsuccessful in logging in to Ring after reinstalling the app. I tried it many times with two factor authentication on. It seems that something goes wrong while logging in.

New version published

Version 2.10.24

• Improved new ring-client-api

In this new app version an updated version of the ring-client-api is added. This does not yet fully fix the problem of not receiving notifications on Motion or Ring events but this does make it work longer then 24 hours after loggin at Ring or restart of the app after removing Homey from the authorised devices at Ring.
This will however not survive a restart of the Ring Doorbell an Cameras app.

When the app is restarted you will have to go through the following steps to get them working again:

• In the official Ring App, go to the Control Center. This can be reached from the main menu, under the Account section. See this article if you are having trouble finding it
  • Click on Authorized Client Devices
  • You will now see a list of authorized devices on your account. The devices created by this App will be listed as android devices, with names like:
    • Homey
    • Device name not found or Homey-Auth-token
  • Now only remove the Homey device
  • After removing the device please stop and start the Ring Doorbell and Cameras app on your Homey
  • Notifications should now be working :crossed_fingers: :rocket:

Finally, there is some good news in regards to fixing the problem. It seems the root cause of the problem is discovered, how to fix it is now being looked into.

2 Likes

The loosing of the connection is exactly the problem that we’re all facing now.
Please make sure you update the Ring Doorbell and Cameras app on your Homey to the latest version just published.
Next, remove the Homey entries from the Authorised Client Devices and stop and start the app as described above.
Next try loggin on again, please note that some special characters are not accepted by the app. If loggin on still fails please send a Diagnostics Report after a failed attempt.

1 Like

It’s weird, my general alarms keep working fine, so when someone rings the door all flows run, but the motion alarm stopped working some time ago.
I’m not going to risk the ‘fix’ of removing the devices for now, maybe when everything stops working I’ll have to do it.
The problem is that I reboot my Homey every week to avoid performance issues, so I’d have to redo the fix every week…

Well, if it’s working for you now I’d suggest you leave it like it is. A small percentage of users isn’t affected by this bug (unluckily for us the main developer of the ring-client-api too :wink: ) and it’s totally unclear why.
But I have a good hope the issue will be fixed, impossible to give an expected time of arrival though.

1 Like

Hi Danee, I have 1 chime but am also a guest on my parents in laws ring account to help them set everything up… I have a chime 2nd gen (not pro) and did a factory rest on Homey Pro (2023) to rule everything out, still no sound from my Ring Chime with the flowcard, only when someone rings the bell