Please confirm: Does automation execute on the local Homey device, or externally on Homey servers?

Not sure where they ship from for the US, in the Netherlands they ship usually next day Delivery but many other countries take longer.

A tip if it is your first encounter with Homey.

• Always use advanced flow :slight_smile:
  • A lot of stuff works with homey, but more brands is more apps.
  • imho z-wave is more stable than zigbee but it might be the brand. Z-wave seems to be better able to use routers.
  • If you can, stay away from devices that are not directly connected with the Homey. Since Homey has to talk to a third party cloud, it will not work if there is no internet and might be unstable, or you have to login every year.
  • If the Homey becomes unstable, change the power adapter.
  • Buy the ethernet adapter. Wifi works great, a cable is better.
  • You can find cheap lights and sensors. Read the forums. Cheap might result in annoyances.
  • Want an alarm? Use the Heimadal app.
  • Every automation is possible. So far i can build the crazies things in advanced flows. Sometimes you need a variable (they are powerfull) and tags.
  • Ask the forum if you think something should work, but it does not
  • The support from Homey is excellent.
    Happy automating.
7 Likes

It’s best to ask Athom: homey.app/support

Excellent! Thank you so much for these tips. My Homey Pro arrived today, and I dove right in.

Unfortunately, I signed up for the free “Homey” service to try some stuff before the “Pro” arrived, and now my new Pro is still limiting me to only 4 devices. Very disappointed to see something like this right out of the gate. :unamused:

Are you sure you’re actually managing your Homey Pro and not still Homey Cloud? There is no migration path between Cloud and Pro, so you need to add a new Homey to your account and switch over the app(s) to use the Pro instead of the Cloud.

3 Likes

Homey and HomeyPro23 are 2 different devices. One is a cloud device and the other a physical device.
2 things to check:

• go into your account and check “my homeys” - you need to register both in your account to be able to control both; if not already done, name/rename the new device in such a way that you can recognize it
  • if it is already in your account and you still only see a device with 4 devices limit, you need to select the other device first. You can only control 1 device at a time with the GUI.
    Best of luck!

PS: I now noticed Robert’s answer, but I decided to leave mine here as well.

2 Likes

It doesn’t add itself to your wifi and app, does it? :wink:
What’s in the manual? Is there a manual in the box?

Here’s what the knowledge base is saying:
“Sign in or create a new account, and tap New Homey

2 Likes

This one came from Massachusetts. It was brought down to MD by Amazon (they’re partnering w/USPS now), and once it arrived in MD, USPS brought it to our doorstep. It was only 4 days, but felt like an eternity!

1 Like

The inbox docs are minimal. Four paragraphs on four pages, with smaller, different language translations on each page. The last four pages focus on safety, handling, and specifications. Lots of fine print.

1 Like

Initially, that’s what happened. Then I discovered the error and started over. It still took a message to TS to clear it up, but all’s good now and I’m making progress.

I’m bummed though that Homey hasn’t developed an integration for IKEA’s Dirigera hub though. Not sure how I’m going to automate my IKEA roller blinds and lights now.

Reading through the Tradfri discussion and it sounds like an ongoing admin headache to keep the integration stable. :roll_eyes:

Connect them to Homey directly using the “official” IKEA app?

1 Like

Always try connecting directly to Homey. In the basic you do not need hubs or cloud accounts… And if you do, buy other devices if you can :slight_smile:

All the trouble i have are with indirect integrations.

1 Like