New developer help!

Hello folks!

I am trying to create an app for Homey, but as I am reading the documentation I am meeting some struggles.

Is there a way to get the users added to Homey?
Is it possible to send an user promp notification?

Is there any documentation for these issues? I cannot seem to find any.

Perhaps you should explain what your app is supposed to do.

That I can do:

Me and the wife bought some NERF guns over the summer holiday and I used HomeyScript to generate random matches during the day.
These matches have different game modes, amount of darts, type of weapon, rounds and time limits.
The generator is only started when both me and the wife have accepted a prompt notification from Homey.

I want to create the same functionality into an app, this is for learning and for fun. I am a JS and Python developer, but have never worked with the Homey SDK before. Another reason for having this as an app instead of just a HomeyScript is to allow for more settings (Ex exclude users from the matches).

App flow is started

• Check settings and get the timespan for when the generator should create matches (Allow the users to set a timespan for when the app can create matches) - Can also be done with simple flow card.
  • Check if all users are home
  • Get user accept

If all users accepts, continue.

• Generate match

• Select random mode, darts, time and rounds.

• Make Homey do a Text to speech for the countdown (3…2…1…GO)

• Make Homey keep track of the time limit and play an alert when a round is over

This is just a quick outline of what I want it to be able to do.

This is my first Homey App project, and the reason for doing this is just to learn at the same time as I am creating something fun for myself.

Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You need to use the Web API inside your app, since only with that you can access user data and trigger flows (which is what you need to send a text message, there is no API for sending them). However, I’m not sure if receiving the response of a prompt notification is actually possible from within an app.

The rest should be doable from an app, but be aware that this (basically implementing flows inside an app) isn’t really what apps are meant for, so it’ll be a bit of a challenge to implement it.

Can we appreciate the fact that you and your wife have random shootouts throughout the day? We need pics.

6 Likes