[Modding][HowTo] Homey Pro (Early 2023) - Resize user Partition on eMMC

It’s sort of Unix, isn’t ? :rofl:
But enough of trolling :wink:

Added it… while you were having phun :wink:
But beware executing just this on a system with other mappings can F*ck-up your system!

1 Like

So, got it finally running on Windows 11, have no idea why but using Hyper-V I was not able to install Raspberry Desktop, probably it is NOT safe to chose virtual drive smaller then 8GB and seems to be required to choose Debian 11 Bullseye (maybe someone else might confirm) - for me it always failed copying system files during installation.

Ended up using Oracle Virtual Box. Also tried many different tools before using this method (MiniTool Partition Wizard, AOMEI Partition, EASEus etc.) , even if I successfully extended extended partition, it still complained about cross linked files.

After installation, I selected USB → Raspberry Compute Module and got all drives mounted.
Then I followed guide from @Gruijter , the e2fsck found really a lot of errors (inodes, bitmap reference…), fixed them all … here I’m not really sure I did this right to be honest.

Not sure @Gruijter what you meant by this, not to fix the errors ? (as I see no errros on your screenshots)

Anyways, seems I’m up and running. Uf. :sweat: :rofl:

For me one error, I left it unchanged

1 Like

Wrong @Gruijter, you need @Dijker :kissing_heart:

1 Like

:man_facepalming: sorry ( my kids talking to me in parallel ) :laughing:

1 Like

OK, for me quite a lot (50-60?)…probably due to the “tests” in the past. But seems to be running fine, so far.

Thank you @Dijker , that Raspberry Desktop was a good stuff to try as all previous attempts failed for me.

Just curious…

Will an USB backup of the new setting contain your partition extension?

In other words, will this work?

1. Clean installed homey

2. Extending the user partition

3. Making a USB backup

4. User makes cloud backup of homey

5. User can restore the USB backup (with extended partition)

6. User can Restore his or her own cloud backup

Maybe an easier way for people to extend the partition?

I think it might work, but you’d have to extract the disk image from the .homeybackup file (and explain how to restore it), otherwise they would get an error about the backup not matching the Homey.

Feels to me more complex,
I hope Athom will make an Experimental option: [Extend UserPartition] on next Reboot, should not be that complex for them :wink:

5 Likes

Serieus?! Is homey checking if the backup is created on that particular device? (SN check?)

Did not know that, thanks :+1:

No, sorry, I was wrong. Even though the backup does contain a hash of the serial number (and some other metadata), the backup tool doesn’t actually do anything with it.

Just a find (not affiliated, not a customer there):
According to this shop: Not in stock, price = E87,50 and pay nothing until product has been dispatched
https://nl.farnell.com/en-NL/raspberry-pi/cm4108032/rpi-computemodule-4-32gb-emmc/dp/3585683

1 Like

Availability
Available for back order
More stock available week commencing 3/18/24

1 Like

I ordered from https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004294638308.html?dp=61e47a726ec3b25c50959f54&cn=ah&aff_fcid=2a09fa3eed6d45c59499abe2cbc7de05-1685975703319-06956-_AnTGXs&tt=CPS_NORMAL&aff_fsk=_AnTGXs&sk=_AnTGXs&afSmartRedirect=y - but now they do have only CM4104016.

Naturally there is always some risk but due to the size of my home, I couldn’t wait as my HP23 was extremely unstable / overloaded.

Oh, that’s even a longer wait than for the Pro 23 :rofl:

Making someone happy with a dead mug … :wink:

It’s available in just 9 months! You have to agree it is not expensive :rofl: :rofl: Sorry for the dead mug :laughing:

1 Like

For those using an Apple Silicon device (M1/M2) you can use UTM for running the Raspberry Pi Desktop

But have in mind, it is an emulation not a virtualisation.
So be patient. It will work but don’t hurry

Actually I haven’t find an ARM Image of the Raspberry Pi Desktop so far (for VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop Silicon Edition)

2 Likes

Edit: Fixed! See post below