Maximum number of zigbee devices reached?

Hi guys,

I’m having a question regarding this… ALL of my powered zigbee devices (routers and all from Ikea) are directly connected to homey without using mesh. Even if they are on the uppest floor. All of my other zigbee devices using a battery (all from xiaomi) are showing up nicely in a mesh network, the rest isn’t.

Problem is that Homey seems to be able to only control 14 devices at the same time directly. So, I’m considering to change all my lights from Ikea to Innr by example, in the hope that they use a mesh network aswell and not connecting directly to homey.

Any thoughts?

For what I have read, Ikea lights aren’t good in routing. The Ikea repeater does a better job.

To bypass the 15-20 devices limit, you can transfer some devices to an (Ikea) hub. I don’t think changing to Innr will change a lot.

Well, the battery powered devices are using the (ikea)routers very well. But the ikea devices itself are all connected directly, also when they are on the top floor. Doesn’t make sense to me. And when 14 or more devices are connected directly to homey, other devices become unresponsive/unavailible.

I will buy a couple of innrs to test with and see what happend. Otherwise, indeed connecting them to my hue bridge.

Or is there a way to force devices in a mesh by installing them in a specific order/way?

If you have a problem with your Zigbee network; unplug the Homey for at least 20mins. The network will re-mesh.

Perhaps some people want a working Zigbee mesh now instead of some unknown time in the future? A Zigbee rewrite has been mentioned for over a year now.

That’s why I bought the IKEA Tradfri gateway when I moved most of my home to smart lighting, at least it works.

1 Like

After my complaint about unreachable ZigBee devices here is my experience so far.
Bulbs etc are still controlled by the controller’s of IKEA and hue why because everything simply works reliable.
4 hue motion sensors are controlled by hue because of the advantage of switching of motion detection but lux and temp still work.
And because if they are connected to homey some values are stuck for certain moments.
Also hue controls my 2 dimmer switches because they simply fail to work when directly connected to homey.
Homey controlls 5 motion detectors(Xiaomi),6 contact switches(Xiaomi),4 temperature sensors (Xiaomi)and 7 switches(Xiaomi) and for meshing 3 repeaters (IKEA).
Till now for my homey runns without rebooting of failing devices.
This is just for everyone who has similar problems and want a working solution.

Hi,

May I ask in what sequence you added the devices? I only have 7 zigbee devices directly to homey and are unable to add more, everything just times out… Today I bought two ikea repeaters to see if that would help, but again, i can’t add the damn repeaters to test. Wondering if I need to remove some of my 7 devices to get the repeaters paired.

Appreciate any help.

Reidar

No I did not payed attention on how I added my devices.
But with only 7 devices you could reset the zigbee network and see if that helps or a ptp for a couple of minutes.

1 Like

Done the ptp, contacted support (which admits there is an issue) but they only say they are working on it. Really hoped not to try resetting the zigbee network but it may be the only solution left.

Thanks for your answer.

Ended up doing a full zigbee network reset, ended up with errors on all zigbee devices and had to include them (with duplicate error) and then manually remove them afterwards. On the bright side I’ve added upto 10 devices now so it seems to have helped a bit.