[HowTo][Modding] Investigating Homey’s eMMC wear estimation

@Ranney you have spare HP23, how? I thought your CM4 died twice… or you replaced the eMMC storage?

If so, don’t forget to update [Modding][OT] Replacing a eMMC chip on a CM4 module - #9 by Dijker. :slight_smile:

Ahh, good to know that they are collecting this info in the background now. Maybe better indeed :+1: (if I see how many discussions there are only on the temperature :yum:)

And sorry for my poor English.

I have 2 homey pro’s 2023.
1 of them is my primary Domotica controller. In that one I’m using now my 3rd CM4 module. Both modules that I have replaced had issues with the flash chip. Both of them the same strange issues. (More and more flows with issues, strange errors.). One of them had the MySQL database error.

Interesting after replacing the CM4 modules, both times all broken flows stays broken but where visual there in the flow overview. I found that I have to:
Advanced flows:

1. Copy a flow
  2. Save the flow empty
  3. Paste the flow
  4. Save it again.

Simple flows:

1. Just post the ‘save’ button in the web editor for every flow

Had to do this with every single flow (was nearly impossible to find out wat was corrupt and what not because it was visual there). But after this everything was working again. So maybe a database corruption? (Would be great if homey has an ‘rebuild database option!)

And 1 have a second homey pro 2023. I use this for testing and finding issues. But it is never used as Domotica controller. In fact, primarily it is my backup if my primary dies and cannot ‘repaired’ by replacing the CM4. My hobby is ‘tolerated’ by the family. But if it is broken for some days until I receive a replacement, well, then it is over I think :see_no_evil::joy:

P.s. I have digged into replacing the eMMC itself. I think that it worth the effort to try it. . But the chip itself is also really expensive. So… why the effort and the risks? Was expecting that this chip is <10 euro but as far as I can see/find it is not.

1 Like

If you have some old backup of that Homey, search for db.sqlite and try to open it using for example, DB Browser for SQLite, or similar. But I guess your assumption might be correct, DB got damaged.

So I guess you will anyway order new one :laughing: Because moving that stuff away, you will spend weeks on migration :wink: But fully understand, my family also tolerate it, until it’s working…

That is a good idea, will search for an old backup! Hopefully I can find one. I know that it was exactly 2 weeks after making an usb backup. I make daily a cloud backup and every 14 days or before an firmware update a local backup. So was not very happy that moment.

Haha, yes. Migrating to another system is nearly impossible to do now. (Without big impact for the family :see_no_evil:)

But still very happy that the very basics (central heating in zones, Philips hue, door locks, etc.) are still working when homey is down :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

I hadn’t noticed this thread before, but now that I have, I find the info in here really worrying. I haven’t yet migrated from 2019 to 2023, but I’ve had my 2023 running (and upgraded the CM4) for months on the bench, with just a few apps and sensors connected. For sure, I’ll have to jailbreak it to check the state of the eMMC, but I almost cannot fathom how Athom could have failed to notice (well, they have now, but I bet there are loads of units out there on the brink of death) that their software is eating the life out of the eMMC at high speed.

The quoted amount of data being written to the eMMC further up in this thread is just ridiculous. It feels like I’ll have to purchase another CM4 to have as a backup for when the eMMC fails, which really isn’t acceptable.

A device like this should last for at least a few years under normal circumstances, and whether the latest firmwares have reduced the wear enough to allow for that is anyone’s guess.

It’s fixed now + Athom is monitoring the wear level now for everyone of us.
Also if you did not have enabled Experiment - Power user + just few set of sensors, you will be not affected, but as you know, it’s easy to check.

2 Likes

I did have the Power user experiment enabled, unfortunately. I haven’t yet rooted it to check the state of the eMMC, but I will do so before actually migrating my home system to the 2023. If it shows that the eMMC has been unacceptably worn, then I guess I’ll have to get a new one before migrating.

Now that they also seem to have botched the offline backup system so that units with upgraded CM4 modules can’t complete the process, it’s all become a bit harder. Not sure if this is intentional or not, but if it is, then they will for sure not fix it.

I’m on 70% estimated (30% remaining) but I’m testing every release and having bigger “smart home”, so I would not be so afraid in your case. Maybe you can drop a request to Athom support and ask them, if they can share it with you, without having to root your Homey ?

It might be still a bug but haven’t see any browser dev. console reports yet. Previously any such issue was related to the USB-C cable used.

1 Like

I just checked mine now, and it seems to be fine:

eMMC Life Time Estimation A [EXT_CSD_DEVICE_LIFE_TIME_EST_TYP_A]: 0x01
eMMC Life Time Estimation B [EXT_CSD_DEVICE_LIFE_TIME_EST_TYP_B]: 0x01
eMMC Pre EOL information [EXT_CSD_PRE_EOL_INFO]: 0x01

A note is that mine is on the latest stable firmware, and mmc-utils now comes preinstalled, so that step in the howto can be skipped if on the latest firmwares. Perhaps worthy a note in the OP?

1 Like