[Homey Pro (Early 2023)] App unsupported list

Are you gonna poort Second Location?
I am still dependend on that :wink:

YES, and quikactions as devicecard per location

Great, then i won’t need the second location app!

Because my office and house are separatly controlled, also the heating itself.

Perhaps “handing over rights to the app” might be a legal challenge, but, Athom requiring developers to sign documents making sure that developers cannot make claims about there app towarts Athom (and there customers etc.) should be a feasible thing in my opinion.

Ofc it should be a little bit more specified then that i understand(, but i’m not writing a legal proposition or anything here right now).

Now, some developers might not like that.
And, perhaps there is a way out: Give the developer an option if he wants to sign or not.
And if he does not sign, in the App Store, the App will get a notification: Athom cannot garantee that this app will remain (i know, we need a better text, this is just a rought example).

If he does sign, the sourcecode (without the env.json, athom has that if needed) must be placed as opensource somewhere or at least Athom has control over it (i think they already do since you upload it to them for the store).

Can’t something like this work perfectly? Everybody is free to choise there own way?
Giving customers there (needed) support on apps or a clear message before you start installing it and your house depends on it.

2 Likes

I really wish for that someone took over this abandoned app (already SDK3):

It is no longer in appstore and it is crucial for me and it will be very complex flows to replace when Early 2023 arrives without this app. The app picks values retrospective from any Insights and it calculates minimum, maximum, average, median, trend or standard deviation.

Examples what it handles for me:

• I get reports on battery powered sensor with no changes for 24 hours (battery low) in just one (not advanced) flow. The function I use is temperature trend = 0 for the last 24 hours.
  • I get report on Homey load and memory use is high in just one (not advanced) flow. This way I get report of unusual behavior and I can easily track down an problematic app. The function used is memory used average value bigger than x Mbyte for the last 4 hours
  • I get report on lowest temperature during last night with just two (not advanced) flows. The function used is temperatur low for the last 12 hours.

Abandonded for 2 years.

2 Likes

I’ll try to update it :slight_smile: Looks quite simple.

Edit: I currently waiting for permission of the old developer.
Edit2: Updated the app to SDK and rewrote it to Typescript for better maintaining. Still waiting of response of the old developer.

8 Likes

Can this be done using Device Capabilities?

Nice to know that Device Capabilities can read Insights data. And everything can be done in Homeyscript. But sometimes you just want a simple uncomplicated solution :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Rocodamelshekima has updated PiPup and published a test version

2 Likes

In other words: remove an app from the store after some time of non-responsiveness, like I said. That’s basically all Athom can do without getting into a legally difficult situation.

Well, and give the sourcecode to the next app publisher.

I don’t know about rights of a homemade app or transferring it and what you have to do to do that.
I also have no idea how to get an app in the Homey app store and if you have to enter data for that.
But would it be a possibility to make a box on the developer’s own page that he can tick to indicate that the app is no longer updating and transfer the app to Athom?
And that Athom would then indicate somewhere that there is an app looking for a new developer.
The idea of ticking the box is that if the developer doesn’t feel like doing all sorts of things to transfer the app just tick the box.
And done.

I also have no idea if this is legally achievable

This all feels like a moot point to me and not the real problem.

This isn’t a legal issue it is a resourcing issue.

There is an assumption here that the limit it the number of sdk3 applications - when that’s not the problem at all - the problem is the lack of developers and incentive (both from Athom and the community) to do the development work.

I put a call out 6 months ago asking if a developer wanted to update the Alexa app to sdk3. 0 responses.

While I’m now only providing 2 of the 8 apps via App Store. Over the last 6 years I’ve had a truely staggering amount of installs - enough to get an award and if I got $1 per install I could buy an (crappy) apartment.

And in all that time, with all those installs I’ve received maybe 13 donations from the community and still not enough to even pay for the new Honey Pro.

And only the jump the queue for homey pro (there wasn’t meant to be a hoodie … but it never arrived :frowning:

So on one side I have the community holding my reputation to ransom throwing out 1 star reviews unless. I go out and buy new Alexa devices and add them or being ungrateful and making demands of me - like I work for them.

And in the other I receive almost no support from athom. I am happy to pay for a homey pro for my smart home but how about a locked down developer device for free so I don’t have to mess with my house to keep the app updated? Or can test my apps on SDK3 with out my wife yelling at me that the “house is broken again”.

I love homey, It is by far the best system out there! I even really :heart: Athom, watching the ama was just like watching two nerds get excited by hone automation!

Problem is not licensing it’s an optics issue, and Athom do a good job when communicating to explain the situation but I’m not sure if the entire community is listening.

25 Likes

You - are - spot - on!

2 Likes

I agree and I am worried. I have an Early 2016 working totally fine, and because of that I ordered Early 2023. Electronics do not live for ever.
The developers of Pro-apps have invested a lot of hours in their appreciated apps, and I try to donate to the apps I use on regular basis. The Athom model moving to company developing will kill other developers interest and will end up in a less interesting Homey. It will be just like other smart home products.
Athom should rethink the model so Pro-developers can find some joy in contributing. Athom do not even promote donating in a good way.
If there are a lot of Pro-apps that will be removed from appstore I will reconsider my purchase of the new Homey and sadly cancel my order.

1 Like

Very well spoken @Jamie!

1 Like

Luxaflex Powerview is transferred to me

SDK 3 currently in test: [APP][PRO] Powerview- Luxaflex & Hunter Douglas - #6 by martijnpoppen

4 Likes

but if you work for Athom you get a free transparent Homey, maybe thats the solution

Whaha :stuck_out_tongue:

Good one!

1 Like

BetterLogic SDK3 is in test now.

Any more usefull apps that are still not to be updated to SDK3?

7 Likes