Heimdall - Let Homey watch over your home

Hello Frank,

Welcome, there are several reports of notifications not working as they should on Homey Pro Early 2023, not just from the Heimdall app but also others. You could try recreating the flows you’re using to write to the timeline. If that doesn’t help, please report this to Athom.

Hello everybody, I have Homey Pro 2023 and when I try to add Heimdall as new device, it just keeps loading infinitely, I tried resetting Heimdall app and reinstalling it, I would appreciate any help, thanks

Hello @Vasiya,

Welcome here and congratulations on getting your Homey and finding Heimdall.
Since these are your first steps with Homey and Heimdall I advise you to thoroughly read the first post of this topic and folow the instructions step by step.

Now let’s see what’s going on.
Please stop and start the Heimdall app, wait a minute before proceding.
Now start the procedure to add the Surveillance Mode device. Next, when you run into the problem, please describe the steps you have taken, which were succesful and at what step you get stuck.

After that go to the Apps settings page and send me a Diagnostics Report.

Thanks for quick reply, I just tried again and it worked, no idea why, maybe because I restarted Homey or connected it via LAN cable.

Hi everyone, have been using Heimdall for a while and am impressed by its features especially now that I also have a ring keypad v2.

However, for some reason the time between changing the surveillance mode and the keypad to respond (or any other action triggered by a state change in surveillance mode) is very long. This can take up to 20-30 secs.

Is there a way to debug what might be causing this? I am on one of the first Homey’s but all other apps seem to work fine…

Hi Pim,

When the Surveillance Mode is changed Heimdall sends out a system wide event with that change. The Ring Security app receives these messages and when the Integrated with Heimdall setting in that app is enabled it will handoff a command to the Z-Wave chip to send to the Keypad.
It’s hard to say where the delay comes from, it may be a delay in the event being sent or handled but it’s very unlikely it will be such a high delay. It’s more likely the delay is in the sending and processing of the Z-Wave command. (Btw, you did check you haven’t configured an Arming Delay?)

Could you please stop and start both the Heimdall and Ring Security app, wait a bit to make sure both apps are fully started and next change the Surveilance Mode. Now wait until the keypad responded and send me a Diagnostics Report form both apps.

Hi @DaneedeKruyff, thanks for your suggestions. Have done some more digging but it looks as if there is a fundamental delay between triggering a surveillance mode change (either via keypad or mode switch) and the actual change being reflected.

I simply put a flow together that triggers on surveillance mode changed and then checks the actual surveillance mode. The time this takes varies but especially from unarmed to partially armed takes quite a while. I hear the message from the keypad after approx 20-30 sec but then the actual state change happens about 10 secs later. From armed/partially armed back to unarmed seems relatively quick.

I have the arming delay switched off in above measurements. Also disabled logging and other options to see if that makes a difference but that is not noticeable.

Since I use the surveillance mode state change to trigger some other actions, eg blink a led strip to indicate the specific surveillance mode, it would be nice if that state change is effectuated faster.

Best
Pim

Hello Pim,

There is no builtin delay, apart from the Alarm Delay function, in Heimdall when changing the Surveillance Mode. Obviously there is a slight delay when the Surveillance Mode is switched as some code is executed but that is just some milliseconds.
Switching from Disarmed to a (Partially) Armed may take a slightly longer time than switching from (Partially) Armed to Disarmed because at that point a method to check your devices is started (asynchronous) but again, we’re talking milliseconds here.
So I’m afraid there’s noting in Heimdall causing the delay you are seeing, so nothing there to fix.

I have to advise you to look into the CPU and memory usage of your Homey, check if all your apps are functioning and all your devices are ok. Also check if you don’t have flows that are costly e.g. run every x seconds etc. Also, have a look at the Z-Wave network, that may decongested and causing delays.

Btw, in your follow up test, how did you change the Surveillance Mode, by Keypad or using the Surveillance Mode device or a flow? Helping out with issues like this is very hard when it is not absolutely clear what is being tested and what the exact used flow look like (A screenshot of a flow says more then a written description)

Hi Danee,

I changed the surveillance mode with the device as well as the keypad. The mode switch has similar delays which makes me believe it has nothing to do with the ring keypad.

How could I see that my networks (Z wave or Zigbee) are congested?

best
Pim

Let’s take this step by step. Let’s first focus on the behaviour when only using Heimdall, we’ll get to the Z-Wave part later.

Please create flows like these:

When you click the test button the editor will insert delay into the execution of the flow, so you have a visual indication of the working of the flow, so it’s not really representative of the actual execution speed so you also need this Standard flow:

Now, execute the flow, first by clicking the start button in the Advanced flow and next by clicking the Test button in the standard flow.

Next, please open the App settings in the Homey Developer Tools and select Heimdall and scroll down a bit to see the log. (tip to make the log readable)

You should now see two sets of logs as a result of the actions above, they will look something like this:

This is the result from using the start button in the Advanced Flow

The red line is the built in function to write to the log when changing the Surveillance Mode, the blue lines are from the flow. From this log you van see the arming takes mere milliseconds but the triggering of the Surveillance Mode changed card around 2 seconds.

This is the result from using the Standard Flow to trigger the actions

Again, the red line is from the built in function to log. Here you can see the actual Arming happens faster than the longlines from the flow are written, but again mere milliseconds. The triggering of the Survaillance Mode change card was faster now, under 2 seconds.

Please compare and post your results here. If the delays you get when running these flows are significantly higher than the delays shown from my Homey (This is my Early 2016 (homey1s) version) your problem has to do with your Homey simply being to busy.
When the delays are roughly the same the problem is most likely caused by your Z-Wave network.

New version published

Version 2.10.13

• Updated homey-api to 3.0.6

This is a maintenance release to keep up with the most recent homey-api version. No functional changes.

2 Likes

Finally got around to testing this a bit more. Have extended your test flows a bit, see below. Still notice a larger delay from starting the flow to partially arm to getting the confirmation that alarm is partially armed.

Also have sent diagnostic report.

Flows

Log

Hi Pim,

Your changes to the flow makes it complicated to read the log, but already 2 obeservations: You’re not using the keypad in combination with Heimdall in the way you’re supposed too and from the log I can see you are running an old Homey firware version which is causing problems.

Please update your Homey, make sure you have users configured Heimdall and let Heimdall take care of setting the Surveillance Mode.

Hi Danee,

The test flow for the keypad was to see if there is any delay in receiving messages from the keypad as I initially thought that maybe the surveillance state change from the keypad was delayed. However, if I time the delay to receive the pin from the keypad, there is no delay. So this is not my usual flow but purely for testing. I typically change the surveillance state either from the virtual button or via the keypad.

Will update the firmware to see if that makes any difference. Based on the change logs, I did not see any reason to update yet but will do.

Best
Pim

Such a shame the ‘Use Proximity Detection’ has the freezing issues, as it can be controlled through Heimdall, wouldn’t it be an option to disable the proximity detection as soon as ‘something’ like entry/exit delay happens and enable it when it’s idle?

I’ve looked into that, but it wasn’t easy to implement that in a reliable method, so I’ve decided to not try to implement it. (This also wouldn’t be possible to control from Heimdall, it would have to be done in the Ring Security app.

Thanks for the clarification, I saw Heimdall on top in the keypad settings so I assumed Heimdall was controlling it. So the only option would be to have something like a ‘then’ card which enabled/disables the useProximity option I guess. Other thought; is the keypad able to send out a notification to Homey when there’s a proximity reading? So it would be possible to use the keypad as a PIR?

On newer firmware versions that would be possible, but would require enabling the proximity detection which in turn will cause the freezing again so that is not something I will implement.

I tried a few ‘tutorials’, installed the app and the Modus device. But that is where it ends for me. When I go into settings it is empty except for how much power it uses?

I guess you tried the device’s settings, please use the app’s settings.