Groups Plugin not working anymore, how create light groups now

How can i create a light group now, the groups addon isnt working propertly anymore.

Hi Tim, and welcome to the Homey forum,

When you want (quick) help, try to provide as much info as possible, and use the correct app names, thanks. Some brands have 6 apps available for instanceā€¦

What app are you referring to, is it the < group > app: https://community.homey.app/t/app-pro-group-3-2-4-stable/3168 ?

If yes, what isnā€™t working properly you think? Did you read the manual (as linked above here) and tried all options first?

Yes this is the App i mean, it doesnt control the lights in the group correct anymore, some lights are missing, repair is not working. As far as i understand, this problem is known and the dev seems to dont have interest to solve it.

So i need another way to group lights.

Ah i see. I didnā€™t know yet there were unresolved bugs.
The dev is unhappy about Athom at the moment, maybe emotions fade and maybe the app will get some love at some day. Just be patient.

I just installed it, and made a group with 3 RGBW lights, and it does what I tell it to do manually and in a flow. No problemsā€¦
Can you describe the issue(s) you encounter?

Another very nice way of grouping devices, is using a device called AVD, advanced virtual device. Itā€™s part of the cool Device Capabilities app.

Hereā€™s an AVD group device of 2 energy devices, which sums (other calculations available) the energy values on the fly

Of course this can be done also with lights, like this, with three dimable lights
When you copy these settings (but pick your own lights of course), it should work right away:

This is the group of lights as one ā€œgroupā€ device:

Screenshot from 2024-08-19 02-05-11

Screenshot from 2024-08-19 02-05-31

4 Likes

Problems with the group app can often be solved by restarting the app by itself, it tends to get lost when the Homey is restarted, I always need to restart the app after a firmware update for instance. That said, nowadays I mostly use zones for controlling lights except for when I need a toggle action which is missing in zone.

Thank you for that, seems to be not bad. But i dont get the color of the light to work, with the hue lamps.

Thanks for sharing Peter, grouping might be nice usecase, didnā€™t know about that one ! :+1: :+1:
Maybe itā€™s worth to mention that Athom is working on grouping capabilities as well but nobody knows yet how that will look like :wink: Do you know what would happen if device got deleted ? Eg. if device would report itself as broken ?

@TimTaylor , is working for me, there are some side-effects but it works. Also depends on which kind of groups you are using, if you are using standard capabilities or eg. OTHER - Blended, Fused, United etc.

1 Like

Hue is a bit odd when it comes to color settings.
Maybe the developer can figure out whatā€™s going on. You can post your issues here:
https://community.homey.app/t/app-pro-advanced-virtual-device-device-capabilities-app-with-unique-text-status-indicator/68198

_
@Sharkys YW!

Iā€™ve read about that as well, but soonā„¢ can mean a few months, or even a few years :yawning_face::face_with_peeking_eye:

You can use the ā€œExcludeā€ field for those situations.
So when a device becomes unavailable, it gets excluded from grouped commands and listeners after [xxx] seconds.
I think 5 or 10 minutes will be a good start.

I didnā€™t run tests yet with unavailable / available and deleted / re-added devices.

2 Likes

I just did, it will silently disappear and AVD works without issues,maybe possible improvement for Arie, lets see :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also I guess when you delete an AVD ā€œgroup memberā€ device from Homey, and you re-add it again, it will not appear in the AVD group again automatically, because the device has a new device ID.

But this will most probably also be the case with < group > app group devices.

Well yes and no - complaons about device it canā€™t control as Warning, while AVD unfortunately is silent , which makes future maintamce harder ā€¦ but thats just small thing, surprisingly itā€™s more faster and more reliable than ā€¦ ā€œtesting in progressā€

1 Like

I see!
Iā€™m sure Arie can create some kind of indicator, like a flow trigger, when a groupā€™s device becomes unavailable?
You can request for it here
https://bitbucket.org/QlusterIT/nl.qluster-it.devicecapabilities/issues?status=new&status=open

1 Like