Google home --> Homey Pro? What is the cleanest solution for this process?

Philips hue lights are linked to google home aswell as some other stuff in my kitchen.
Before I sync all my devices. Given that Homey Pro can work localy without internet, is it better to have philips hue connected strait to my Homey pro and delete all hue lights from my google home?
What about other devices chromecast etc? Is it better to have them removed from google home, and rather connect each unit directly to homey? This avoids the duplicate issue.
Do i miss out on any functions by doing so?
I assume that connecting google home to homey, will allow me to use voice commands to control everything trough homey, using google units like the speakers even if they speakers and lights are not connected to google home app?

Any clear answers on this would be much appreciated!

This is the answer I got from Co-pilot AI

1. Syncing Google Home with Homey:
  • This allows you to control all your smart devices, including Philips Hue, through the Google Home app.
  • You can use voice commands via Google Assistant to control devices connected to Homey.
  • It provides a centralized platform for managing your smart home devices.
  1. Connecting Philips Hue Directly to Homey:
  • By adding Philips Hue devices directly to Homey, you may have more direct control over the devices and more automation options within the Homey ecosystem.
  • This setup can reduce the dependency on Google Home as a middleman, which might be beneficial if you prefer using Homey’s interface or if you’re concerned about privacy.
  • It simplifies the setup by having one less service (Google Home) to manage and troubleshoot.

Pros of Syncing with Google Home:

• Unified control of all smart devices through one app.
  • Convenience of using Google Assistant for voice commands.

Cons of Syncing with Google Home:

• Potential for more complex troubleshooting if issues arise with the sync.
  • Possible latency or limitations in control due to the additional layer of integration.

Pros of Direct Connection to Homey:

• Potentially faster response times and more reliable control.
  • Direct access to Homey’s advanced automation features.

Cons of Direct Connection to Homey:

• Loss of unified control through the Google Home app.
  • Inability to use Google Assistant for voice commands for Philips Hue (unless you also keep the Hue-Google link

A second answer from co-pilot
Yes, if you connect your Philips Hue and Google devices directly to Homey, Homey will still be able to recognize and utilize voice commands given to your Google Home units like the speakers. Here’s how it works:

1. Add Google Assistant to Homey:
  • By adding Google Assistant as a device in Homey, you enable Homey to process voice commands given to Google Assistant-enabled devices.
  1. Voice Command Flow:
  • When you speak to your Google Home speakers, the voice command is processed by Google Assistant.
  • If you have set up Google Assistant within Homey, the command is then communicated to Homey.
  • Homey executes the command with the connected devices, such as Philips Hue lights.
  1. Direct Control:
  • This setup allows you to control your Philips Hue lights directly through Homey while still using the convenience of voice commands via Google Home speakers.

Note: Ensure that you have configured the voice commands and routines within the Google Home app to work seamlessly with Homey. This way, you can maintain the voice control aspect of your smart home setup while centralizing device management within Homey.

By integrating your devices directly with Homey and setting up voice command recognition through Google Assistant, you get the best of both worlds: centralized control and the convenience of voice interaction. Just make sure to check for any specific settings or configurations required in the Homey app to ensure smooth operation.
Any thoughts?

I don’t get it, sorry.
Do you want Ai to answer, or do you like answers from users who found out what does, and what doesn’t work?

I thought I’d list what the AI said, and it be interesting to know if that was what users have chosen to do and suggest.
But ofc I want to hear from users

Hi Aleksander,

I’m not going to respond much to what Ai has found in marketing articles :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think it’s more about what you prefer, and if you think using Ghome as ‘backup system’ makes sense.

I prefer to keep the supported brands in Ghome.
In case Homey has an off-day, you can still operate those devices per Ghome app or voice cmd.

A one time time consuming part:
While Homey syncs all Ghome supported devices (so, not like Ai said: all of your smart devices), I moved all double devices (the ones from Homey) to a second Ghome, called “Not Used” or what you like.
There’s no way to disable/hide double entries in Ghome, and @ Homey, it’s impossible to sync only a selection.

About Homey without internet:
It’s true it can run its programs like a black box without internet.
But you can’t manage it, so imho it’s pretty useless in daily life.
Ghome voice commands need the cloud/internet to process your voice.
So AFAIK you can’t use Ghome voice cmd + Homey without internet.

If “local only” is important to you, you can consider Home Assistant. It has it’s own voice command integration, and both can run and be managed from your local network

I have them both paired to Ghome and Homey.
Because f.e. I can’t start Spotify on Google devices from Homey.
But, it is possible by using a Homey virtual switch to start a Ghome routine, which starts a playlist.

Yes and yes.
You can control a z-wave light paired to Homey, by voice or Ghome app.

mhhmm, you missed some AI providers, maybe they give a different advise…
dont get me wrong, i like the potential of AI, but reading above is like that somebody is adding search results to his own questions as answers… it is a bit weird.