[FAQ][Advanced Flow] Infinite canvas. Infinite creativity

If you only do “simple” things like “when this happens and this is true, then do this” you are fine with basic flows.

But if you want to do “if A or B happens and B is true then do C, but if D is true instead do E, or if F instead is true then do C and E…”, i.e. multinested if-else advanced flows makes life easier. Multi-if-else will need you to create flows calling flows calling flows. Absolutely do-able and works well but harder to get an overview of.

One other thing is that you can check for error of cards.

There are other benefits but this was two examples.

I think there are flow cards only present in advanced flows?

Eg. if you will look on DC - Device Capabilities App for Homey | Homey, this is no go without Advanced Flows. And much much more - over the time, instead of maintaining 10 simple flows, I’m rewriting them to AF, even I’m loosing possibility to edit from phone. So now I have use cases for additional monitoring of my photovoltaic system, dynamic management of my EV charger based on the home total consumption, unsupported stove controlled via MQTT as one device etc…

To me another huge advantage is being able to organize all related flows much better by putting them together on one advanced flow canvas. For example I only have acouple of advanced flows, for example “Lights” which contains all light related flows in sections like On and Off. This provides a way better overview compared with a huge list of separate standard flows!

The only drawback right now is that it is not possible to edit flows on mobile, especially for small tweaks or checks. Hopelully at least a basic version of this this will come for mobile soon though.

Something that’s only possible in AF:
If a THEN card provides a result token, you can use it in the next THEN card as input token to mack logic checks or read entries from a WebRequest result JSON.
And you can react on error thriwn by a flow card.
That depends on the possibilities of the flow cards and used apps.

Emile presented such benefits in the live stream.

But for 12,50 you can’t do anything wrong. You will ask yourself how you could live without yet :wink:

To be honest, for all it costs itis worth it IMO. The canvas provides a far superior way to visualise what is going on. Doesn’t work via the phone app but that isn’t a big issue. I hope the phone app will change and not be where flows are created and edited

thanks for the explanations and examples everyone. I’ve decided that I don’t need advanced flows for the time being. If I ever need it in the future, $25 isn’t too expensive anyway. I’m also considering getting the new homey pro and that would come with advanced flows.

1 Like

I also like advanced flow! Very efficient way to use the Homey. Is it true that even if you want to disable an advanced flow you need a laptop?

That is a lie…

Thx!

Only in part.
When I “click” the gear on my iPad, nothing happens. The “Advanced Settings” menu does not open! This has been the case since the launch of AF.
With my iPhone it works.

iPad Pro 10,5 "
iOS 16.2
Homey App version 6.11.9.1024

Created a Ticket for Athom support?

I.m.o. the statement of Jean_S

just isn’t true… not even partial… that’s what he asked. thats what I said.
It is also not true that the software is bugfree… or that is behaves on all Mobile platforms of screen sizes exactly the same.

I was not aware of this bug yet.

Nope.
With the new Test-Flight version v6.11.11.1036 still the same “problem”
Btw, for me that’s not really a problem. There are problems that play a greater role for me, which I then also report to Athom. But I will open a ticket.

I created last week a ticket with this problem to Athom.
They have asked me if the problem still excists if i ad a Start button to the flow. I have tried that and still i can not disable or enable a flow.
I have answerd this tonight to Athom.

I have a Samsung S9+ phone with Android 10 and with that device i can disable and enable a advanced flow.
I also have a Samsung Tab S7+ and with that device i an not disable or enable a advanced flow.
The Tab S7+ is on Android 13.

I have a Samsung phone on Android 13 and no problems.
So perhaps a Tab specific issue?

@RonnyW I have no idea. I have only one Tab S7+ so i can not try it with another one.

Now also for Homey (Subscription)