Duplicate power measurements

Hello everyone,

I hope you’re all doing well! I’ve been tinkering with my smart home setup recently, and I’ve run into an interesting challenge that I’m hoping some of you might have some insights on.

Here’s the scenario: I have a device that reports its own power usage, but it’s also part of an electrical circuit that is monitored by a Shelly Pro 3EM sensor located in my fuse box. As a result, I think I’m getting duplicate power measurements for this device.

I’m wondering how others in the community have dealt with similar situations. Are there any best practices or specific strategies you’ve employed to reconcile these duplicate readings?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences.

Hi Lucas,

For certain devices, you can include or exclude the power measures via device settings:

For Shelly specific questions, please look for the relevant app topic and post your questions there. You can find those links at the bottom of the app store app page.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for reaching out. I’ve been using Shelly devices to track my house’s total power usage, and they’ve been working great. I don’t have any specific questions about Shelly at the moment.

The reason I’m posting here is because I couldn’t find any relevant information on the forum. Maybe I didn’t search thoroughly enough.

I vaguely remember something like being able to assign a device as a total of a zone and that you used to be able to exclude any device from the total. However, currently, I can only exclude the power meter for my entire house from the total, and even that setting doesn’t persist :smiling_face_with_tear:

Right now, it seems like what I’m trying to do might not be fully achievable in Homey, but I’m still hopeful. Any suggestions you have would be much appreciated!

Which device is it exactly? Name and type?

As far as I know it’s only possible to remove or add devices with the capabilities meter_, i.e. meter_power, meter_water, meter_gas and meter_rain from the total consumption.
Devices that have the capability measure_ (e.g. measure_power, measure_water etc.) like a smart plug, show the corresponding value, but these values are not added to the total value/consumption.

It works fine for me, but I don’t use a Shelly 3M, instead I use a Qubino 3-phase smart meter. I also have a Tibber Pulse installed for testing purposes. The values from the Tibber Pulse are not added to the total consumption, as I have deactivated this function. Even my tiny PV system is correctly included. So everything works exactly as it should.
So maybe it’s a specific problem with the Shelly 3M after all?

Turns out it was something else entirely!

I recently switched to triple-phase power and there was an edge-case in the DSMR reader I used to publish this data to Homey. This was the root cause of my confusion :upside_down_face:

@DirkG thanks for clarifying how this works!