Controlling (on/off) main breaker with any protocol? (z-wave, zigbee, wifi)

who said there had to be a fire?

Learn to read thenā€¦

I suggest a three-pole contactor. You can control it with, for example, fibaro switch model noFGS-212

1 Like

Hi,

I use a 60 Amp normally closed 220v relay connected to a Fibaro 8 amp relay switch for main breaker, and 2x 20 amp normally closed relays connected to fibaro double relay switch for turning off my two water heaters.

Works perfect!

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t dare to trust Homey with any security issues, the functionality is too insecure!

1 Like

Don`t agree on that point, my experience running general security on Homey is better than any system I ever had, with endless possibilities! I admit staying away from zigbee, except Hue, have no problems with either wifi, z-wave or bluetooth protocols.

I find Vera having a safer action than Homey. All Homey connected switches works normally ok, but sometimes they are off in the gui but still the light is on. Vera gave a warning when they have lost contact with the switch. All Z-wave movement detectors (Aeotec and Fibaro) reports are happenings that happens now and then - no indication that it they have a communication error like Vera had. I also have 3 cheap Chinese ZigBee detectors Aqara (relayed by 1 INNR) plug in switch that works the best. Looking at the z-wave mess(h) routing I understand why there are problems.

Iā€™m ok with that you donā€™t care about your own security. So far I havenā€™t found any unit for private people that I trust enough but Homey is among the funniest toys as long as you can watch it and correct its failures. By the way Iā€™m on a 100/100 fiber.

when combined with IFTTT it could theoretically work

yes, that is interesting, checking that outā€¦

It has china version of CE. Sonoff also does not have CE and is used a lot. I have had several CE certified devices, especially from gamma that had caused fire running within specs. I never had issues with the china certified stuff. https://nl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE-markering here you can read that it is total crap this whole CE certification. Iā€™m a professional chief electric engineer / installer for 26 yrs, i asume i know a thing or 2 about electric stuff.

The fibaro fgs-221 can run on 24v battery , combined with a 24v car usb plug for homey and a NC relais this can work as emergency kit. Still need a modem/router adapter as well. Still i would not advice it and i dont see any advantage in it. Please enlighten me.

Same here, vera is a lot more reliable. Its also used in hospitals abroad, so if they are ok with it, it should do.
I experience a lot of the same issues with homey that the first version of vera had back when it was called micasaverde. Seeing that roadmap, homey still has a long way to go. Nevertheless its fun to play with this stuff. Security-wise i take vera over homey , but homey is getting there so one day it be good. I have 1000/1000mbit fiber (1gbit yes), still no faster response though :smiley:

Hope u have some time to spare.

Sure, i spend years on vera and the outlook of homey looked promising. Some parts a bit too promising to make it happen in reality, but i figured that. As for now itā€™s my toy and i hope someday weā€™ll get the real deal AI computerstuff like in the movies. So far it got a long way since C64 had some synthesized speech and switching relais. Hope to still be alive by then ^^

1 Like

Actually, on many older instalations a little less dramatic solution is: Use any kind of relay creating a small earth fault, lets say 0,5 A would shut of mains

Most Sonoff devices have actual CE certification, Google for the certificates.

I just hope your insurance accepts ā€œchina version of CEā€-certified devices when it turns out the device caused damage or fire.

Since I have been working on certifying products according the CE rules. EU CE is not a warranty for safety, it is the seller that is responsible that the product it follow the EU CE rules (not the manufacturer). Example is that CE states that manual and menus shall be in the users/sellers countryā€™s own language. I have bought a number of electronic products i Sweden that only has English/German/French/Spanish manuals and menus.

The Chinese CE looks different although easy to mistake for the EU and has other rules than the EU CE. Still it is the importer/seller that bear the full responsibility that the product is safe. This means that if you buy something from China it is your responsibility to make sure that the product is safe, no matter what the seller claims, you have purchased them under Chinese law and the EU regulations are not valid in China.

2 Likes

indeed. Itā€™s just a matter of using it and see if it keeps working, no certification is going to be safe 100% .
I have several fibaro device that should have 6A circuitbreakers for each device, like in germany or poland. These are not installed under their terms and as such in case of waranty you get zip, also not from insurance company. Nevertheless i used these on 16A circuitbreakers and some installed in such way that fibaro strongly disadvice to do it this way. I have them since day 1 that they are on the market, several years now and i never had any problem or overheating/failures. It has CE and other certs but this means nothing in terms of safety. Same with sonoff which are actually designed for 16A breakers, no failure since day 1. I did have problems with Gamma installation material and these are CE and certified for use in netherlands, some even catched fire. So yeah i rather look at reallife performance instead of bullcrap tests and certifications.

Caseda is wrong, breakers do exist within the tuya environment. The question is will you risk uncertified chinese hardware in your fusebox

Example?