Button + (Release 0.5.5, Test 0.5.9)

I would be happy to provide a Dutch translation, @Adrian_Rockall

2 Likes

That would be great, thank you.
Are you OK with GitHub and pull requests or do you need a list of texts?

Iā€™ll PM you, @Adrian_Rockall

Also happy to help

Hi,
Would it be possible to adjust the brightness of the button+ (display and / or button displays) directly via the homey app?
Or change these via the buttons?

2 Likes

I will investigate.

2 Likes

Currently, the display brightness is part of the Configuration, so I can add something via that. However, I wonder if it might be better to created MQTT events for them so it is more efficient. Maybe then it would be possible to hook up a lux sensor in the room to control the brightness.
My thoughts are to add brightness controls to the Homey device that feed the MQTT entries and they would be available via flows just like any other dim capability.
At the moment the only way to control the brightness of the LEDs is by adjusting the RGB values, but I am also wondering if I should suggest a brightness property is added to the firmware for them as well. There is no separate brightness control in hardware, so they would only adjust the RGB values just the same as we can currently can, but it might make it easier to implement an auto brightness feature with another lux sensor as I described for the display. On the prototype unit I have, the LEDs are very bright, but they donā€™t have any kind off cover over them, so maybe on the production units that will be more diffused.

So anyone have thoughts on any of that?

2 Likes

What are peoples opinion about the simulator driver in the app going forward?
If I remove it, I think the app memory usage could reduce as I can use a small network package. I currently use Axios with a cookie store library. That makes the login process to the simulator easier but they are relatively large packages. If I remove it I could use the native Node.js http library which is much smaller.
While people are waiting for the hardware to arrive, the simulator is a great way to see how the app works, so it has a definite benefit for try-before-you-buy. But once you have the device(s) would you still want to play with the simulator?

I Agree on this.

Sounds like the proper way to go.

When the devices have arrived, the simulator has no use anymore in my opinion. I even donā€™t use it anymore on this moment, because functionality is not 100% so I donā€™t want to spend to much time on it. Just waiting for the real thing :grin:

2 Likes

Would it be an option to create 2 apps? One with and one without the simulation? Or a separate app only for the simulation?

That probably would be possible if Athom accept two apps. The advantage of one app is the configurations that are created in the simulator can be applied to the hardware. So you could use the simulator to experiment with configurations before deploying to hardware. If they are separate apps then thatā€™s not possible.

2 Likes

Good morning,

To begin, thank you for your work on this device.

For my part, no test on the simulator, I am waiting for the product to be delivered to be able to test it.

3 Likes

Hello Adrian,

Thanks for looking at the brightness, some solution will come up. Controlling via MQTT is also a solution, but a bit too complicated for me (I havenā€™t worked on it much yet).
Testing via the simulator is not necessary for me either. directly on the device itself seems more interesting to me.

1 Like

I have added the brightness for the large display, mini display and LEDs as separate dimmer controls, including Flow cards. I have added the brightness MQTT feature to the Button + firmware to support it. Ronald has assured me the changes I have made will make it to the first batch so fingers crossed.

4 Likes

looking forward to deliveries

1 Like

The app has been accepted and is now live.
I have removed the simulator support to simplify the app, so I hope that doesnā€™t disappoint anyone that was using it.

Obviously, I will still keep adding features that are requested, so this is just the new beginning and not the end of development.

Now we just have to wait for the hardware to arrive.

6 Likes

Bringing the app live, informed about the existence of this device. Ordered one immediately.

1 Like

@Adrian_Rockall, really great work, you have probablly thought about all possible use cases and have implemented them well thought through. Looking now forward to get the device and thinking about even buying moreā€¦

1 Like

when I try to add a device I get this

what is the problem here, i canā€™t find it

I removed the simulator for the release, so it will only work with the hardware.