Athom's Decision for Mobile First and removing of the Desktop Interface/WEB UI in Homey v2.0.0

It’s not about home automation for the elderly or disabled. I have not mentioned home automation for the elderly or disabled. You do understand what I write, yes? And I have no recollection of blasting Athom for not “focusing on the elderly”. Are you imagining things?

And I have made no such claim. Is my English really that hard to understand?

It’s happening right now. With or without you being aware of it.

No, of course your opinions are just as valid as other peoples knowledge.

Gonna draw a line here again. Plz use the topics for what they are made for, not for personal discussions. Best do the rest of ur discussion in a PM.

6 Likes

Well the new app seems fine, but no destop app!!! A phone is not a good for defining more complex scenarios. And yes it works on a tablet but no better than on a phone, it is only an iPhone app. :crazy_face: Really sad.

1 Like

Worst of all, i’m still running on V1.53. Athom apps or most of them are no longer running on 1.53. They pushing the users to V2

1 Like

That was Athom’s plan from the beginning: When the new app is finished and Homey v2.0 is released, the old app will then no longer be maintained. :

But the next sentence, ok said 1.5 years ago when the world was young :slight_smile: The new app will initially support smartphones, and later on tablet devices and iPads.

Is roadmap for Homey V3.0 already available? I guess Athom will create their own homeyphone based on a propriety OS; ditches support for ios and android, and happily tells you that your favorite HA supplier offers this great new briljant phone that can operate the homey device!

Just kidding, but again, just a smartphone app is not enough. It is not that elder people still use a plain old typewriter and send messages via the physical snail mail postman. I see many youngsters playing around with a smartphone when they are ‘outside’. But when possible I see them behind a laptop or desktop screens using whatsapp web (because creating messages with a laptop is so much faster and easier) of looking netflix (the bigger screen is so much nicer to look at).

Thinking smartphones is all there is just plain ignorant. And if they play it clever they don’t even have to develop a desktop or web app themselves. Just a bit of publicity, sample code and ad hoc support here and there would probably enough for community members to develop a good non-smartphone application. I also wrked with getting community members building apps for homey itself…

I am assuming your not being facetious. Its a little early for a v3 road map, they have however mentioned what we can expect from the next couple of version.

• System Flow Cards (from github)
  • Wifi Setup
  • Back up and Restore
  • Share a flow
  • Cameras
  • Inbuilt count down timers.
  • Tablet?

This ‘road map’ is over 6 months old and has likely changed, but ti gives you a general idea. You can read more about it here.

How about v1.6 with Bluetooth Audio and many Music improvements.

March 2018 they announced Music would be stopped (as well as development for the internal speaker):

This ride was fun while it lasted. And I’ve only been using V2 for 2 days. I guess there is a camp that loves V2 and it’s limitations and the promise of what it can become. But honestly right now it isn’t, it is just broken.

Release v2 broke my heart :broken_heart:

P.S. Homey, I’m not in love with you anymore, it’s not you it’s me… :beers:

4 Likes

Haha, you bring some humor to the conversation, so:

3 Likes

:smile:
Reading this is somewhere between fun and a pity.

With all the professional knowhow, cutting-edge user experience and clever strategic approaches we had to see from Athom, this is going to happen pretty soon this year… it’s 2024, isn’t it? :wink:

Unfortunately: … announcing „new devices“ w/ minor changes for more money is one of the very first signs of resignation in a market of substitutes, as these mechanisms are the ones you pull out the last…

But hey - who am I to dare… perhaps I will get pretty surprised and Athom will acquire Homee soon, embed EnOcean and build an Interface that’s way beyond all expectations?! :wink: :blush:

Staying curious Athom ! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Will never upgrade to v2 still running v1.5 as i hate to sit with a phone in my hand to make flows.

Sorry to say but the developer at Athom did not ask the users what they preferred and was only looking in to what was fancy and hot today and that´s smart phones.
And all have them but not all have a good vision and some have a handicap that limits them for the use of a smart phone.
Also lots of users are over 50+ and are not use to this smart era so that´s why i will not upgrade.
Also when the day come when i can not use the web UI any more that day i will use my homey as a bowling ball in my local bowling alley :slight_smile:

For all of you how want a Web Ui back to your homey we all need to shout out and tell what we want.
Started this today so head over and get your voice heard.
Tell Athom that you want the Web Ui back

4 Likes

I am pretty sure that when Athom set up a community forum and pay for it, they also harvest the customer insights it gives!

I am 100% sure Athom read these threads. Especially the negative ones about 2.0. They know now that they screwed up. They read what we write for sure. But they also remain silent because they know that even a small burp and there will be 20 more angry responses. I am sure they are in crisis mode now.

I think it is fair that we customers voice our opinion and that many are allowed to post “me too” messages. But we should also respect to do it on the few threads that addresses this so that people can still search for solutions to problems in all the other threads.

7 Likes

Ur right. It can be seen on the homee forum in germany. Developers are active in forum. If they say something they get 20 Responses.

Next Thing. Is athom in crisis? I font think so. Hard to believe? We already paid. We dont give any income for athom. We are Not useful anymore. Only weapon on Our side is influence. But i dont think that athom thinks that this forum Haß much influence in New customers.
They use the community for testing and developing theire product. To get a cheap Support because most Problems get solved by the community.
Remember. We dont produce income anymore. We are unimportant

Thats untill they start a service program with in-app purchases for cloud service, flow-backup etc…

mark my words…

And that is the bad thing for companies:
Social Media happens. Whether you’re dealing w/ it or not.
And to not do so is definitely strategically a bad decision. Personally I cannot see Athom in 12 - 18 months anymore; it took almost 2 years to create v2 and half of the things they promised are missing, the rest is unstable, covered by an already outdated design.

Sorry for those harsh words, but if you cannot face the customers and put their needs central, then you simply will pushed out of the market.

1 Like

Well, I know at least 5 homes that will certainly NOT go for homey because I (as a kickstarter backer) told them so for the lack of proper desktop/webinterface support

1 Like

a lot of young businesses forget the old rule of thumb.

1 happy client tells 10 friends
1 unhappy client tells 30 friends

So it takes a lot to make up for ones mistakes. And one loose a lot by pissing off the existing users. And with the internet I think the 1 unhappy rule has grown to 1 tells 100.

I find the new app OK - but not even a close or worthy replacement for a desktop editor. And to move more stuff onto the cloud like insight charts - is not my cup of tea. At least I should be able to tell the system where to put my data.

Then there are the pure architectural issues I can’t understand. I DO understand the sandbox - but I do not understand that standard sensors each need their own drivers - and therefore their own sandbox. That just slows down things.

To fix the problem Athom then makes a “Pro Homey” and does not redesign the basic device interface…?"

There is no logic reason standard sensors like Fibaro, Aeotec etc should not reside in the same drivertype/single sandbox. There is NO reason to individually sandbox drivers coming from the official source (Athom). Sandboxing is something you do to protect from malicious code or code abusing the system (like putting heavy loads on - slowing down the rest) - But now everything is sandboxed for every device manufacture. It is a complete waste of (already scarce) resources.

So all basic “433 MHz” switch devices/drivers should just reside in ONE driver with “device” selection setting communications types. All “generic” standard Fibaro,Qubino & Aeotec etc. in another “driver” if they need to be sandboxed. Or “separate extensible trusted drivers” supplied by Athom.

So in a typical home you would then end up with 3-5 main app’s from Athom in a SINGLE sandbox.
And then really “hard” sandbox everything individually from 3rd parties who are NOT Athom.

But now even the smallest app takes huge amounts of resources.

Anyway - Athom can do as they want - it is their platform. But from a SW / HW development perspective the “theoretical” ideas wore great but just like communism and dictatorships - they are great in theoretical debates but unusable in real life.

210 Signatures this morning and we hope for more this campaign will go on and i rely hope we together stand strong.
So hit the link and signup today!
Tell Athom that you want the Web Ui back