Ask Me Anything

Hi, zal er nog verdere ondersteuning voor ELRO Connects toegevoegd worden? Kan nu mijn ELRO rookmelders niet koppelen met Homey aangezien de app deze niet ondersteund.

Hi,

I have a question about the MilIght app, it was such a great app but it needs to get support for the Miboxer controller they have right now. Its been 2 years.

Can you please put this on the “todo list” :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks!

1 Like

This AMA is a great initiative!

Q1: Can we have these more often? Especially since Athom is considered rather unresponsive to certain topics and developments by a lot of community members…

Q2: Though the Homey Web App had been developed, Homey still lacks a real good dashboard, which drives a lot of users towards Home Assistant or NodeRed. What are Athoms plans in providing a real functional dashboard to control your home from?

5 Likes

Hi… Athom

I just have a quick question regarding Apple HomeKit connectivity and support.

After all these years Homey Pro still doesn’t have “offical” support for HomeKit, like what Google Home and Amazon do…

Its still buried in the experiment section. There is a 3rd party HomeKit app but it’s not supported by the developer anymore and (like the Athom experimental version) hasn’t had any updates for years. Both seem to be abandonware.

Does Athom intend to update Homekit support and also make it a proper “offical” feature in Homey Pro.?

For a lot of potential buyers having connectivity to their mobile devices and smart speakers is a big decider for them. This can greatly influence wether they buy a Homey Pro or not. In all of your marketing material (YouTube etc etc) you only ever mention Google and Alexa support. Most viewers will assume that Homey doesn’t have HomeKit support as it’s never mentioned in any of your videos.

Athom must be losing a lot of potential sales from this, especially in the American market. There are literally millions and millions of IOS users out there. It has a huge user base.

It would be great to know that HomeKit support is always going to be up to date and work smoothly and correctly…

Thanks Russ.

4 Likes

Is there any plan to implement EnOcean?

I posted these on slack the other day - but for others -

• i’ve always wondered about the choice between USBC vs Micro USB, is it a cost thing and if so - is it significant.
  • Are there plans for an upgrade discount program for people who decide to switch from bridge → pro
  • Whats the purpose of the $99 developer fee, its a pretty big investment for any company to invest a developer(s) to create an offical app so what is the purpose of charging (a company like Signify / Apple / Aoetc ) $99, what does this allow Athom to now do which you would not be able to do otherwise?
  • While you do not comment on ‘timeframes’ would you be willing to comment on the roll out roadmap sequence. (EU beta → EU → US beta → AU → US ) etc?
  • What is the marketing name for the “non Pro” (aka v1) Homey Pro? To differentiate it from the Homey Pro … Pro.
  • On the support page there is direction on how to add a bridge to an app which already has a PRO. How will these two devices work together (or not) in the same app?
  • Can a community developer pay the $99 in order to get a (driver) app (using offical api etc) certified for use on the bridge?
  • Now that there is a more ‘accessible’ version of Homey, which is … locked down pretty hard. Do you see this allowing the Pro Homey to be opened up ‘more’ (ie. app brand restrictions have been loosen already) and if what areas could you see this affecting?
  • The bridge (to me) has a pretty good build quality, it feels more solid then the Pro. What improvements have you ‘invested in’ and why on a ‘cheaper’ device?
  • I turned the device upside down but nothing happened … Was removing that sensor a cost choice or a UX choice?

If there was a single question I could have answered it would be : On the support page there is direction on how to add a bridge to an app which already has a PRO. How will these two devices work together (or not) in the same app?

3 Likes

Thanks for this great initiative. Sorry for being the pain in the ass, @Emile and Alex Just triggering! :slight_smile: Big Homey fan here.

Would definately change thoughts with you about a dashboard functionality. How’s your coffee? :coffee::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You were heard, Henk. And you’re famous now :beers::wink:
And I get my IR base for the Pro [Soon] :upside_down_face:
Very nice!

1 Like

Did they answer this question in the live stream?

You can still watch it Homey Ask Me Anything - YouTube

I’d like to know if we’ll see a Homey Pro refresh that looks like the Bridge. Either circular, or more like Mac Mini Space Grey.

Would also be nice with wired LAN and no Wifi, let Zigbee be the only 2.4 device.

Maybe also a USB port that can be used with a power brick, as a UPS.

1 Like

All your questions where answered in the session.

Awesome, will watch it tonight.
Thanks!

Great to see they got your questions Henk, and also Pete…

Was happy they also got mine to regarding HomeKit support.

After all this time is good to finally know what the deal is with Homekit and at least now know why it’s not supported. If they had informed the community years ago that its due to Apple, (not them) then it would of saved a lot of grief, worry and unnecessary resentment.

As a company hopefully Athom have started to realise that they really need to communicate and interact with their user base rather than do the “sit in an Ivory tower” approach they’ve done up until now and openly start communicating with their own user’s and customers…

From the video it sounded like they want to do more of these Q & A sessions. If so that’s fantastic… I think every 3 months or so would probably be ok…

Maybe Athom are starting to turn a leaf… :smiley:. Fingers crossed., :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Setting up Homey Pro as both a security system (Fire and burglary protection) and a smart Home, we need a system that can handle large number of devices. With the very limited number of Zigbee devices supported by Homey Pro, we need more zigbee hub`s that can be connect into Homey and by that be able to handle more Zigbee products. Today we have done the integration of the IKEA Trådfri gateway which is a great approach to solving the big limitation to Zigbee devices.

With this in mind, please also add support for the Aqara G2H Camera, which is booth a Camera and a Aqara hub.

I bought a homey bridge, the issue are that I can’t install any apps on the bridge, I can search for the apps I can press install, and it looks like it’s installing, but nothing are being installed, it’s the same from the web interface.

And I’m in the beta program. :wink:

Can you give some pointers on that?

Peter

Additional info: Homey (cloud / bridge version), a selection of available apps (WIKI)