[APP][Pro] Power by the Hour: Insights per hour, day, month and year

It looks like the strategy wants to discharge completely, before charging? My Sessy always is on 1% after complete discharge (discharge to 0% and goes back to 1% after couple of minutes, same after complete charge 100% and to 99% after couple of minutes). This way the battery wouldn’t charge this night, while there were a lot of hours with low price (round 17 cents). I could see in JSON it wanted to discharge at low power for a few minutes at 17:00.

Suggestion: use low prices for charge, and high prices for discharge, based on what comes first, even if battery isn’t completely full/empty. Calculate needed charge/discharge energy based on (estimate of) how full the battery is.

Now battery is full (using my own charge flow), i can see the strategy for discharging in the json. That looks good. Two highest hours at higher power and two following hours with lower price at lower power.
Is it correct the strategy only uses the three power levels from advanced settings? Nothing in between?

No, it shouldnt by default. It optimizes profit. Only If profit is higher when discharging first, it will discharge.

It also takes the energy losses into account, not just the price difference you set. Actually it is not using the setting as a price difference, but as a cost factor to charge+discharge 1kWh. You should set it a bit lower then what you were used to before. What value did you set?

It should already do that. Again: profit is what is optimized. It will take the actual SoC and minute of the current hour as starting point.

As a basis yes. But it can combine these within an hour (e.g. 40 minutes high load, 20 minutes low load). The proposed power will then be a weighted average.

Maybe a stupid question, but how/where can I read this JSON file?

Ok, good to know.

Ok, so if I only want to take care of efficiency-loss (as defined in the settings), I could set it to 0 cents?

10 eurocents

It’s one of the output tag’s of the cards. You can display it on the timeline, in a push message, log or other more fancy uses (make a graph?)

Correct. I will rephrase the text to ‘with a minimum profit of xx per kWh’.
But normally you would want to at least earn the write off, wich is around 0,10 euro per kWh for Sessy (3500 euro / 6000 cycles lifetime for 5kWh)

3 Likes

Most likely a stupid question which has been answered already, but I cannot find it.

I use Tibber/PBTH to start my smart dishwasher when the power is cheapest. My gf or I fill up the dishwasher and then press a hue smart button, which triggers logic to be set to yes. Starting from
0:00 the next day, it will fire the flow when power is cheapest and logic is yes.

However I would like to know exactly when the power is the most cheap (tomorrow, we always load the dishwasher ~22:00ish), so I know how late it will run. I tried some things but I either think too simple or too complicated. So when I press the button, I want it to tell me: Dishwasher will run tomorrow 03:00.

Cheers!

That is standard available in flows as a tag (search for ‘lowest hour’ or ‘laagste uur’)

You really are amazing!
Thanks for creating this wonderful app!

1 Like

version 6.0.2 is ready for testing: Power by the Hour | Homey

• BAT: Added strategy image.
  • BAT Remove double strategy trigger on price update.
  • BAT: Fetch prices after pair.
  • BAT: Textual updates.
  • DAP: next hours image labels start at current hour.

The (dis)charging strategy is now available as image. You need to set the minimum profit for this image in the device settings. So if you set a different profit in your flows, the image will not represent what happens in your flows.

3 Likes

:heart_eyes: :clap: thx for this bonus (you mean DAP device)

1 Like

I have been running the trial version for two days now.
A few questions.

Is it correct that it always takes the efficient power values ​​now to discharge? When, for example, will it then use the maximum and additional values?

For the efficient values, you have taken the defaults from sessy. If I include the discharge losses, this is less favorable than with the max (4% to 765w) and (7,7% to 1750w)

I dont understand what you mean. What is your question?

No, see my explanation here

I thought that Max Power was ultimately more favorable in terms of discharge loss than in efficient. But this turns out not to be true

1 Like

Oke. Thanks.
I will hopefully experience it in the coming days.

1 Like

About once a day all the devices of PBTH app show red exclamation mark. Restart of app solves this.
Since new test version with the new battery ROI solver, which I’m using.
6131da39-088b-43a5-add5-95cb32630181

yep, have the same here :grimacing: :frowning:

Disabled the flow for now. I’m investigating.

Edit: seems to be a huge memory leak. But I think I traced it. Anyone that has a BATT device will experience app crashes until a new version is released. (SORRY :smirk:)

Edit 2: The memory and CPU issue is intermittent. Still looking how/where to fix it :frowning:

1 Like

@Dennis_Fokkema Many thx for your kind donation. Much appreciated! :heart:

Will this flow actually start charging / discharging the Sessy? Or is an additional “start charging” command required?

Reason for asking is that I tested this flow last 48 hours with a relatively low profit (8 cents) but my Sessy didn’t start charging. I added push messages to my flow and every hour there was an update via push message, but no charging. The power strategy image is telling me that there would be charging activity.

no. It should set the correct power to Sessy and start charge/discharge.

New version 6.0.3 is ready as test: Power by the Hour | Homey

• BAT: Un-deprecated old ROI flow card.
  • New ROI flow cards and strategy graph made optional and EXPERIMENTAL.
  • homey-api@3.4.10

Since on my HP2019 the app crashes with the new strategy, I disabled the functionality by default. You can manually enable it in the device settings.

I’m still investigating why memory usage is so high. It seems that on my HP2023 I have no issue, but need to check this further. HP2019 uses a newer NodeJS version then HP2016/2019, so that is a difference.

1 Like