[APP][Pro] Piggy Bank

Not even once per hour? I cannot find it in the homey app store so I guess it uses the standard z-wave device installation? If you want me to find a solution that suit this device best possible then I will try to accommodate your request.

If you don’t want the app to adjust the temperatures for some devices but adjust it for others I can probably have a switch that let you turn off the temperature control per device and not for all as it is now. Will this solve the problem?

Yes, it is possible right now. Within the “Price control” menu, select the different price points “Normal”, “expensive” and “extreme” and set the action for your water heater to “turn off”. Then for the "cheap price point use “change temp” or “turn on”. Please also make sure that the minimum amount of cheap hours is set sufficiently high.

Yeah, I know that. Not exactly what I had in mind.

I have set my water heater to 65 normal, 85 cheap and 55 expensive.

This is what happened today:
Everyone in the house finished showering for the day, so the temperature in the water heater was all the way down to 39°. Price point happended to be expensive at the time and so it uses alot of energy to get it up to 55. Even though we don’t need any more hot water today.

Of course I could set the temperature for the expensive price point even lower, but my thought is that even in expensive periods there should be enough hot water to take a shower if needed. Unless! I could tell the system there is no need to heat any more water today, and then it could wait until the price point is cheap instead of heating it unnecessarily at a high price point.

You can use the zone-control to instruct piggybank to turn off the zone with the water heater in. Then you can turn the zone on again whenever you want.
In case you want the zone to go automatically on again when it is cheap then the fastest thing I can do to help with that is to expose the internal price point as a trigger, this is a planned addition anyway.

Ok, that sounds like it would work :+1:t2:

I already control them from my flows, and adjust setpoint two-three times a day. So adjustment is possible, but not very often. I could increase the wake-up frequency, but then I have to replace batteries very often.
They can be found in the “Secure Meters” app by Hank de Lang. They are called SRT321 / HRT4-ZW. But you don’t need to implement them for me. I think I already have what I need :slight_smile:

As I see it, there is no problem to solve. I just run these thermostats with my own flows. I think I have enough heaters (checken shed, water heater, workshop, washing room and bedroom) controlled by sparegris to keep me under the magical 5kwh/hour limit.
But thanks anyway.

Did anyone see the new icon
experimental

It means that I can’t guarantee that the app will be able to control this unit. Please help me to resolve any issues these devices have (or if none then great) by pushing the report button and sending me a report for these devices. The faster you report the fewer users will be troubled by any issues and the fewer users will have to wonder what this strange button is. (only one report is needed if you have multiple units of the same type)

(You can find the reporting page under “Help->Supported Units->Troubleshooting->Report a problem” or the direct links that appear on various places when you enable control of such devices)

I saw the Icon, I sent you a report regarding ZM-SingleRelay-16 and FGS-213. These are marked with the new icon in my app.
To me, they seem to work, but I have only used sparegris for a couple of days.
They are both relays, and are not connected to any virtual or other controllable themostat. I just use them to control the water heater and a flooring heater. The flooring heater is connected to an old-fashion bimetal thermostat without any z-vawe interface. The idea is to run these heaters only when price is low and other power usage allows. I use flows to turn the zones with these devices on or off, depending on price.

Any chance you could add a price point for extremely low prices, like the one you already have for extremely high prices?

Thanks, I added them to the supported list for version 0.14.1 using the default relay setting.

Hehe, squeezing the last drop of spare power out of the remaining hourly max, are we?
The reason I did not add the extremely low prices originally was that I was thinking you would try to squeeze everything out of the low prices anyway while not trying to clutter the user interface too much, but if you see an use case for it then sure, why not. So what do you want to call it? Party prices? Happy hour?

Haha, exactly. Didn’t really think I needed it until I saw tomorrow’s prices. A couple of shockingly low hours in the afternoon.
I thought it would be smart to up the heated floors an extra degree or two in those cases.

Ok, so the deadline is before tomorrow afternoon, I got it… :rofl:

Hmmmm… should I add the Gardena garden hose relay to the supported list? If the price is extremely high then you can generate your own electricity from the water inlet :crazy_face:

1 Like

Phew, made it for tomorrow’s happy hour. Dirt cheap prices are now available in version 0.14.3

Impressive. Didn’t expect to actually have the function by tomorrow :joy:

I had a period of high power consumption today. Hours ago. I have a Tibber pulse and use the Tibber app for charting and historical data. But they don’t focus on making it easy to read “hourly max”, though they provide “minute max”. I checked what data I could get from homey insights and Piggy bank. I guess “consumption previous hour” is the best data to chart. But I am still confused if that data is the one I’m looking for. Output seems lower than expected for that hour.

My point being. When you think most of the bugs are sorted and you’re down to knit picking, could you either insert a chart engine in the app, provide another data point for Homey insight or just a tile inside piggy bank insight for showing todays highest hourly consumption?

Elvia is my grid provider, they have a nice chart. But they seem to update it every 24 hours, so I don’t know until tomorrow if I broke the 5k-limit or not. Here’s a screenshot for inspiration:

Lastly I wonder if you see any benefits on letting the user connect Elhub to your app. I don’t know if that’s a big GDPR bonanza or not. That would primarily be for historical data I guess. Just asking if you think it could be value added or not. I’ve read about consumers experiencing discrepancies, getting stipulated consumption instead of actual consumption. Maybe I’m remembering wrong and mix Elhub with the electrical bill… Anyways, having an app that alerts me of discrepancies between measured in Piggy bank and what Elhub deems right seems to me a nice to have, if not just for better error control, loss of Wi-Fi etc? :sweat_smile:

Actually I was looking at https://www.chartjs.org/ yesterday so I am thinking the same as you :wink:
Maybe I’ll add it within a week or two.

I will probably let you connect the app to the meter reader value in addition to the consumption in a bit. This will probably give you the same effect (except for reliability). At least on my eva meter reader the meter value change trigger exactly once every hour so I suspect it to be the same as the Elhub values however I have not tried to compare them 1:1.

I keep getting crash reports from a few users after the last stable release, but I can’t seem to figure out exactly where the problem is as it is only reported within the Homey API itself:

Error: Timeout after 5000ms
    at Function.timeout (/node_modules/homey-api/lib/Util.js:57:26)
    at HomeyAPIApp.call (/node_modules/homey-api/lib/HomeyAPI/HomeyAPIV2.js:359:28)
    at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:96:5)
    at async ManagerDevices.value (/node_modules/homey-api/lib/HomeyAPI/HomeyAPIV2/Manager.js:261:24)

If someone feels like they could be affected by this crash, please get in touch. I would like to get more insights into the problem from whoever is affected.

Now you have 5 in spare (as you can add 1-5 custom modes in addition to the 3 default ones) with fully customizable names (so I had to deprecate the old flow card to set the mode in favor of a new one, though the old one should still be working).

Version 0.15.1 at your service.

1 Like