[APP][Pro] Piggy Bank

My Tibber subscription ended, so in the Easee app under Planlegg, smart charging is off. I tried to recreate your flow, but when I tried to create the “Then” logic card I cannot find the status text from the menu. Here is what I created until now

When I run this flow the charger status shows “car connected”

There is something wrong I am doing. I tried different flows but the charging won’t start and if I start charging via Easee app or Easee app for Homey. Piggy bank will stop the charging via Easee app for homey.

I tried the following flows combinations with different variables

When
Easee charger → Charger status changes → standby/paused/car connected

Then
Start charging cycle kwh/hours

Since I have to charge the car tonight and only way I can do is to disable the Easee in pigy bank configure app.

Ok, then we know it can communicate with the charger at least, this is good progress.
But it will only turn it down if a charging cycle has not been started.

In this comment you had a screenshot where you managed to start a charging cycle. Did you not observe the same behavior now?

If not, then you can press the “play”-button on the flow card to trigger it manually. Maybe the when-condition you used was not working?

@Arunav_Mandal, I assume you missed this one?

Am I right assuming the “status” tag I see in your flow is the same as the second one in this image?

The second one in my image, “Status”, comes from the charger itself and is read-only, can’t be changed by a flow.

Since your current flow doesn’t set the “status” variable anywhere, the whole point of checking the previous value is not achieved…Read this and watch the video at the top if what I’m saying makes no sense.

@dooniem I have recreated the flow, and now the value status is from the charger. Do I need any other flow to start the charging?

I am going to test it today with a short end time and high kwh value

You keep using “Status”, which could work, but I don’t know how quickly it updates. Try to copy my flow example: Use the tag returned by the flow-trigger.

In both the cards where you set EaseeStatus, when you click the “tag-button” to select a tag, click the first tag that appears in the list. It will say “Local tags” is the header “Charger status” as tag-name.

Hopefully you did this?

Before you plug your car in, make sure the value of EaseeSatus is “standby”. If you plan to plug in your car at 18:00, then make sure you change “before: 07:00” to “before: 20:00” before you plug in. 30kWh is good.
Press “Save” not “Test” in the flow. The flow will fire when plugging in.
Plug in car. Open Easee app. Maybe on first charge session it autostarts immediately. Just leave it for 5 minutes and see what happens. Maybe more if you plug in at exactly 18:00.
This setting decide how quickly you start charging:
At 18:00 and if your house is using lots of power, maybe you have to wait to save up enough “reserve” for Piggy to actually start the charger.

I am having problem with it turning off my charger almost immediately. Can’t get the Easee to stay on charge.

I am pretty sure the Sparegris-app is the reason for it turning off because when I removed the charger it from the app it now stays on.

Can it have something to do with the variable “Terskel for ladestart” or “Minste ladeeffekt” ? What should these be if my charger is charging with 8.1kW?

I only have these variables as given below. You have used “Charger status” is that the same as the one in my snipe? Under Easee charger I only have “Status”

I have done the changes Delt Flow | Homey

Is this correct?

This is how Piggy works, it will only charge in the cheapest hours if you have an active charging cycle. You need to start a charging cycle with a flow card (it will also be possible from the interface later)

But you got me thinking, I will add an always on option to charging that will be default for those with fixed prices. Then only the max-current will be controlled. No point in having charging cycles then…

Also, if you have Tibber, you need to disable smart charging so Tibber doesn’t interfere with Piggy. (please note that the charging function also just came out of beta and it has only been tested with people not having Tibber, so there might be an unknown factor here for Tibber users - if so I would very much like to learn about it so I can improve the experience for Tibber users.

When configured correctly you should not even see the “Minste ladeeffekt”. This option is not visible when you have added Easee as a controllable device. The Threshold value tells you that the charger should not start using current before at least this amount of free power is available. 2000W is fine, it will auto-adjust up to your max value if that amount of power becomes available.

@dooniem @frodeheg Did a few tests, and here are the findings.

The flow I used to do the test is

My current consumption is around 4 to 5 kwh. In the Piggy Bank, if I use Maximum hourly as Step-3 5-10kw, charging starts and stop after a few sec.

If I chose Step-4, 10-15kw charging works fine. Why Piggy bank cannot reduce the Easee current?

Even though your consumption is around 4-5 kWh there might be occasional spikes that will cause Piggy to reduce the power. In case of an event where power was reduced then there will be a delay of 1-5 minutes before charging is attempted again.

It may also be that the Easee app did not update the current state before Piggys throttle time. In this case Piggy might try to reduce the charging current even more although the previous setting had not been confirmed yet. If this is the case the charger will turn off when it shouldn’t. To prevent this, try to increase the minimum toggle time. If you find out that a larger minimum toggle time is needed please let me know and I will increase the default value.

As for the flow, I am not sure how well it will work because I have no charger, @dooniem will have to comment on that, but you do give me an idea, I can add an auto-start charging cycle feature built into the app when a car is connected if you think that is a nice feature.

@frodeheg
I don’t think there were any spikes, as I was watching the active consumption via Tibber pulse. I checked Easee logs, and it didn’t reach the throttle time of 120s. Is there any way to debug more and see what commands Piggy sends to Easee?

Charging started: 19:28:21
Charging off: 19:58:51

Regarding the auto-start charging cycle, I think that would be a great feature. There can be a toggle option under settings. Charger On/off/Auto

1. If charger is On, then start charging immediately
  2. If charger is Off, then start charging won’t start
  3. If charger is Auto, then start charging during low-cost hours (or as defined in the variable under charger and price settings)

Ok. Before the update I believe it started by itself when set to “Av hvis krise” under “Prisstyring”? That’s why I didn’t get it to work now.

So now I have to make a flow that that tells it when to start and under what circumstances (price level)?

Not a lot but I may add more tomorrow if you still believe it’s an issue.

Ok, will be followed up in this ticket.

Hmmm… anything other than “Controlled” on the charger was never implemented so that must have been by chance. I will probably fix this as part of the linked ticket above. (add an option for automatic start)

No, Piggy handles the price control, all you need to do is to tell Piggy to enable the charger x hours in total before the clock is yy:zz

@frodeheg

The debugging option would be nice to have as I want to see what command Piggy is sending to Easee as at this moment piggy only switches on and off.

@frodeheg Currently, Piggy will make the charging plan, and the hours it needs to charge without knowing the battery status of the car.

For example, the current charge of my car is 75%, and I have set the max charge at 80%. When I say to Piggy to charge the cheapest 40kwh before 07:00, it makes a plan for 6hrs starting at 0000hrs even if 5% charge can be done much faster, maybe in 1hr, and at 0400 when it is cheapest than 0000hr. So continuous feedback is needed from the car to Piggy, so it can determine the best and cheapest charging plan

The whole point of setting a high number was for you to test…When finished testing you can use tags for both kWh and end time. I don’t have a good car app, so I have to tell Siri my battery percentage before plugging in, then a homeyscript calculates what kWh to put into the Sparegris flow card. If I forget, it defaults to 60% battery status. Tesla owners probably have state of charge (soc), hell, for all I know you have a tag with kWh?
If not use a simple logic card to calculate what the remainder is when plugging in.
Not sure if @frodeheg have enough data about your battery state, if you stop at 80% or 100% to make a good auto schedule?
Unless you start to add cars as controlled units in Piggy? :sweat_smile:
So making your own charging flow is probably going to give you best results over time. If you have iOS I can teach you how to change ie the end time through Siri

I have created the flow exactly as yours, but still, charging won’t start. Piggy displays that charging is enabled from 00:00hrs. I have iOS.

Hi, I am new to this app, and try to understand how its working.

My goal is mainly to keep the max hourly consumption under 10 kW, second is to charge my Tesla at the cheapest hours with my Easee charger.

As far as I understand - I have to:

• Enable Easee as a controllable device
  • Setting price management to Automatic,
  • Setting Price Kind to External under Advanced, to use prices from the “Strømregning” app
  • Make a flow to start the charging session with “Start charging cheapest xxx kWh before HH:MM” or “Start charging xxx cheapest hours before HH:MM”

Has anyone managed to fetch the battery status from a Tesla, to get a more precisely ordering of kWh’s in the flow?

I am currently using Jedlix to charge when cheapest (using Tesla API), but I could not reduce the charging power when there is high power usage. Is it possible to let Piggy Bank only control the charging power?

There is a Tesla smart charger app. I guess you have checked for labels provided by that app and even the Trigger “when battery level change” to see if that returns a value?