[App][Pro] OpenWeather

Thank you @RonnyW , so until we get values updates, it’s fine to use API 2.5, correct ?

Still it’s working perfectly - I’m using Actual Weather (every 4min), +0d,+4h, Alerts, Air Quality (60min), Air Quality +5h. - I will get around 360 + 24 API calls a day + x Alerts assuming that +0d,+4h are child devices? I guess it’s not possible to implement some kind of API calls counter, to understand costs impact with API 3.0, right. I don’t see any counter eg. on Members

Your device will be marked as unavailable with a message about invalid API key in device details if the key is not accepted.

All devices you set a API key (OneCall current weather, FreeAPI current weather, AirQuality current) will make API calls - one call for every period.
The ‘current/location’ devices are pushing forecasts or alerts to their child devices. So you can have several forecasts without additional API calls.

1 Like

I forgot one detail.

The free API key has no counter in the OWM account. You will get a eMail from OWM if you hit the limit.

With subscription you will see the counter in OWM account.bThere you can set a limit. This way you can set it to 1000 calls to avoid a payment.
So far the information in the OneCall FAQ.

2 Likes

When you login to your OWM account, you see this bar:

Click “Billing plans”, there for 3.0 you have already created a plan using the paywall, there you can set the limit:

I have set mine to 950 as you can see. Slightly below (not displayed) you can also click usage statistics

Hope this helps someone find this limit, as it might not be obvious to find.

Many thanks @RonnyW

3 Likes

Beste,

De app word niet meer ondersteund.

Kan je dit verhelpen?

Hi,
please keep the conversion in english in this “global” part of the forum. Thanks.

What is not working? The whole app or a device?
Please share a screenshot that I can see what’s happening.

Btw… you surely read some of the last post in this thread. OWM is changing their API rules and webservice APIs. That will corrupt existing apps using this API. But there are new devices for OneCall API (subscription with 1000 free calls/day) and free API.

And reporting issues here is a better way than bad reviews. Usually I/we can help and often issues are caused by the API provider (openweather.com).

Give Ronny one star and now you want help… while there’s nothing wrong with this app.
Shoot me.

4 Likes

Hey Goedenavond,

De app is ook fantastisch! Maar hij word niet meer ondersteund.

Bekijk even deze afbeelding.

Ik zou graag alles in het Engels neer willen zetten maar dat lukt mij gewoon niet.

Frank

Ik zal ff proberen om die referentie te verwijderen of kan jij die verwijderen?

Please check the FAQ:

The older devices are marked as deprecated. That means they are still working, but can stop work in future if OWM will change their API rules (like announced). You can’t these devices again in pairing dialog.

Therefore are some new devices addes. One for the free API key and some more for the OneCall API key 3.0 (subscription with 1000calls/day) including forecasts.

So you can still use your devices. But the popup will be present (design comes from Athom).
For the future you can switch to the new free API device.
If you would like to have forecast, you will need a OneCall API 3.0 key. Please check the last forum posts. There this API change from OWM is widely discussed :slight_smile:

Ronny,

Bedankt dat je zo netjes geantwoord hebt. Ik heb de review verwijderd.

Het Engels heb ik vertaald naar Nederlands en heb het begrepen. Mijn excuses dat ik dat gedaan hebt. Ik had niet verwacht dat je zo ontzettend snel zou reageren.

Ik ben nu aan het kijken voor een nieuw apparaat. De API die ik nu gebruikt word niet meer ondersteund met de hoeveelheid neerslag. Deze gebruik ik voor het zonnescherm in combinatie met onze zonnestroom installatie.

Bedankt voor jou tijd.

Mooie avond.

Frank

1 Like

English version:

If you need precipitation and forecast then you should use the OneCall 3.0 API. You have to create a 3.0 key and subscribe, but you still have 1000 views/day free and can set a limit to avoid paying.
See this comment:

You can create the API key here:
https://home.openweathermap.org/subscriptions/billing_info/onecall_30/base?key=base&service=onecall_30

For details please check the FAQ below “One call by call” subscription
https://openweathermap.org/faq

So you have 1000 views/day free and all weather data (current, hourly, daily).

Dutch version especially for you :wink:

Als u neerslag en voorspellingen nodig heeft, moet u de OneCall 3.0 API gebruiken. Je moet een 3.0-sleutel maken en je abonneren, maar je hebt nog steeds 1000 views / dag gratis en kunt een limiet instellen om te voorkomen dat je hoeft te betalen.
Zie deze opmerking:

U kunt hier de API-sleutel maken:
https://home.openweathermap.org/subscriptions/billing_info/onecall_30/base?key=base&service=onecall_30

Raadpleeg voor meer informatie de veelgestelde vragen onder het abonnement “One call by call”
https://openweathermap.org/faq

Je hebt dus 1000 views/dag gratis en alle weergegevens (actueel, uurlijks, dagelijks).

1 Like

Hey,

Bedankt voor je email.

Ik ga geen betaalgegevens invoeren voor deze app.

Ik begrijp je zeker om deze app te gebruiken is voor 1000 stuks per dag gratis, maar ik ga geen betaalgegevens delen met een organisatie waarvan ik dit niet perse nodig vind.

Ontzettend bedankt voor je inzet en ik begrijp je zeker. Het is alleen dat ik mijn gegevens moet delen. Daar sta ik niet voor open.

Greetz

Frank

It’s not my subscription, it’s OpenWeather.
I’m only community developer working for free :wink:

If you prefer the free API, you can use the CurrentWeather device with limited data.

You can use translation programs like “Google Translate” or “DeepL”. These programs can translate excellently in both directions. So it should not be a problem to have the conversation in English.

Look what happened :wink:

1 Like

I have the problem that I get an error message with the app openweathermap.
And the reason is that the API key is supposedly invalid.
I have already reset the device and generated a new API at openweathermap.org but it does not help.
Maybe the error is in the app?
Can anyone confirm this?
2022-09-24 08.48.06
2022-09-24 08.43.07

What Api key are you using? The free one (2.5) or with subscription (3.0)?
Please choose the correct Api version on pairing or in device settings.

If you haven’t use the free Api key (2.5) in the past with a Onecall device, you would need an Api key with subscription now.

Please check the post oround this one:

For further questions, please ask again.

Hi @RonnyW,
I would like to come back to the language topic.
You changed the languages for the current weather and the weather forecasts already. But the language in the Weather Alerts device is still in English.
On the API website of OpenWeather I saw that the API supports multilingual. However, I don’t know if this will work also with Weather Alerts, because the datas are from an external service.
Is it possible to change the Weather Alerts also in German? I would like to use them via TTS.

Hi @DirkG ,
the API is multilangual for the weather descriptions.
But the weather alerts are provided by the weather provider itself. So OWN is only using the data presented by them. For Germany it’s the DWD.
And they are sending english AND german alerts. In most cases in combination so you get two desctiptions for the same alert, one in english and one in german.
And as OWM is not providing any parameter (language, type) the app can’t differentiate the alerts to hide duplicated ones.

This should be the default:
grafik
But DWD for Germany provides both languages.

That is very, very sad. :pensive: