[APP][Pro] NetScan (Version 2.0.6, Test Version 2.0.8)

Hi,

Could it be possible to make a solution to add multiple devices at once?
Like a list where you can add lines with IP + name and then hit ‘configure’.

I’m not sure as it doesn’t conform to the normal Homey process, but I will take a look when I get a moment.

1 Like

I have added some devices from my network to test this app. Some devices that are online and can be pinged from the computer is offline in Net Scan. Is there a good answer to this? :slight_smile:

You could try different ports or the other type of device.
The app sends a message to the IP address and if it gets no response then it assumes the device is offline. If the device ignores the message then it can get a false offline status.
Ideally the app would use ping but that’s a low level function that is not accessible to Homey apps.

Thank you for the information :+1:

How can I choose ports here?
Added by IP.

You need the other device type when adding to adding to Homey.

Is there a way to find out which port an IP is using in the network?
I tried 80+IP in the TCP setup, still getting offline error.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way as it depends on the device and firewall configuration, etc.
There are programs that can scan all the ports on a devices and return the result of each one. It can take a while to scan, so I can’t build it into the wizard as Homey would timeout before it’s finished.

I did read this thread and if I understand correctly, the “ping” used by this App is neither an ArpPing nor the native OS’s ping (which requires root access). Correct ? Instead it’s using some custom implementation (but which one ?)

I am asking because I can’t detect my “Boxx” device (a Belgian version of the “Toon” thermostat from the Netherlands) although I can ping it from Windows, but NetScan does not see it.

I checked if any port is opened on the device with Advanced Port Scanner. But it’s not the case

So, I can’t use the TCP “feature”… But clearly the device is online as Advanced Port Scanner displays a status “Alive”. I am therefore wondering what alternative I have, if any ?

You are correct. Ping requires root access for either the os ping or the raw sockets.
The app can differentiate between a rejection and no reply, so if there are no open ports that is the only hope.
I have asked Athom if they could provide access to ping through the API but the response wasn’t favourable, so I doubt it will happen.

2 Likes

Thx for the feedback. A pity that Athom is not offering a solution. I am very far from an expert in security and can’t imagine the possible attacks if ping was installed with setuid root on an appliance… (Or… is homey rootless ?)

If Athom just created an API to access the ping function from an app, I can’t see why that would be a security risk at all. They already do that type of thing for mDNS.

So I think it’s just down to time and demand.