[App][Pro] Bose Devices

@Shakesbeard

I found information about the API, which can be used to control different Bose Devices (Switchboard API)

More infirmation can be found here: https://developer.bose.com/switchboard

The following devices would be supported with that API:

• Bose Home Speaker 300
  • Bose Home Speaker 450
  • Bose Home Speaker 500
  • Bose Soundbar 500
  • Bose Soundbar 700
  • Bose Portable Home Speaker

@Max_Menther Thanks a bunch. I will look into this in detail soon. Am currently working on a major update of the LIFX (LAN) app. I cannot promise but maybe the Bose app will be the next one for an overhaul then :smiley:

1 Like

@Shakesbeard
I made further research and noticed thatā€˜s not as easy as expected.
ā€žā€¦ sadly they do not offer direct connections to the smart speakers. Instead they utilize their web-api to communicate with the devices. Additionally, they require developers to register their application with them in order to obtain OAuth2 tokens and want to be involved in the registration process if more than 50 users are planned to access the registered applicationā€œ.,
Source: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/bose-500-smart-speaker/167323/4

@Max_Menther Yeah, I have no access to the API reference, yet. I applied for that though.
OAuth2 and app registration should not be that big an issue but getting the allowance to even look at the specification is the first blocking point. I will see if I can get my hands on the details and see from there.

@Shakesbeard
I found a plugin for homebridge. Maybe you can get something out of it:

@Max_Menther Well, looks simple enough. But no use until I can at least register a test key :smiley: Thanks anyways

@Shakesbeard
Youā€˜re welcome.

Btw: Tks for your great work

1 Like

To all my dear app users. I keep getting sent diagnostic reports without any contact info.
I would love to help with diagnostics but I simply cannot because I have no way to contact the people who report the issues.
Therefor I ask one favor. When you submit a diagnostic report, please include your email contact or a forum name so I can get back to you about the issue.

Also I received a recent report saying "The app loose connection with the speakers all the timeā€¦ ". However, the diagnostic log does not indicate such happening at all. I do however see that the devices hang up on Homey and the app tires to reconnect to the device. Does anyone else see such an issue? From what the diagnostics tell me it looks like that Homeyā€™s network connection is unstable. Hence I would like to know if more people see such issue with the app.

In general the app is pretty aggressive on losing the connection. Means, that it reconnects as soon as the connection has terminated. It never terminates it by itself. So that connection drop is either caused by Homey or the Bose device, respectively a network problem. If this is a bigger issues I would try to change the behaviour and let the app try reconnect first before flagging a device unavailable. At the moment the device is set unavailable in Homey as soon as the connection to the device is terminated.

Any feedback is very welcome, even positive feedback :wink:

1 Like

Hi, What is the situation with Bose home speakers? I have a portable home speaker is it possible to use it or not for now ? thanks!

Hi @MichalV,
As stated in the first post here, Bose keeps ignoring all the developers (I am not the only one) requests to grant access to the new SwitchBoard API which is required for their new smart home line of devices.
For the time being only SoundTouch based devices are supported.

Thank you very much for express response :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello

Iā€™ve read through most of the posts (But not all of themā€¦ itā€™s quite a long story here).
It is very unfortunate that only soundtouch devices are compatible. Is there any specific reason why Soundbar 300ā€¦500ā€¦700 series have never been implemented in this app?

I own the 700series and it would be a great addition to my homey pro. :grinning:
In case Iā€™m open for any help in this matter.

Hi @David_Bianchetti,
Itā€™s explained in the very first post at the very top, why the smart home series products are not supported, yet.
The short answer is: Bose is, at least at the moment, not cooperating with their community developers for reasons no one knows.

Thank you for your explanation. I completely overpassed that section where you mentioned your reasons about Bose non cooperating with the Community.

1 Like

I have two SoundTouch 20 Series III speakers. The experimental PLAY NOTIFICATION card sometimes works, sometimes it gives HTTP_STATUS_BAD_REQUEST . Tested with local webserver.

Hi @Heronimus,
thatā€™s great news. I didnā€™t know it works at all, yet :smiley:
BAD_REQUEST is interresting. I have not touched the implementation of it in quite a while. But if your message contains and < or > characters it most likely wonā€™t work. Maybe that could be the reason?
What do you mean by

Do you mean, using that as soundfile source?

The soundfile (1h15min) was too big i think (57MB). I created a 1 minute MP3 file, and now it seems to work. I will do more test coming days, it seems to work, including Reason and Message! (I use it with Heimdall variables to show Zone and Sensor names)

That just be the problem. Bose somewhere states that the notification sounds should only be a few seconds or something. Well, a notification beep or whatever.

Let me know what your experience is with this feature :slight_smile:

Hello everyone,

I am looking for volunteers who would be willing to test drive the SDKv3 version of the Brose Devices app.
v2.0.0 is on the test channel: Bose Devices | Homey

Unfortunately I got no spare devices to test everything.

Following aspects need testing:

• :orange_circle: Homey App UI
  • :orange_circle: Trigger flowcards
  • :orange_circle: Action flowcards
  • :orange_circle: Condition flowcards
  • :black_circle: Device pairing

My fancy makeshift legend (matter to change during the progress I guess :smiley: ):
:green_circle: Tests completed successfully
:black_circle: Testers required
:yellow_circle: Tests in progress
:orange_circle: Tests in progress, more testers required
:red_circle: Tests failed (app update required)

One thing though. Letā€™s avoid polluting this forum page too much.
So please send me any test results as a direct message on this forum. I will update this post with the testing result status.

What I need to know:

• What device did you test with
  • Which features / flowcards you tested
  • And of course the result

Thanks a bunch, any help is highly appreciated.

1 Like

Good morning!
Just checking in, to see if thereā€™s anything I can do to make the Homey-Bose connection happening. Accidentally bought two extra of these speakers :joy: