[APP][PRO] Audit

Yesterday I received an email from Better Stack, hat I have already exceeded my 3 GB:

The interesting thing is, that it looks that the data logs are not stored for 3 days, but for 7 days:

On the settings page of Homey it’s also written, that Logs will be stored 7 days:

But I can’t change it from 7 to 3 days myself.

Anyone else with this problem? Does anyone have a solution?

Hmm, it’s a peculiar site, Bstack.
I can’t find the graph you show :laughing: like, nowhere.

Only thing I found is 234MB storage for both Homey’s, but no clue if it’s only today, this week, totals…

BTW, I’ve set it to use level ‘Notice’, verbosity ‘Detail’, Dirk

1 Like

It’s for data storage for the month, so it wouldn’t matter if it displays 7 days or 30, take the win if you’re getting better retention.

I would also recommend notice or info debug is useful only for debugging.

Best to go through your logs and see whats creating all the noise.

You can create dashboards in betterstack so I just opened it up to screenshot for you and saw clearly there is an issue with something reporting in my backyard, since this morning.

I moved a motion sensor - looks like the dog door is setting it off …

3 Likes

With Audit version 1.0.16 I noticed that there are quite a number of archived message files. Presently 14 as described. I can only delete all message files or none. So how to keep the active one and delete the rest?
The build in weather of homey information has level alert?
On an Audit App restart I only get with the app flow card: Audit … stopping. The Audit log has in addition : … has been initialized. Can we get this info via flow card too, if possible with the version info of the app? For all apps please.

Thx

I received the same notice and was looking through the data, there is a lot of information i don’t need… So i was wondering if you are planning a way of disabling “audit” for certain devices?
For example with a on/off slider and maybe (if possible) a separate verbosity selector?

For example the only information i’m interested to see in the below are the two highlighted, the rest is useless, not having this would save 80%

I’m fairly sure the 80/20 rule applies to most of this data

The 80/20 rules applies but each person has a different 80/20 - personally I dont find any thing to do with power useful at all - as energy companies is Australia provide smart Zigbee meters.

I have a way to give control to users as to what gets logged at what level, but I was just a Proof of concept. I don’t have the time right now to implement it - but ill let you know when I get down to it on my list of things to do.

2 Likes

I also think you should log at [notice] level, not [info], when you’re not searching for issues.
And the Bstack filter options are there for a reason :blush:
I’d rather have a bit too much info logged, as missing out on stuff.
Just my POV though!

@Techniman it is a good point, betterstack is there for a reason, which is to allow you to only show the information you care about. So filter it out by either the capability or the device which you care about. … Its why I went to the effort to include all that information in the payload.

I have an issue of a flow not triggering, i was hoping to find through audit the reason why but i couldn’t see the forrest throught the trees…

Sorry for late reply, @Peter_Kawa and @Jamie.

I paused the Audit App and BS some days ago, and now it seems that all log files are deleted, what I also wanted.

Now I changed the Log Level from Info to Notice. Verbosity is still set at Detail.
So I will have a look on the data amount the next days.

The large amount of data in a short time is probably due to the app settings of course and the fact that I have many devices, which deliver data every one, two three seconds, e.g. a Qubino 3-Phase Smartmeter (Z-Wave). I have a lot of Z-Wave devices in use which deliver often more data at shorter intervals, in comparison to Zigbee or cloud devices.

To create a dashboard in BS will be the next step.

I see. I didn’t know you were actually troubleshooting right at that moment :man_shrugging:
Because you were just mentioning this:

Still the filter option of Bstack is a great start to focus on stuff imho.

Feature request:
A “When” Flow card:

• When a device becomes unavailable

Also, right now an update on the ‘available’ property gives only a notice log, however an unavailableReason change gives an Alert. Since the flow cards “any device has changed” would rate limit, as I’ve understood it, perhaps another posibility is a “when an audit is level [level]”, to be able to catch Alerts and Emergency audits with the Homey itself?

I’ve tracked the health of my devices through checking if any capabilties of a device has been updated within a reasonable time for that device. I’ve also started checking all devices ‘available’.

I did this after I noticed in BetterStack that if a device became unavailable, there was a log message. There’s even an Alert with unavailableReason.

Outside of a script watching the log files, I started seeing if I could do something with the flow cards, so I figured this suggestion might make sense.

Exists already, but from an other app:

1 Like

Thanks, Peter. It felt like there would be some solution to this already!

1 Like

A “When” Flow card:

• When a device becomes unavailable

Ill look at adding this next time I update the application.

Also, right now an update on the ‘available’ property gives only a notice log, however an unavailableReason change gives an Alert.

Your right I don’t think ive put it at the right level, Ill have a look at changing the level, when I next update the app.

Since the flow cards “any device has changed” would rate limit, as I’ve understood it, perhaps another posibility is a “when an audit is level [level]”, to be able to catch Alerts and Emergency audits with the Homey itself?

I originally had the ability to do this in the app, but the app was rejected by Athom as they were concerned about the amount of logging (the fact it was rate limited didnt seem to change their mind). The work around for this was to allow the app to action flows when a capability type was triggered - dim etc. You can add all the capabilities as triggers to a single flow and youll get the same effect as ‘if any capability changes’.

I’ve tracked the health of my devices through checking if any capabilties of a device has been updated within a reasonable time for that device. I’ve also started checking all devices ‘available’.

If there is a way you think I can help make this easier for you please let me know.

I did this after I noticed in BetterStack that if a device became unavailable, there was a log message. There’s even an Alert with unavailableReason.

Outside of a script watching the log files, I started seeing if I could do something with the flow cards, so I figured this suggestion might make sense.

Just to set expectations, I haven’t done anything on this app since the last update, version 2 is on hold. Still planning on updating the flow action cards for betterStack to be … better … more natural.

1 Like