[APP][Pro] Amazon - Alexa

Jamie,
You can publish to App Store for just testing, without publishing it out to all the public.

From CLI just issue:
homey app publish

Then on developer.athom.com -> Apps SDK -> MyApps -> [your app] choose the SUBMISSION near your latest version. Then you’ll see your APP is only a DRAFT. Click to move it to TEST stage. DON’T click to move it to certification. You’ll see a link to test version - just pass this link to all the testers you want - they will get access to test version in the App Store and no one else.

Piotr

Hey Piotr, That only works once you have a first version published. Until then the app does not allow the test link. And Jamie’s biggest problem with this system is that the Test link can be used by anyone after that, he can not hand pick a group of people to test.
And he is right that a small group of valuable testers is way more useful than a spam of low quality bug reports.

OK, I didn’t know that limitation.

Reg. small group of valuable users - I agree. I also prefer this when I develop and test my apps for Homey.

Thats correct @Kaoh, noth in regards to its impossible to have a test app and how to test.

I’ve trial this new approach with my Arlo app, there is over 100 testers. But I am still unsure as to what is/isn’t working. :cry: Its still just 3 or 4 people who are doing the actual testing.

Just a FYI the alexa app failed due to the read me not being as clear as they would like. Which in hindsight is fair. As its doesnt explain how it differs from the Homey Alexa Skill, nor is it clear it only works for USA.

Ill come back to it once the arlo app is stable and tested.

1 Like

@Jamie just wondering on how the progress is going here? Still cant wait for this app, but on UK account and with Echo dot 3 devices, so not on your supported list :smiley:

Honestly, Due to the way to app store worked, where you had to publish and app in order to get it certified for testing I artificially removed support for most devices except one kinda rare one, (I own) in order to test the app.

However, Athom last week announced its not possible to get an app certified and start testing with out publishing it. I need to just verify that this is will work just as it sounds. If so - ill be re-adding the servers and some more common devices, then ill submit the app for certification so that we can start testing together.

Also credit where credit is due, I think that its important if we are going to complain to Athom, that we also celebrate them when they listen and/or make things better!

9 Likes

Yes please submit the app and announce to us (alpha testers) that you did it and I for one will test and send reports if things fail. The old 1.7.0a version is working fine here (with a restart every 3 hours), but I like to see new functionality in the future. Just but a big remark in the description announching its beta and no functionality promised and only install if you want to participate in testing the app… we’ll back you up :slight_smile:

It was submitted a while ago - its still in review. . . Ill let you know the moment I hear anything.

6 Likes

Bit of a good news / bad news situation.

The app passed review, but there looks like there is a bug in the app store where when an item is approved but not published submitting a second item kills the test link.

2 Likes

Keep going @Jamie. :muscle::smirk:

1 Like

Arghh! So now you have to wait till that new submission is approved? Like only one item in test allowed?
I hope they quickly fix it, it we can help let us know

1 Like

I think this question will be stupid.
But where of under which name can I find this great app…??!

Thnx guys

1 Like

Hey everyone,

2.4.101 - Public Beta

This is the final ‘beta’ , the next version will be the version which is publicly available to everyone (RC).

I currently expect the RC to be submitted to Athom in about 48 hours, the public beta will stop working at that time.

Version 2.4.101 was submitted to the Athom 3 days ago, since then there has been a minor change the the device capabilities, which will require that devices added during the beta will need to be re-added in the next version.

If you are interested in testing you can install here

Change log since the version (1.7.0)

• 1.7.1: Change compatibility to require version 3.*
  • 1.8.0:Change compatibility to require version 4.*
  • 1.8.1 : Add latest changes in amazon cookie/authentication
  • 1.8.2 : Remove formatting from readme.
  • 1.8.3 : Update known issues document.
  • 2.0.0 : Version 2 reset
    • Removed Amazon EU server
    • Removed Amazon Far East server
    • Removed Echo Dot Gen1
    • Removed Echo Dot Gen2
    • Removed Echo Dot Gen3
    • Removed Echo Plus Gen1
    • Removed Echo Plus Gen2
    • Removed Echo Show Gen1
    • Removed Echo Show Gen2
    • Removed Echo Gen1
    • Removed Echo Gen2
    • Removed Fire Tablet HD10.7
    • Removed Ecobee
    • Removed Sonos Beam
    • Removed Sonos One
    • Removed the ability to control Alexa smart home devices from Homey
    • Removed Volume control
    • Removed Play
    • Removed Pause
    • Removed Previous/Next
    • Removed Track
    • Removed Artist
    • Removed Album
    • Removed Playing
    • Removed the ability to make Alexa device speak
    • Removed the ability to make Alexa device announce
    • Removed the ability to make Alexa device whisper
    • Removed the additional 28 Voices which you could make your Alexa device talk as.
    • Removed the ability for Homey to speak via Alexa
    • Removed Todays Calendar
    • Removed Tomorrows Calendar
    • Removed Next Calendar Entry
    • Removed Alexa tell a story\n
    • Removed Alexa sing a song
    • Removed Alexa give a fun fact
    • Removed Alexa say a joke
    • Removed Alexa help clean up
    • Removed Alexa Confirm
    • Removed Alexa Compliment
    • Removed Alexa Compliment
    • Removed Alexa I’m Home
    • Removed Alexa Goodbye
    • Removed Alexa Birthday
    • Removed DE support
    • Removed NL support
  • 2.0.1 : Added sentry logging
  • 2.0.100 : Removed version from app name
  • 2.0.101 : Alterations for certification
  • 2.0.200 : Update to alexa communication layer library
  • 2.1.100 :
    • Adds support for Amazon EU server
    • Adds Support for Amazon Far East Server
  • 2.1.200 : Update logging.
  • 2.1.201 : Remove setting overrides.
  • 2.2.100 : Adds basic support for Echo Dot (Gen2)
  • 2.2.200 : Adds basic support for Echo Plus (Gen1)
  • 2.3.100 : volume of device will update when altered externally
  • 2.3.200 : When playing media on your alexa, the album art work will now display
  • 2.3.300 : When media is paused on your alexa, homey app will also update and be paused
  • 2.3.400 : When media is playing the artist/song/album(playlist) will be displayed and auto update
  • 2.3.500 : Alexa can now speak/whisper/announce via an action flow again
  • 2.3.510 : Alexa can now give you your news briefing via an action flow again
  • 2.3.520 : Alexa can now give you your traffic information via an action flow again
  • 2.3.530 : Alexa can now give you your weather information via an action flow again
  • 2.3.535 : Alexa can now give report good morning or good night via an action flow again
  • 2.3.540 : Alexa can now give you Today’s Calendar, Tomorrow’s Calendar or the Next Calendar Entry via an action flow
  • 2.3.550 : Alexa can now Sing a Song, Tell a Story, Give Fun Fact, Joke or Advise to Clean Up via an action flow
  • 2.3.600 : Alexa can now Confirm, Compliment, Welcome you home, Say Goodbye or wish you a happy birthday or Advise to Clean Up via an action flow
  • 2.3.700 : Alexa can now play a sound via an action flow, this is a work in progress, more sounds will be added in the future.
  • 2.4.100 : Device reintroduction
    • Adds support for Echo Dot Gen1
    • Adds support for Echo Dot Gen3
    • Adds support for Echo Plus Gen2
    • Adds support for Echo Show Gen1
    • Adds support for Echo Show Gen2
    • Adds support for Echo Gen1
    • Adds support for Echo Gen2
  • 2.4.101 : Fixes bug where sounds were not loading in flow autocomplete

There is some super cool things I am working on over the weekend but updates on that later. Please let me know how you go and if you come across any issues/bugs.

Thanks

7 Likes

Thank you @Jamie! The app works great! I love the TTS feature :heart_eyes:.
donated

While setting up I had a problem which I could solve:

On the first try I could set up everything and add the echo spot (server EU), but the device did not respond on a flow and did not say anything.

After I reconnected the Amazon account in the app and inserted the device again, it worked.

I guess it was because I had an Amazon account that I needed the second factor authentication with a Authenticator App. I had to enter the OTP on the first setup attempt, but not the second time.

1 Like

I have the same issue, so I did the same steps but had to enter my OTP again. So I checked the never on this browser again to be sure :slight_smile:.
Now it is working. I have two echo dot 3 devices on EU server.

@Jamie very amazing job, the app is really high quality and you clearly spend time on the use case. Amazing job.
I have a Orbi Voice as 3rd party Alexa device. If you can use the help adding support for that (if possible) I offer it gladly.
One question, can you share me how you did this authorize wizard? Looks like you found a way to capture the return url from the flow even though the redirect uri is an external location right? I need something similar for my XBox companion app.

Yeah, great to see progress.
I am trying to install the beta. Didn’t deinstall the alpha (1.7.0a) and I noticed it installed next to it. So I disabled 1.7.0 and started the configure app… but it gave two error popups (Error: not_found) and then kept saying loading…
Then I enabled the old alpha again and disconnected it from Amazon and then disabled it again.
But that didn’t help…
Restarting homey
Then configure app did work!
And I could re-add my devices and add them again to flows. I guess I’ll have to do that again when the new version comes out but that’s no problem.
Removed alpha version.
Everything seems to work fine. Will keep you posted if things change, looking forward to the super cool things, good work @Jamie!

Hey, @Kaoh and @azid so you both have 2 form authentication enabled?

@Kaoh - Authorization uses a reverse proxy to make the requests.

Sounds like there may be an issue when you login then attempt to add a new device immediately. Has anyone been able to successfully do it with out a second attempt?

While you can install 1.7 and 2.4 - It will mess things up, including not letting you add devices.

:+1: EU-Server with 2 step verification.

Thanks, ill try and see if I can replicate it on the US server; pretty disappointing bug to show up right at the start after installing the app.

Installed 2.4 for first time, using US server, using 2 factor authentication, could add devices straight away. Thanks heaps!