[APP][Pro] Network UPS Tools (NUT)

Network UPS Tools (NUT)

This app adds Network UPS Tools (NUT) support for Homey Pro.
It allows you to monitor a UPS (battery backup) by using data from a NUT server.

App store link
Source code link

What is NUT?

The primary goal of the Network UPS Tools (NUT) project is to provide support for Power Devices, such as Uninterruptible Power Supplies, Power Distribution Units, Automatic Transfer Switches, Power Supply Units and Solar Controllers. NUT provides a common protocol and set of tools to monitor and manage such devices, and to consistently name equivalent features and data points, across a vast range of vendor-specific protocols and connection media types.

NUT provides many control and monitoring features, with a uniform control and management interface. If you are just getting acquainted with NUT, that page also explains the technical design and some possible set-ups.

More than 170 different manufacturers, and several thousands of models are compatible.

Supported UPS variables

At the moment this app supports and adds capabilities for the following UPS variables:

• ups.model - UPS Name.
  • battery.charge - Current battery level.
  • battery.runtime - How many seconds battery runtime is left.
  • battery.temperature - Battery temperature.
  • ups.status - Current status.
  • input.voltage - Input voltage.
  • output.voltage - Output voltage.

You can request more capabilities to be added but these where the ones interesting on my UPS.

ToDo

• Add discovery through ZeroConf.
  • Add Energy usage for the UPSes that support that.
4 Likes

At the moment I have 1 ups in the house and 1 ups outside my home.
I can read the internal ups just fine. However, I can reach the ups external via telnet, but the Homey does not find it as a device.
Is this something that might work with your app or is this app only for internal.

For the rest, the app works flawlessly for me.

I’m not sure if it should only work within the local net. I am using node-nut for the implementation.

On a Homey Pro 2023, after entering the target IP of the UPS server. The discovery does not find any ups, while it works fine with Homey Pro 2019. I’ve sent you a diagnostic report from my Homey pro 2023 (ee25c366-c2aa-4f4f-b060-30247e6df010).

And found the problem. NUT server on the target had IP based access control. Now discovered the UPS from the server just fine.

1 Like

Hello,
ive got a question, how to add Eaton UPS with ConnectUPS X network card? Management port is at port 80 (HTTP) and SNMP 161, when im trying to add this ups, it wont connect…

Thank you, Vitek

Do you have a NUT server running somewhere? You need that to connect and talk to the UPS itself. This app talks with the NUT server.

Hi,

Just got myself a new UPS and installed that 2 days ago. Today I noticed that there is no info (runtime, input voltage etc) shown anymore. Only Battery alarm is updates (weird).
The new UPS was working, brand and type/model was shown and it was working.
Just like that it is not anymore.

What can I try or do to pinpoint the problem?

What have I done already:

Rebooted Homey Pro 2023
Rebooted NAS (there the UPS is connected to, and shows the info!)
Allowed IP on NAS are correct (the ip’s of homey)
No firewall ports closed
Rebooted UPS
Checked cables (but to nas works)
Removed the NUT app from homey pro 2023 and rebooted HP2023. reinstalled APP, shows only then as UPS and not with brandname or type.

I am lost…

Hey Mike,
Send me a diagnostic report and I’ll try to help you.

Hi thanks,

This is report:
b080a776-3cbe-443e-ade2-75c58d732a53