[App][Cloud & Pro]LinkTap App (Release 1.0.24)

This app will add LinkTap valves to Homey.
The app is available in the Homey store
Link Tap | Homey
and on GitHub
https://github.com/AdyRock/com.linktap.

Note, CLI installation will not work from version 1.0.0 onwards as the webhook requires secret codes to be registered by the app.

I have kept the interface as simple as possible:

Turn on Instant mode or cancel any current watering plan using the power button.

Clear the active alarms by taping on the Clear Alarms button.

Select a watering plan to activate. The plan must be pre-configured in the LinkTap app or you will see an error message displayed (HTTPS Error 400).

View the current status of the valve.

Look at the timeline of watering events.

To get started:

1. Tap on the Add new device button in the Homey app.

2. Select the LinkTap App if you have it already installed, else type Linktap into the search bar to install the app.

3. Select the LinkTap (cloud) option.

4. Tap on Connect

5. Enter you LinkTap Username (this is not your email address)

6. Enter your LinkTap account Password in the lower field then click on the “Connect” button. If it is successful you will see the list of valves.

7. The app will show all your LinkTap valves on all your hubs that are connected to the account and are not already in Homey.

Note: the API to get devices has a minimum interval of 5 minute so the app caches the data to ensure it is always available. The side effect is that newly added valves or hubs could take up to 5 minutes to appear when adding devices.

1. Select the valves you want to be added to Homey and tap on next.

The selected valves will then appear in the Homey devices list.

Advanced Settings
To use the Instant mode, open the Advanced Settings screen (cog in the top right corner of the device view) and enter the required details.

Save the settings once you have them as you want.
Select Instant Mode from the pick list and the command will be sent with all the settings to activate the relay.

Change Log

Version 0.0.3

• Support for G1 valves
  • German translation provided by @DirkG (thank you)

Version 0.0.4

• Fix crash if no data returned from LinkTap.
  • Fix Clear Log button.

Version 0.0.5

• Fix issue with app settings not taking effect until the app is restarted.
  • Fixed issue with the Turn Off Instant Mode flow card.

Version 0.0.6

• Fixed issue with the water volume.
  • Reset cycle remaining when instanat mode is cancelled.

Version 0.0.7

• Fixed issue the water volume units text.

Version 0.0.8

• "Added On / Off capability for quick instant mode activation / deactivation.

Version 0.0.9

• Check for new On / Off capability availability earlier to ensure it is added before being used.
  • Add more diagnostics to see the message that is sent to LinkTap.
  • Fix issue when sending log.

Version 0.0.10

• Fix error when activating instant mode on G1 tapLinkers.

Version 0.0.11

• Trap POST errors.
  • Added instructions and LinkTap URL to obtain API key

Version 0.0.12

• Added button to obtain an API key.

Version 0.0.13

• Added Dutch translation courtesy of Roy Kokkelkoren.

Version 1.0.0

• Major rewrite to use a webhook instead of polling. The app is now much more responsive but uses less CPU resources.
  • Some capabilities have been removed or changed and there are also some new ones.

Version 1.0.1

• Added Dutch translations that got lost during the merge.

Version 1.0.2

• Removed Fall and Broken alarms from G1 valves as they are not supported and where unintentionally added in the rewrite.

Version 1.0.3

• Added missing “Calendar Mode” to watering plan selection.

Version 1.0.4

• Added new German translations thanks to Dirk Göbel

Version 1.0.5

• Cleaned up ready for release submission

Version 1.0.6

• Simplified pairing and repair to only require username and password (thanks to LinkTap providing an new API option for me).

Version 1.0.20

• Released for Homey and Homey Pro.

Version 1.0.21

• Add support for ValveLinker.

Version 1.0.22

• Added ‘Total water used’ for accumulated water volume.
  • Changed battery quantity from 2 to 4.

Version 1.0.23

• Changed ‘Total water used’ units to mÂł.

Version 1.0.24
Catch failure to register webhook and retry.

4 Likes

Wow very nice! I just receied my Linktap G2 yesterday and will give it a test ride very soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

The first release of the LinkTap app is now in the store.
Link Tap | Homey

I have been in contact with TapLink support and they are very responsive, so I’m really impressed with this product.
They have said they will put more work into the API this year, so we should see some improvements in response times and maybe new features. I will be keeping active on this app to implement all API changes as soon as they are available.

It’s working! :slight_smile:

I had an API Key before for using webhooks. I tried to configure the App with the same key but it didn’t work.

After generating a new Key it worked instantly
maybe this is happening to other users as well

cheers
Daniel

1 Like

Is it necessary to buy a gateway or is a link tap G2 enough?

You will need the gateway. The valves use a custom zigbee protocol so are not compatible with standard zigbee.
You can connect multiple values to one gateway though.

to be fair the gateway hardware is tiny but has to be connected via RJ45

1 Like

Which I think is a good thing as it is more reliable than WiFi and my WiFi is getting rather crowded :grinning:

in general yes. In my case my gateway is located next to the router and homey in the middle of the house. If the gateway had wifi I would position it 10m away from the router next to a window looking in my garden. It is working anyway ,-)

1 Like

Ok, I hoped that it was not necessary. Should be less expensive. I’m curious about the solution. Nice work. I think will buy one.
There are no other options for this for Homey.

I think they are great. I think the G2 is worth the extra money as it provides extra information that is useful. But the G1 will do the job though.
I bought my first one in 2019 for my raised flowerbeds. Then I bought another one last year for my new lawn. They stay out all year and are still looking like new, plus on original batteries and going strong.
The rain skip feature is pretty good, but where I live we often don’t get the forecast rain. Hence the app so I can use other sensors to give it a boost if needed.

I ordered a linktap G2. Wil test it soon :wink:

1 Like

Hello Adrian,

thanks for the app. Very nice. It was the last reason to order the G2 I had on my wishlist since last summer.
I want to give a short feedback. I don’t know if I missed something or if it’s bug. Would be nice if yould check it.

1. After set the app options (user, API key) the add-device returned the “user unknown” error. I had to restart the app. Then I could a the device. It seems, the settings are only read while startup.

2. I can start watering via flow (I use a virtual button for manual start).
    But stopping via flow (“Sofort-Modus ausschalten”) don’t seem to work. No change at the valve or in the LinkTap app.

Thanks in advance.
Ronny

There is a new test version that fixes those two issues. Thank you for reporting them.

1 Like

Hi Adrian, I can confirm that turn off instant mode is ok with v.0.0.5. Thanks for the fix.

1 Like

Hello Adrian,
have you got information from Linktap support about a upcomming LAN API?
I found this in the HA forum:

Perhaps we get a local access to the bridge with better reponse time :slight_smile:

Yes, I have been in regular contact with their support team. This was the last I heard:

Later this year we are going to upgrade our cloud based APIs (e.g., allow user to register callback functions) to make them work more efficiently. We may also implement LAN based APIs so that the commands will not pass through our cloud server.

They will also be launching 2 new models next month, the G1S and G2S. These will have a start/stop button on the device and support seconds accurate watering modes.

I have found the support from LinkTap to be excellent.

1 Like

Hello again,
one idea for an enhancement

Would it be possible to add tags for flow event “watering has stopped” for liter and liter/min like displayed in the Linktap push notification? It would be nice to write it to the timeline.

There are global tags for water flow and water meter. So when the watering has finished event occurs you could write those to the timeline.
I must confess that I haven’t tried those yet as my garden is still waterlogged from all the rain :upside_down_face:. All my tests so far have been with the water turned off.
Let me know if that doesn’t work or if I have misunderstood your request.