Zigbee devices becoming unresponsive after a period of inactivity

Good morning,

Could it be that I am experiencing the same issue?

I have the impression that some Zigbee devices go into a kind of sleep mode after being idle for a while.

I notice this with a Tuya Zigbee button. When I press the button, nothing happens. If I press it again, it seems to wake up and then immediately performs the programmed action(s).

I have noticed similar behaviour with some Lidl Zigbee switches/power strips as well.

However, I am also experiencing this with Philips Hue sensors that are connected directly to my Homey Pro 2026.

I have two sensors installed for testing, an older model and a newer model. If they haven’t detected any movement for a while, I sometimes have to move my hand in front of the sensor several times before they respond. After that, they work normally for a while.

But if I come back, for example, 20 minutes later, the same problem occurs again.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour, and is there a known solution?

It is particularly annoying with the motion sensors, as they should respond immediately when movement is detected.

Kind regards,

True, battery powered zigbee devices do to extend battery life.
This is the case for most z-wave or wifi battery operated devices as well.

Still I was surprised my Sonoff buttons show the same behaviour: few times a press works right away, but often it needs to be pressed two times.
At the same time I have to be careful not to perform a “double press” :face_with_peeking_eye:
These are the only zigbee devices (of 70 in total) showing this behaviour.

Sensors however should not show this behaviour; all my zigbee sensors respond right away → I guessume you possibly have to

Battery operated 433MHz and IR devices don’t have this “delay” or “not responding immediately” issue, because they only send a signal as “fire and forget”; there’s no network or checks to run.