What's the advantage of virtual devices vs flows?

Hello all!

Out of interest. What is the advantage of using virtual devices rather than just flows and boolean logic values?

I have, for example, a logic value that I update depending on if I have my phone on charging or not (via Shortcut). Today I’m just updating a boolean value (IsCharging = Yes/No) but maybe I’m not using best practice here? Are there advantages of virtual devices that I have missed? A clear disadvantage is obviously that I have “devices” that aren’t really being used and it messes up the UI when I manually control my home.

Which Virtual Devices do you mean?

The builldin expirement?
The Virtual Devices App?
Or the Advanced Virtual Devices from the Device Capabilities app?

A virtual device shows in which flow it is used. For me that is a big pro.
(I creaapted a seperate zone ZZ to store the virtual devices that I do not use in the control

Well, was thinking of the built in experiment. Didn’t even know about the apps?

Hmm, care to elaborate? Not sure I fully get it

When you hold a vitual device button you have the option to view all flows that the button is used in

If I would use a variable that is set, I would not be able to trace in which flows it is used.

I find it very usefull for troubleshooting to I can easily trace where settigngs are used…

1 Like

Best for this would be the AVD from device capabilities.
Create an avd for each group, and you can add as many fields/variables that you want, of any type, give them custom names, icons, etc.

AVD seems very cool! Will check it out!

1 Like